Smart Stay feature not working?

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I've turned on smart stay so that the screen will stay on. This is not working as I thought it would.

I have the phone mounted on a quad lock handlebar mount and regardless of how the phone is positioned, the screen will turn off after 30 seconds. Even when the phone is laying on a flat surface with smart stay turned on, the screen will still turn off after 30 seconds.

It's really not practical to have to keep taping the screen while riding. I want the screen to stay on. What do I have to do to accomplish this?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Smart stay is working properly. It is designed so that the screen stays lit while you are directly looking at the phone, not when it is on a table or on bicycle handlebars.
352ce5bdb906750b4c48b3da6affa7fe.jpg

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's not designed to be that far away from your face. Here's info directly from Samsung.

"Smart stay works best under the following conditions:

• When the device is held steady and upright.

• When the device is in well-lit conditions, but the screen is not in direct light.

• When the front-facing camera is not being used by other applications."

Hope this information helps.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Screen timeout can only go a maximum of 10 minutes. No option to turn it off so the screen stays on.

Well, I also tried smart stay holding the phone out in front of me and looking directly at the screen; still turns off after 30 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Screen timeout can only go a maximum of 10 minutes. No option to turn it off so the screen stays on.
In developer setting I believe there a toggle to turn on screen all the time while phone is charging say maybe with a power bank zip tied your handle bar might be another option

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
In developer setting I believe there a toggle to turn on screen all the time while phone is charging say maybe with a power bank zip tied your handle bar might be another option
The problem is that will result in awful screen burn in, since AMOLED screens aren't designed to stay on for long periods of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere