SmartSwitch Quirks - Mostly Sounds

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I always stick to a fresh setup of new phones, but I'm exhausted this year. I did the smart switch shortcut... Can I fix these tiny quirks? Probably others but mostly these two things.

1. Notification sounds are all my default notification tone (instead of retaining unique sounds for each app or incorrect ones for contacts, or even defaults for apps they're ALL the same) - this is the biggest annoyance.
2. If I go to app info, it says I can't because it came from smart switch. I imagine now I have to delete/reinstall from the play store? Do I have to worry that apps won't update because of how I brought them over? Granted, it may tie into fixing notification sounds...

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The first one, unfortunately, comes with no solution other than either uninstalling/re-installing the app after SmartSwitch messed it up, or to clear the app's data (which, in turn, will wipe all settings and act as if you had installed the app for the first time).

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
The first one, unfortunately, comes with no solution other than either uninstalling/re-installing the app after SmartSwitch messed it up, or to clear the app's data (which, in turn, will wipe all settings and act as if you had installed the app for the first time).
Thank you! Confirmation still helps. Maybe I'll do it for at least the ones like email that I miss having its own app sounds.

Not smart switching apps again! This is exactly why I usually insist on only moving my media over.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
What SmartSwitch method did you use? It copied notification sounds over for me. Maybe try copying again.
Just through the normal prompts when starting the new phone up... too late, I have returned my old device already. It's not the end of the world, but annoying. It swapped contact notification sounds (x person had y person's sound, some lost it entirely even though my downloaded sounds all came over and show as an option) and pretty much everything was forced to the phone's default notification, making it so hard to distinguish things. (But like for my email app, there's no reverting to default, the app sounds that normally exist aren't there. It only reverts back to my phones default.)

Just one of those silly lesson learned moments. Didn't ruin my phone or anything, just reminds me I'd rather go through all the setup than dork it up like this again. I'm glad your switch went well!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What SmartSwitch method did you use? It copied notification sounds over for me. Maybe try copying again.

Problem is not copying over notification sounds, it's when an app has its own sound embedded (i.e. Snapchat, Outlook, Ring, etc.). When you do a SmartSwitch, it ports over the customization for notification sounds, but since the sound is embedded (and Android still doesn't have an option to revert back to 'app provided sound' when a custom one is selected), the custom one doesn't exist so it defaults back to, well, the default. And because of the previous note on Android's capabilities, the only way to bring back the embedded sounds is to clear all data or uninstall/reinstall an app.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Problem is not copying over notification sounds, it's when an app has its own sound embedded (i.e. Snapchat, Outlook, Ring, etc.). When you do a SmartSwitch, it ports over the customization for notification sounds, but since the sound is embedded (and Android still doesn't have an option to revert back to 'app provided sound' when a custom one is selected), the custom one doesn't exist so it defaults back to, well, the default. And because of the previous note on Android's capabilities, the only way to bring back the embedded sounds is to clear all data or uninstall/reinstall an app.

That's probably why mine work. Stuff like the ring or FB messenger app I always change from the default so when I'm sitting at a table with 5 people and a Messenger alert goes off I can just watch them all scramble as I know it wasn't me lol.

Not sure how that would mess up the OPs custom contact tones though... which is what made me think the problem was with custom notifications.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My guess? Contact ringtones need the contacts to exist on the phone. On a new phone, you're just restoring stuff, so the ringtones and settings get applied first (so the custom contact notification category doesn't yet exist).