So, how many of you are playing with Google Wave?

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Either on your PCs or on your mobile devices.

I am on Google Wave as pbrennan42ATgooglewaveDOTcom.

I have also found, so far, that the Dolphin Browser seems to work best for Google Wave on the Android, as it is loosely based on the Mac's Safari browser, although it still does go shiny from time to time.

If I could program, I'd be trying to either port Google Chrome Browser to Android, or write a specific app for signing in to and handling Google Wave. I think the latter method might be the best way to go...

Phil.

Last edited:

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Well, some people think of it as just Email v2.0, but it can do a lot more than that.

For a start it is a new open standard for communications on the internet via the PC or the mobile device. All the protocols for Wave are open, and 90% of the source code is Open Source (the other 10% being Google's corporate imaging stuff), which means that anyone can set up a Wave Server. Virgin Wave, Windows Live Wave, Tiscali Wave, T-Mobile Wave, etc. are all possible. With fully open protocols, like with email, I can send a wave from within Google Wave and get it to someone else that might be on, say, Virgin Wave.

You can think of a wave as three tools in one:

Email v2.0
Instant Message
Collaborative Document Creation Tool

Of course, it is still in Preview, so not all the things that Google want to have implemented in the first official release are implemented yet. There is still no native integration with Google Docs yet (although with iFrame gadget you can embed a Google Doc into the wave and make sure that the people who you invite into that wave also have permissions to view and edit that doc).

There isn't yet an easy way to export the contents of the wave into a document format like Microsoft Office or Open Office or PDF, but Google will get that sorted out soon enough.

Plus with extensions you can do loads of really cool stuff with it. Collaborative photo album with slide shows, embedding waves within a web page or blog post, etc.

Phil.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Phil, that's the best explanation I've heard of the Wave. I might have to borrow that, because apparently I'm not explaining well enough to get my friends on board. So here I sit with a load of invites to handout.

TheSultan

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I jumped on board full force when it first was "previewed". Unfortunately, I know very few people who use it. So, I could easily interact with ErDude on the Wave, and everyone else I know on my regular gmail. Or, I could just keep them all in one place on my gmail--it just seems "cleaner" that way for now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I had an invite and started an account, but, so far, I really have no use for it at all. I've had a few conversations with my sister, both while the other was offline, so it was just glorified email.

I can see some of the problems that Wave may solve, but at this point have no use for it.

Ginbill

Oct 30, 2009
ohhjohn.tumblr.com
I have an account and I've messed around in it a few times. I don't know.. It doesn't seem like something I'd use. Maybe I'll go back to it and find something to do with it lmao

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
It really is a great collaboration tool.

I know the guys over at ServiceTattler used it for their testers to report bugs and the like. They also used it to tell us about updates and such. Really was nice to have one place to go to check out the issues and see them respond to and fix them.

mrwashy#AC

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm on wave and agree with someone else who said it was a novelty at first but that's worn off. Because so few people I know use it there's not much for me to do with it.

I did find a couple of android waves and a couple related to work, but generally it's limited in usefulness. I've also noticed that it can be incredibly slow, particularly when there are a ton of subscribers and posts.

It is very cool though and the idea behind it is good. A good summary I heard was "usefulness, if any, will reveal itself".

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I signed up a while back and am waiting to get in or an invite, not sure how invites are given out but if it is like google voice then they let so many people in at a time and let people invite so many people a month, so you either have to know someone or wait for google to send you an invite

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
For me google wave is a dream come true. I am a college student with lectures of 200+ students and labs that we work in groups for.
For the lectures multiple classmates, simultaneously take notes in a wave, this is great for if I miss class (watch the notes develop live from home) or don't have the focus to take notes and listen.
For my group labs we use it to do or write-ups, one centralized write-up that we can all simultaneously edit.

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
It's the same with me. A friend sent me an invite, and I was soo excited about it, but he's the only friend I have that uses it! So it doesn't seem to make much sense to communicate with him on Wave and everyone else on everyTHING else . . . facebook, twitter, email, etc. Maybe one day it will just take off like Twitter did!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain Fluellen