So I got my iPhone back...

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I am only miffed about my Droid's stock presentation.

To get things to move as fluidly and naturally as they do on my iPhone I have to OC the Droid to 800MHz. That and I can tell that, to the software, my finger touching the screen just isn't as important to Android as it is to iPhone.

When my finger touches the iPhone's screen, the entire software stack from the processor into the abstraction layer, into the kernel, into the driver module, into the quartz interface, back into the processor, into the voltimeter/ohms sensor grid, up to the glass....this thing is GEARED for reading my finger accurately and responding to its movement as much as possible.

On my Droid it's almost an afterthought, everything is so laggy compared to iPhone. Something as simple as scrolling through a list is so much more important to an iPhone than any Android phone. It's almost as though Apple thought about the finger before thinking about the hardware or the software, they thought about how important it is that everything falls into place and then designed everything around THAT paradigm.

However.....on my Droid I have a car maintenance/tracking app that is nonexistent in the app store. My iStockmanager app on Android is lightyears ahead of what they did for iPhone. My RSS reader, FeedR, uses less battery and caches everything better, and it displays my data better than anything I've tried on iPhone. I've tried several different apps too. My Droid runs Youmail, which is better than the visual voicemail client for iPhone. Droid will run navigation better than any navigation app for the iPhone and I've tried a few. On the iPhone I favored Motion Drive after trying Navigon, TomTom, and Telenav. Droid's google navigation kicks the pants out of Motion Drive too. Droid will sync with my Google Calendars while iPhone will ONLY sync with MobileMe.

Crazy, I know, but I'm seriously thinking I may not keep my iPhone. Yes my music, movies, and games are far better on iPhone but my Droid is a better PIM, communication, navigation, and twittering platform (thanks to Tama-Chan's excellent Touiteur app). I may just keep an iPod Touch around for my downtime when I wanna try some games.

That's probably all I'll need, iPhone increasingly does not suit my needs anymore. Ugh. It'll be nice to get away from the AT&T tax though :)

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Well you must have fingers the size of oranges. I had an iPhone for a year and I miss nothing about the touch screen. As for scrolling, I see no difference scrolling through the contacts on the Droid - it's smooth and quick as ever. I move around faster and switch apps faster on the Droid than I did on my iPhone. Are you running a different homescreen, or the stock one? Also how are movies better in the iPhone? The screen on the Droid is a whole lot sharper and it shows with the movies. I directly compared it to my friend's 3gs and even he agreed the Droid was superior in terms of quality. As for music, except for the bass booster/equalizer, I see nothing better about the iPhone's music player.

I agree with the second part of your post though.

Last edited:

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Well you must have fingers the size of oranges. I had an iPhone for a year and I miss nothing about the touch screen. As for scrolling, I see no difference scrolling through the contacts on the Droid - it's smooth and quick as ever. I move around faster and switch apps faster on the Droid than I did on my iPhone. Are you running a different homescreen, or the stock one? Also how are movies better in the iPhone? The screen on the Droid is a whole lot sharper and it shows with the movies. I directly compared it to my friend's 3gs and even he agreed the Droid was superior in terms of quality. As for music, except for the bass booster/equalizer, I see nothing better about the iPhone's music player.

I agree with the second part of your post though.

Movies I guess should be clarified in terms of convenience and the quality of the player. Act 1 is a really nice video player that's got a great featureset but it's also ugly as sin. It isn't as smooth nor is it a lot of fun to scrub through the movie. The other factor in this is getting movies onto the Droid. For my iPhone I can take any movie with digital copy and it goes straight in, or I can get my shows off of iTunes for convenience. With the Droid everything revolves around DVD rips and you don't really have any software that will organize it for you, at least very well. You are right though, the movies are sharper on the Droid's screen.

I regularly alternate between ROM's on my Droid too, I was using Slidescreen for a while and I REALLY like it. I might eventually be on it fulltime once they get their modular version out.

I also think Mixzing is a better music player than what iPhone has.

On the scrolling though, it's inarguable for me. I guess it might be productive to do a video compare. On the Droid it's mainly dependent on what you're doing. For example if you're going through contacts or news items in FeedR it's just as smooth. However when going through your app drawer it's choppy. Some of the games are also choppy too while scrolling around.