So, is the stereo music quality good, or not?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
MK’s hands on says the speakers are no better than the S8 and S8+. Did he mess up and compare to another S8, bad ears, or correct? I’m thinking he’s wrong, but you never know until hearing.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
MK’s hands on says the speakers are no better than the S8 and S8+. Did he mess up and compare to another S8, bad ears, or correct? I’m thinking he’s wrong, but you never know until hearing.
He only had an impressions video.

It may change when he uses it more.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
What interests me is the sound of the audio through a quality pair of in-ear buds. It might be asking too much of Samsung to replicate the audio from the V30, or HTC's BoomSound. I have seen a video on YouTube showing proof that the quad DAC in the V30 is triggered by headphones with an impedance of 50+ ohms.

Search out a video called LG V30- Proved Hi-Fi DAC Works. The guy actually demos what the audio sounds like with the DAC toggled on and off, using a quality headset, then testing the sound again with a standard headset. There is a definite difference in quality. My current buds are 32 ohms, which didn't trigger the DAC when I tested the V30 in store. However, when I tested an HTC phone with the same buds, the sound was awesome.

I currently have a Dolby Atmos workaround (no root) running on my Nexus 6P. It's not a setting, per se, but I'm able to get that surround sound effect. But by no means am I able to hear every detail and nuance of my music library, the way I do on a BoomSound device.

The best way I can describe the sound, is that songs sound deconstructed, and then reconstructed, where you can hear everything from the bass, to each individual instrument, all with no distortion, even at max volume. I love it. I'm guessing the quad DAC on the V30 is similar, if not better.

The reason I've decided to go with Samsung instead of the V30 or an HTC is because other than Apple, Samsung is the only Android phone that gets support out the wazoo. There are companies that I've never even heard of that make cases for Samsung phones. Not to mention the fact that should you have an issue with your phone, you can basically take it to any local shop and have it repaired without too much hassle.

Let's face it, Apple and Samsung own the smartphone space But yeah, since I have music of varying genres, I can't deny being tempted by the V30 or whatever HTC has cooking. I'll wait to see what GSM Arena says about the audio in its review, plus Juan Bagnell's Real Audio Review from Pocketnow.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What interests me is the sound of the audio through a quality pair of in-ear buds. It might be asking too much of Samsung to replicate the audio from the V30, or HTC's BoomSound. I have seen a video on YouTube showing proof that the quad DAC in the V30 is triggered by headphones with an impedance of 50+ ohms. Search out a video called LG V30- Proved Hi-Fi DAC Works. The guy actually demos what the audio sounds like with the DAC toggled on and off, using a quality headset, then testing the sound again with a standard headset. There is a definite difference in quality. My current buds are 32 ohms, which didn't trigger the DAC when I tested the V30 in store. However, when I tested an HTC phone with the same buds, the sound was awesome. I currently have a Dolby Atmos workaround (no root) running on my Nexus 6P. It's not a setting, per se, but I'm able to get that surround sound effect. But by no means am I able to hear every detail and nuance of my music library, the way I do on a BoomSound device.

The best way I can describe the sound, is that songs sound deconstructed, and then reconstructed, where you can hear everything from the bass, to each individual instrument, all with no distortion, even at max volume. I love it. I'm guessing the quad DAC on the V30 is similar, if not better.

The reason I've decided to go with Samsung instead of the V30 or an HTC is because other than Apple, Samsung is the only Android phone that gets support out the wazoo. There are companies that I've never even heard of that make cases for Samsung phones. Not to mention the fact that should you have an issue with your phone, you can basically take it to any local shop and have it repaired without too much hassle. Let's face it, Apple and Samsung own the smartphone space But yeah, since I have music of varying genres, I can't deny being tempted by the V30 or whatever HTC has cooking. I'll wait to see what GSM Arena says about the audio in its review, plus Juan Bagnell's Real Audio Review from Pocketnow.
Samsung's software is pretty impressive in the Adapt Sound option though. When I broke my previous set of earphones, I had a a cheap $10 set lying around. Using Adapt Sound it made those sound like a $30 set IMO.

Although of course it's not a replacement fkr getting an actual good set and good DAC.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, for sure. I'll definitely be testing the S9+ in store when it's released. That's the only way to know for sure. I do recall GSM Arena praising the headphone audio on the Note 8, though, so that's a good sign. Although, I believe it was the Exynos variant. I do plan on getting the Exynos S9+ to use on T-Mobile band 4, only because it's Samsung's processor, designed and optimized to work on their own phone.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Samsung's software is pretty impressive in the Adapt Sound option though. When I broke my previous set of earphones, I had a a cheap $10 set lying around. Using Adapt Sound it made those sound like a $30 set IMO.

Although of course it's not a replacement fkr getting an actual good set and good DAC.

This.
I can't tell people enough how much a difference Adapt Sound makes to the sound quality. Not just for fine tuning the sound to your headphones but also to your ears which varies massively from person to person and also your hearing changes with age etc

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I find the sound quality great with the 8+ through 3.5 or Bluetooth- speaker is not good. I listen for things like instrument separation, sound stage, cymbal decay, etc. If as good as the 8+ 835 version for 3.5 and Bluetooth, I'm fine in that regard.

My current thought is the speaker quality, since expect 3.5 and Bluetooth to be fine. The big sway though would have been an RGB pixel array instead of the diamond pentile. Screen door with Gear VR with pentile. Apparently the panel is the same.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
What interests me is the sound of the audio through a quality pair of in-ear buds. It might be asking too much of Samsung to replicate the audio from the V30, or HTC's BoomSound. I have seen a video on YouTube showing proof that the quad DAC in the V30 is triggered by headphones with an impedance of 50+ ohms.

Search out a video called LG V30- Proved Hi-Fi DAC Works. The guy actually demos what the audio sounds like with the DAC toggled on and off, using a quality headset, then testing the sound again with a standard headset. There is a definite difference in quality. My current buds are 32 ohms, which didn't trigger the DAC when I tested the V30 in store. However, when I tested an HTC phone with the same buds, the sound was awesome.

I currently have a Dolby Atmos workaround (no root) running on my Nexus 6P. It's not a setting, per se, but I'm able to get that surround sound effect. But by no means am I able to hear every detail and nuance of my music library, the way I do on a BoomSound device.

The reason I've decided to go with Samsung instead of the V30 or an HTC is because other than Apple, Samsung is the only Android phone that gets support out the wazoo. There are companies that I've never even heard of that make cases for Samsung phones. Not to mention the fact that should you have an issue with your phone, you can basically take it to any local shop and have it repaired without too much hassle.

Let's face it, Apple and Samsung own the smartphone space But yeah, since I have music of varying genres, I can't deny being tempted by the V30 or whatever HTC has cooking. I'll wait to see what GSM Arena says about the audio in its review, plus Juan Bagnell's Real Audio Review from Pocketnow.
The last HTC flagship phone didn't have a 3.5mm jack, I know you can use an adapter but that bugs me...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have heard the 9+ speakers and am a picky person. The speakers sound very good and far better then the 8+. MK's ears must have been stopped up from the flight. Even subjectively seems no way to equate to 8+. Preview fail!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have heard the 9+ speakers and am a picky person. The speakers sound very good and far better then the 8+. MK's ears must have been stopped up from the flight. Even subjectively seems no way to equate to 8+. Preview fail!

He simply shared his opinion. Everyone will have varying opinions on the subject ;).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Then perhaps point out if hearing challenged if so ;). Seriously, listen to them. There is no comparison other than they both make sounds ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Then perhaps point out if hearing challenged if so ;). Seriously, listen to them. There is no comparison other than they both make sounds ;)

LOL so if he doesn't hear what you hear he is now hearing challenged?

Sorry didn't know you were the benchmark XD.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Ok well, since you seem to have experience with the S9, how is audio quality through the headphone jack? Does it compare to the sound from the quad DAC on the V30 when it's enabled, or HTC with BoomSound? Share with us the opinion of your *perfect* hearing, please?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok well, since you seem to have experience with the S9, how is audio quality through the headphone jack? Does it compare to the sound from the quad DAC on the V30 when it's enabled, or HTC with BoomSound? Share with us the opinion of your *perfect* hearing, please?

Only listened to speakers.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
LOL so if he doesn't hear what you hear he is now hearing challenged?

Sorry didn't know you were the benchmark XD.

Considering the S8+ has a mono speaker and mainly mid range sound, where as I can actually hear the cymbals and fret changes on the 9+ that can not at all on the 8+, I would suggest very certainly that the sound is a lot better than the 8+. To the point that unless only listening to podcasts, you will notice for obvious sound stage reasons.

Sounds better than my former Moto X Pure, which was good too. Well, speakers were good, but the Pure was a hot running mess.

Still not sure getting one.... The lack of 128GB option in the US has me ticked. Why not at least offer the 128GB in the US as an option?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Considering the S8+ has a mono speaker and mainly mid range sound, where as I can actually hear the cymbals and fret changes on the 9+ that can not at all on the 8+, I would suggest very certainly that the sound is a lot better than the 8+. To the point that unless only listening to podcasts, you will notice for obvious sound stage reasons.

Sounds better than my former Moto X Pure, which was good too. Well, speakers were good, but the Pure was a hot running mess.

Still not sure getting one.... The lack of 128GB option in the US has me ticked. Why not at least offer the 128GB in the US as an option?

And that is fine but just because you can hear it doesn't mean someone who thinks they aren't that good are hearing impaired. There is a definitely a difference in being a normal person and an audiophile .. It doesn't mean you are hearing impaired.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And that is fine but just because you can hear it doesn't mean someone who thinks they aren't that good are hearing impaired. There is a definitely a difference in being a normal person and an audiophile .. It doesn't mean you are hearing impaired.
The point is the speakers are not equal in any stretch. I spent years in the Marines with very loud weapons and no ear protection most of the time (hearing not 100%). I'm not an audiophile either- I listen to MP3s. 192kb at that.

BTW, rockets/missles don't go "woosh!" like in the movies. They go boom when fired and kaboom when detonating.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax