So will rooting actually make my phone any faster?

Grumple

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering rooting my Bionic soon and using TB to freeze all the Bloatware. Will freezing this stuff actually do anything for the phone? From what I understand some of these apps may be running in the background and slowing the phone down right now but I am not sure if it would really make a significant difference.
If the only thing rooting will do is make the apps disappear then it's not worth it to me, Go Launcher does a good enough job of hiding them, but I would love my phone to be a little bit faster than it is now.

ddemlong

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering rooting my Bionic soon and using TB to freeze all the Bloatware. Will freezing this stuff actually do anything for the phone? From what I understand some of these apps may be running in the background and slowing the phone down right now but I am not sure if it would really make a significant difference.
If the only thing rooting will do is make the apps disappear then it's not worth it to me, Go Launcher does a good enough job of hiding them, but I would love my phone to be a little bit faster than it is now.

No, rooting simply gives you super user access... You need a custom ROM/ Kernel to get higher speeds. If on a samsung device using a RFS files system Voodoo to convert the file system to a ext4 system

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
No, rooting simply gives you super user access... You need a custom ROM/ Kernel to get higher speeds. If on a samsung device using a RFS files system Voodoo to convert the file system to a ext4 system

Obviously overclocking your phone by using a custom rom or new kernel will get you faster speeds, but that is not what the original poster is asking. Pretend you have 20 different applications running on your computer and then you open the application that you actually want to use. It would sure run a whole heck of a lot faster if you close to those 20 other applications.

Really, the performance increase would be relative to the number of applications eating up cpu power and memory. The less you have running, the faster everything else would seem. The cpu and memory are only capable of running at 100 percent of what they are capable of. Anytime you can stop something from using a percentage of the resources, you will see a slight increase in speed, most likely. I'm not saying yes go ahead and root your phone for this purpose, I'm just saying is that it cannot hurt for this purpose as long as you read the guide on what is and is not safe to disable or rename.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

it depends what you freeze many apps that are running actually are open because your phone is sharing resources and closing them down could possibly slow your phone down... as far as bloatware it is good for freeing up storage space and for the ones that open on their own such as city ID ...etc freezing it would help from pesky annoyances. but as far as real speed freezing bloatware will just give you a placebo effect.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
typically the op's question would be answered yes. On this phone though for me there is enough resources and power on this phone that it will run super smooth with the bloat. Because the phone is just that good it doesn't make any difference when removing the bloat. Only benefit I could imagine is if some of those bloat apps are using some spare CPU cycle that I don't notice causing a small extra percentage in battery drain.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
You will see. It will make a difference. Things can always run faster and removing bloat will make a difference. There is no way it wont. Can't wait to get into this thing for my wife. Custom roms can make things even better.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think more than speed (it's already really fast), you'll notice better battery life. When you freeze apps (using Titanium Backup) like Social Location, you stop background processes that would otherwise be draining your battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi