{solved and question} ES File Explorer disappeared my Download folder and files

jimdays

Mar 23, 2022
Visit site
I have Android 11 GO version on Shok phone. I installed ES File Explorer 4.1.9.4 and added some new folders and put files in the folders, all inside the Download folder. I believe the Download folder was already on the Android. I decided I wanted a shortcut of the Download folder on the phone homescreen. So with ES File Explorer, I highlighted the Download folder and clicked "More" and selected "Add to De..." which I think means add shortcut to homescreen. However, now looking at that "More" menu, I see I could have selected "Hide" by mistake. That could be why the Download folder disappeared. Well, the Download folder (and all of my files inside the Download folder) disappeared. Or, the Download folder could have disappeared when I clicked "Add to de..", I don't know, but the folder was gone and not in the recycle bin or any other place on the phone. However, when I clicked "space analyze" I could see the missing folder and files, but with limited
options to deal with the files (just "delete" and "move"). Also, if I wanted to attach any of those missing files to email, they could not be found, so they couldn't be attached using ES Files Explorer. (There is another stock file explorer on the phone called "Files by Google", but I found it difficult to use (example- I couldn't figure how to add new folders and files.) But Files by Google did show the Download folder and associate files. So only ES File Explorer was giving me the missing folder problem.
To try to get the Download folder to reappear, I uninstalled and reinstalled ES file Explorer, but the folder (and files inside the folder) was still missing. Then I connected the phone to a computer. The Download folder was plainly visible on the computer. So I copied the Download folder to the computer, then deleted (using the computer) the Download folder from the phone. I uninstalled and reinstalled ES File Explorer. Using ES File Explorer "Space Analyze" showed the Download folder to be truly gone. Then I uninstalled ES File Explorer again and using the computer, transferred the Download folder back to the phone. I reinstalled ES File Explorer, and now the Download folder (and files) was visible and viable. Also, I could attach any of the Download files in an email. So the problem seems to be solved.
My question is:1) was the above sequence of steps the only way to get the Download folder to reappear?
2) Assuming I initially clicked "Add to de..."), why would this cause the Download folder to disappear? Note: there was no warning message from ES File Explorer to warn me that the files would disappear if I did above action.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's hard to say, because it could be due to ES File Explorer itself, or to Android Go (which is more limited than full Android), or to a combination of the two. In addition, if you modified the display at all (e.g., increased the magnification or adjusted the DPI), that might also impact how options are displayed in the context menu, thus abbreviating that "Add to de..." option -- I can't figure out what that might mean.

On top of that, I would recommend against ES File Explorer in general, because it was removed from the Play Store in 2019 for click fraud, and its parent DO Global is known for shady practices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ES_File_Explorer#Controversy_and_removal_from_Play_Store. Are you talking about ES File Manager instead? I also wouldn't trust that one, since reviews describe lots of intrusive ads (I'm not sure if it's related to the previous ES File Explorer).

I suggest trying Total Commander, which is free, ad-free, and from a very trustworthy dev. It has an option to create an app shortcut icon/widget for any folder.