[SOLVED] * Turn by turn instructions can only be heard if an audio or music app is playing music using on my car's screen.

emadeva

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Greetings everyone.

It seems the only way to hear turn by turn instructions from Google Maps when using Android Auto is to have either the radio playing or an audio app playing music or some other audio content. If the radio or an audio app are not playing music, the turn by turn instructions are silent.

This is not good for me because there are times when I have people in the car who don't want to hear the radio or a music app playing at the same time I'm using Google Maps with Android Auto.

How do I tell Google Maps or Android Auto not to mute the turn by turn instructions so I can hear them without Android Auto forcing me to play the radio or have an audio app playing music?

Thanks in advance.

Truly,
Emad

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using Android Auto on the car's screen, or are you using Google Maps on your phone in driving mode?

Reactions: emadeva

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure about this, since I don't use Android Auto on my daily driver, but go to the Google Maps settings, then Navigation, then turn off the toggle for "Play voice over Bluetooth." This should play the turn-by-turn instructions over the phone speaker.

Reactions: mustang7757

emadeva

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure about this, since I don't use Android Auto on my daily driver, but go to the Google Maps settings, then Navigation, then turn off the toggle for "Play voice over Bluetooth." This should play the turn-by-turn instructions over the phone speaker.
I will try that tonight to see if the sound will go on the phone but it sounds so much better when coming through the car's speakers though. Could this be a bug with Android Auto related to Google Maps?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to test this on my wife's car, which does have Android Auto. I'm pretty sure in the past, we've gotten voice instructions through the car speakers without playing any media. What's the make/model/year of your car, and is it the factory-installed head unit or an aftermarket?

emadeva

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
That was it! Thanks so much. I never thought of trying that. That shows that there's a bug in the Google Maps app. The "voice over Bluetooth" doesn't work properly. Turning it off fixed the problem. I was expecting the tinny sounding voice to come out of the phone but instead it actually came out of the car's speakers! It seems that turning that setting "on" mutes the voice unless the radio or an audio app is playing. Google needs to work on that one. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That was it! Thanks so much. I never thought of trying that. That shows that there's a bug in the Google Maps app. The "voice over Bluetooth" doesn't work properly. Turning it off fixed the problem. I was expecting the tinny sounding voice to come out of the phone but instead it actually came out of the car's speakers! It seems that turning that setting "on" mutes the voice unless the radio or an audio app is playing. Google needs to work on that one. :ROFLMAO:
Interesting! Send feedback to Google from within the Google Maps app settings.