Some Android Newbie questions

robindover

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am new to the android world, and the Xoom is my first android product. So far there seem to be a few missing apps for this thing to be useful to me.

The ipad currently does most of them.

I am typically not an early adopter, and this may be just early adopter pain.

So, any speculation on the following:

1. I can't connect to the corporate exchange server. Our IT department is not helpful. Ipads do connect.

2. There is not a Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client for the Xoom. There is for iPad.

3. No working xvid/divx player (at least that I can find).

4. No netflix (don't care too much, but still).

These are all features I'd like to have, and for the price of this thing, I would hope it could do the major functions that an iPad can. I do like the OS so far, but the lack of app support is killing me. Maybe it is just too soon for this platform for my uses.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Eary adaptor pains. Might want to use that ipad for a little longer. Things will come in time as they did with the ipad. Remember when that launched apps didn't always play nice till it was worked on. Everyday apps for android tabs are being changed for the better.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been feeling the early adopter pain for a viable android vpn since I first got my droid. We have passed the point of early adopter for this issue'

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

robindover

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree they will come in time. But these are the main uses I have for the device. So, I think I will be returning my Xoom. I don;t really need to have all this money tied up in a device that can't do 3 of the 4 fundamental tasks I want it for.

I have been waiting for something better than the iPad to come along, and I was hoping this would be it, but I guess I just keep waiting until either the iPad2 or until development for the Xoom catches up with my needs.

I will probably also have an unopened Xoom with a blue gell case available for sale for $700 later this week if anyone wants it.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think these are things that work on android in general. It that is what you are looking for then look elsewhere.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
1. I can't connect to the corporate exchange server. Our IT department is not helpful. Ipads do connect.
Without knowing the specifics of your corporate exchange server settings, I can state than the Xoom conencts to exchange servers just fine. My personal corporate server has heavy restrictions yet mine connects fine.

2. There is not a Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client for the Xoom. There is for iPad.
I don't know anything specific about Cisco AnyConnect, but this thread seems to hint at a version coming.
3. No working xvid/divx player (at least that I can find).
There are tons of apps on the market that play these...none particularly optimized for tablet, but will play these.
4. No netflix (don't care too much, but still).
In a week or two when we have flash, there will be ways to access netflix (playon, plex) without a native netflix app (which may yet come anyways).

robindover

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am downloading qqplayer as I type this, I'll load some media and try it out. All other players I have tried have been unsuccessful, and it really made me miss the tight control apple has on the itunes store. It is a lot easier to find stuff that just works.

I will start a new thread for the exchange server.

Netflix, not a big deal, so I'll just wait.

I'll read the anyconnect thread above, and see what is there, but all my searching so far leads me to believe that this is not something anyone is counting on in the near future.

I wanted to get away from the apple product, but this device is not yet there. I don't have patience, as I actually have use for one of these things now, and the iPad will do what I NEED. I just don't want the iPad.

I certainly don't need an $800 web browser, which is all it is to me today.

We'll see if anyone has any other suggestions to follow.

robindover

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, the rushed to market criticisms I have read are resonating with me further. I tried to navigate my network fileserver via the web interface, and the browser does not properly handle the web site. I can't even navigate the web based file manager on my NAS to DL some content to try the media player with.

robindover

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I am pleased to announce I am playing video files streaming off my media server using skifta and rock player. I got the exchange server issue worked out and have all my mail. Now I am only a anyconnectVNC client away from full happiness. I think I may consider stickig out the early adopter goroing pains.

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site