Some thumbnail photos not displayed correctly

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This one is perplexing me. I transferred some photos from my Pentax K3 II DSLR to my laptop, and then copied them to both my LG V60 and my wife's Samsung Note 9 phones. On my phone, everything shows up correctly in the thumbnails. On my wife's phone, the thumbnails in the stock gallery show up almost like a film negative, with colors drastically shifted. When you tap on one to view full size, it displays the colors correctly. When viewing in the Google Photos app, the thumbnails are displaying the correct colors as well.

The kicker is this only happens with my K3 II DSLR photos, so I don't think it's an issue with her gallery app, but I can't figure this one out. I have asked on the Pentax Forums, and they haven't figured it out yet either, and one other member mentioned this same issue as well. Photos from other DSLR's, downloaded photos, photos she takes with her phone, etc. all have the proper thumbnails. When I sent one of the unedited K3 II photos from my phone to her via Bluetooth, it also showed up as a negative. If I edit one and save as a new file, or transfer it through a service like Facebook Messenger or Drop Box (which compresses and doesn't send the exact original file), the thumbnails are correct. You can see in this screenshot of her gallery the difference. The photo on the left is an original straight from the camera. The one on the right was one I edited and saved as a new file.

IMG_20201006_215356.jpeg

Any idea what's going on?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

If it were just the RAW files I'd assume it was something related to the RAW format used by Pentax and Samsung not getting along, but with it being JPEG as well I've got no idea what it is off the top of my head.

I assume you've tried basic troubleshooting like clearing the cache on the gallery?

I'm at work right now but I'll try to look into this more over the weekend.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If it were just the RAW files I'd assume it was something related to the RAW format used by Pentax and Samsung not getting along, but with it being JPEG as well I've got no idea what it is off the top of my head.

I assume you've tried basic troubleshooting like clearing the cache on the gallery?

I'm at work right now but I'll try to look into this more over the weekend.

It's saved as a regular DNG format for RAW files, which is a universal format that phones can read too.

If you know of any hosting sites I can upload jpegs for sharing without being adulterated, I'll put one up to test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174