Something keeps hitting my GPS

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi!
I've had this issue for a while on both my Note 8 as well as the S8 plus I had. I keep getting vibration "alerts" but nothing shows up as far as a notification. Does it for a good while.

I finally was able to see that when it happens, my GPS indicator pops up extremely briefly. I thought it had something to do with Facebook so I disabled Facebook. It still does it.

anyone have any suggestions? It's really starting to drive me crazy. I may end up resorting to factory resetting my phone and installing everything piece by piece. But I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

would appreciate any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It could be any misbehaving app, even one that doesn't normally use GPS. Turn off Location permission on all your apps that have it turned on and see what happens. If it stops, turn them on one by one, wait a few hours (or however long you know it would take to get one or two "hits", enable the next one, etc. When you start getting hits, you'll know which app you just gave Location permission to.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I noticed something else. It tends to happen mostly when I'm in a building, such as a metal building, where the signal can't get out. It's like something is trying to hit the GPS, it can't, so it buzzes...but no actual notification saying what's acting up.

I guess I'll have to try and turn off all Location Services. If I can't get to the bottom of this before the weekend, I guess I'll be spending my time reinstalling everything. Probably wouldn't hurt since i was having this issue on my S8+ and when I moved to a Note 8, I did the Smart Switch. Maybe whatever problem I had just came with it.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, try this. It's going to require a bit of work on your part but WAY easier than reinstalling everything.

Download and install QuickShortcutMaker from Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

I've been using this app for 6 years or more on every phone I get, for setting up shortcuts to whatever I want on my home screen.

The video I just took, shows exactly how to set up a shortcut for he notification log. This is the only way I know of getting access to this feature. Here is the video: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F290597609&token=4Gzmo6Te

Hope this helps to get the details of what is causing the GPS notifications. Once you have the shortcut created, tap on the GPS notification in question and there will be details of what and why the notification happened. It should give the app name causing it.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
OK, try this. It's going to require a bit of work on your part but WAY easier than reinstalling everything.

Download and install QuickShortcutMaker from Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

I've been using this app for 6 years or more on every phone I get, for setting up shortcuts to whatever I want on my home screen.

The video I just took, shows exactly how to set up a shortcut for he notification log. This is the only way I know of getting access to this feature. Here is the video: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F290597609&token=W0X8G4JD

Hope this helps to get the details of what is causing the GPS notifications. Once you have the shortcut created, tap on the GPS notification in question and there will be details of what and why the notification happened. It should give the app name causing it.
Thanks! I'll give that a try! Really appreciate it!

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Follow UP:
This worked like a charm, at least to let me figure out what's causing those dang buzzing notifications. It was SmartDeviceLink associated with the Exxon SpeedPass + app. Really strange. I did some reading on that and it says it's a library that allows some apps to push content to cars. I don't have any of that and couldn't see how to turn that off, so I just uninstalled the app until I can figure that out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
longfreeware