Sometimes I boot into recovery, most times I can't

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sorry for all the different posts/threads but I keep thinking everything is fixed and then something poops out on me.

If I install Superuser using Terminal (I'm on Mac) and boot into recovery it's no problem. I'm able to boot up right away. Other than that I have only been able to boot up once w/out the computer.

I've read at least 22 different posts/threads and I can't find the answer. (yeah it's the Android on his back w/the red exclamation mark error, only mine works sometimes and I've done all the other things people recommend)

I'm rooted...I'm so confused...help! I have flashed Superuser and installed it and all the jazz...so lost.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can you clarify.. What exactly are you trying to do? Boot into recovery? Have you installed CWR or another custom recovery? Just not clear what the issue is for me...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you clarify.. What exactly are you trying to do? Boot into recovery? Have you installed CWR or another custom recovery? Just not clear what the issue is for me...

Yeah it's very unclear! I'm super confused.

I am trying to be able to boot into recovery 100% of the time. Right now I am mostly only able to boot into recovery using Terminal. This method: How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Rooted Galaxy Nexus! | GalaxyNexusRoot.com

I want to make sure I'm able to go into recovery incase something happens and I need to restore a backup.

CWR is installed.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's very unclear! I'm super confused.

I am trying to be able to boot into recovery 100% of the time. Right now I am mostly only able to boot into recovery using Terminal. This method: How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Rooted Galaxy Nexus! | GalaxyNexusRoot.com

I want to make sure I'm able to go into recovery incase something happens and I need to restore a backup.

CWR is installed.

So you want to make it so every time your phone boots it goes into recovery first?

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
So you want to make it so every time your phone boots it goes into recovery first?

No, sorry. I'm a noob and trying to explain something that is really confusing.

I'm only able to boot into recovery when my phone is connected to the computer and I run scripts in terminal. If I try it from bootloader or CWR it doesn't boot in recovery.

Does that make any sense?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No, sorry. I'm a noob and trying to explain something that is really confusing.

I'm only able to boot into recovery when my phone is connected to the computer and I run scripts in terminal. If I try it from bootloader or CWR it doesn't boot in recovery.

Does that make any sense?

Oh I see.. That's weird, especially if it's not working even from the bootloader.. Honestly no clue.. I would probably try reflashing recovery or even the bootloader (it comes in the radio packages you can find in zero necks radios thread.. Just flash the whole thing). Besides that not sure what else to try.. Sorry mang

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh I see.. That's weird, especially if it's not working even from the bootloader.. Honestly no clue.. I would probably try reflashing recovery or even the bootloader (it comes in the radio packages you can find in zero necks radios thread.. Just flash the whole thing). Besides that not sure what else to try.. Sorry mang

I reflashed both...should I unroot and start over??

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I reflashed both...should I unroot and start over??

Eh.. Only other thing I would try is a factory image restore and starting from scratch. I've got a link with solid easy instructions I'll edit this with it in a sec..

EDIT: link http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/16/how-to-unroot-the-galaxy-nexus-re-lock-the-bootloader-and-return-to-a-factory-state/

Note that doing this fully, and relocking then unlocking the bootloader will wipe everything, sd included. So you'll want to copy everything you need off the sd to your computer before doing it, then you can move it back. After all that your phone will be fresh like out of the box so it ought to clear up any of those weird issues. However.. Its possible there's another way to fix that problem of course. I'd ask around forums and do a little research first, might save yourself some time and work, who knows?

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! I'll try this in the morning! :)

I've done a lot of research...at this point I'm thinking it would be easier to start over! A lot of people have the "unable to boot in recovery," problem but most of them have solved their problems by flashing different files I've already flashed. Cheers to new beginnings! lol

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! I'll try this in the morning! :)

I've done a lot of research...at this point I'm thinking it would be easier to start over! A lot of people have the "unable to boot in recovery," problem but most of them have solved their problems by flashing different files I've already flashed. Cheers to new beginnings! lol

Are you trying to stay stock rooted? Bc if you flash a custom rom some of these problems might go away. Recovery problems that is.

Another option is to try a different custom recovery, its kind of a long shot but it might help.

Aside from that, starting over might be the way to go.

As I understand it, you're booting recovery in fast boot, not flashing it? And then you're flashing recovery in rom manager app, and its not working?

If that's the case, maybe we can just flash recovery in fast boot and solve it
Let me know. I've been crazy busy but I'll find time tomorrow to be around a little more after 3 or 4 pm.

Sorry for all the trouble you've had.

Reactions: Keekers11

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to stay stock rooted? Bc if you flash a custom rom some of these problems might go away. Recovery problems that is.

Another option is to try a different custom recovery, its kind of a long shot but it might help.

Aside from that, starting over might be the way to go.

As I understand it, you're booting recovery in fast boot, not flashing it? And then you're flashing recovery in rom manager app, and its not working?

If that's the case, maybe we can just flash recovery in fast boot and solve it
Let me know. I've been crazy busy but I'll find time tomorrow to be around a little more after 3 or 4 pm.

Sorry for all the trouble you've had.

I've been reading so many other Android Forums and they are really mean! I would never ask a question anywhere but this site! Thank you for being so helpful and nice. :)

Sorry, what is stock rooted? I want to try another rom if that answers your question. I've been looking for custom roms to flash but since I'm so new I'm not sure which one is best for me. I've even tried looking for Roms for noobs. :)

I need to learn a lot! I've been looking for tutorials that explain what the features do on different roms...maybe I shouldn't even be trying this but I'm really wanting to learn what I can do.

Yup, I can only boot into recovery using fast boot and when flashing recovery from rom manager it doesn't work (android on his back w/red!)

Gosh I hope this makes sense...sorry, I'm really really new at this.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i see elsewhere you got this sorted out. sorry i didnt see this sooner - started a summer job and it's taking alot more time than i thought it would. anyway =- seems like you're off to a good start and there are lots of very helpful members here so just ask away and i'm sure you'll have everything figured out in no time.

also, the stickied guides are a great place to start for learning the ropes.

gl :)

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
i see elsewhere you got this sorted out. sorry i didnt see this sooner - started a summer job and it's taking alot more time than i thought it would. anyway =- seems like you're off to a good start and there are lots of very helpful members here so just ask away and i'm sure you'll have everything figured out in no time.

also, the stickied guides are a great place to start for learning the ropes.

gl :)

No problem! Thanks for responding :)
I love this forum! It's great!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsun_Galacticus