Somewhat of a noob question about the SD Card

dasaucemasta

May 10, 2011
Visit site
So Ive been using my Thunderbolt more and more in replacement of my old iPod but recently my phone has started having some performance issues. During startup it takes even longer for my phone to boot up and read the sd card.

Once my phone is on and everything is loaded it takes 4 minutes until I am able to open an app on my SD card. I have been putting more and more music on my SD card recently - could this be a reason for the phone slowing down?

I also organize my music into various folders and subfolders - is it possible that all of these folders are slowing down the reading of the SD card since has to go through every folder? Should I just dump all of my music into one folder?

Any ideas? Any help would be great because such a slow startup is very annoying

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes... every time the phone reboots or you mount the card, it needs to re-index the card. I highly recommend google music beta. Use the SD card for stuff other than music, like movies. Also, you should have over 2gb for app storage, its better to store the apps on the internal memory than sdcard. They will run much faster

Reactions: dasaucemasta

dasaucemasta

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Well the only problem is that I am studying abroad in italy this semester so I don't have service unless I am on wifi which is generally why I have been adding more music. I have Google Music but its doesn't work here unless I am near wifi. If instead of having folders for every artist and subfolders for their albums, etc, would this theoretically speed up my phone? Like if I just threw all the mp3s directly into my music folder?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well the only problem is that I am studying abroad in italy this semester so I don't have service unless I am on wifi which is generally why I have been adding more music. I have Google Music but its doesn't work here unless I am near wifi. If instead of having folders for every artist and subfolders for their albums, etc, would this theoretically speed up my phone? Like if I just threw all the mp3s directly into my music folder?

... no clue... are you rooted? if so, CM7 has an awesome kernel and indexing is pretty fast for me (i also don't have any music on my phone). Another option with google music beta is that you can cache songs you know you will listen to (like a temporary download) in the near future, like a playlist and then it removes later.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd most certainly move the apps from the SD card back to main memory if you have room for them, or at least those apps that are the most valuable to you. Then you don't have to wait until the card is indexed to get at them. It will also speed those apps up and probably save you a little battery as well (I'm sure the phone consumes a little more power when reading data off the SD as opposed to main memory, though it's probably not a whole lot).

Then the only thing you have to wait the 4 minutes for is getting at your music and such. Still mildly inconvenient, but at least your apps are instantly available (or nearly so).

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You might want to pull the Micro SD card to run Checkdisk on a PC. I had issues supplied SD card from the start. Long boot-ups was the first sign. I've didn't have music on it.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So Ive been using my Thunderbolt more and more in replacement of my old iPod but recently my phone has started having some performance issues. During startup it takes even longer for my phone to boot up and read the sd card.

Once my phone is on and everything is loaded it takes 4 minutes until I am able to open an app on my SD card. I have been putting more and more music on my SD card recently - could this be a reason for the phone slowing down?

I also organize my music into various folders and subfolders - is it possible that all of these folders are slowing down the reading of the SD card since has to go through every folder? Should I just dump all of my music into one folder?

Any ideas? Any help would be great because such a slow startup is very annoying

I have the "fast boot" checked (MENU --> SETTINGS --> POWER --> Fast Boot). When you POWER OFF your phone and turn it on it takes about 20 seconds to get to your home screen.

I don't know about the Google Music thing, but what I use is DOUBLE TWIST. I like it because you make your playlists in iTUNES and then when you run Double Twist you can sync your iTUNES playlists and it will transfer all your music and make the playlists on your phone. THe playlists are available for whatever player you use.

Do you have your music in individual folders (i.e. Album, Artist, Song) in the main area of your SD card?I have all my music on my SD card and created a directory called MUSIC and then I have all the artists in that folder.

dasaucemasta

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your help guys I really appreciate it - fastboot is amazing! My Thunderbolt started up in 7 seconds thank you so much. Shaved seriously 5 minutes off my startup time. I also moved my important apps like opera and go sms back to my phone so i can start them now as soon as my phone starts up and let the music load on its own time. Cant tell you how much frustration you guys saved me haha should have asked this question a long time ago. Thanks again

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michaelcook