Sony XSP-N1BT Smartphone Cradle Receiver

zjwilliams

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting the double din dash unit as soon as it comes out. Right now I use my Nexus7 (with windshield mount) for my maps and google music, but this is a much better solution. Thanks for sharing!! Hopefully I can do a pseudo-review when I get it on these forums.

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Bought the Sony XSP-N1BT and SBH80

Well I got the headset a week ago and these things are friggin great! Super comfy earbuds and are super light I can't even feel them in the ear. Battery life seems pretty good, can run them for most of the a day if I turn them off when not in use. Takes 21/2 hrs to fully charge. Sound quality is beyond excellent sounds come in loud smooth and clear with really good sub base. Works great when riding on the motorcycle I can answer calls with these things listen to FM radio or just play some saved tunes on the sd card. FM radio needs an antenna so I just cut a crappy pair of earbuds i had laying around in half. Pair up the headset and bam FM tunes going to your BT buds. I bought the headset from mobilefun.com for 94.00 shipped got it in five days,

The walkman player on our Z1S's totally sucks the google player not only plays at a third volume higher but a lot easier to to nav through your files. It plays my stored files so loud I can't max it out unlike the walkman player all I hear are crickets. I like the shuffle button they implemented in the UI when you launch the player "Im Feeling Lucky" button is right there. EQ on the phone and all settings are default, except for voice leveling I always activate that switch on all of my phones regardless. The headset plays my stored files loud and clear with no clipping!

I also pre ordered the receiver from crutchfield they offer the install kit for free everything you need plus free shipping to california. Amazon only offers the free shipping. So folks in a few weeks I should be getting the XSP-N1BT for my 07 X Runner, will have pics during the install process can't wait to get this thing!

Regards.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Bought the Sony XSP-N1BT and SBH80

What model are those BT buds? How are they to wear? How are they for isolation? I'm looking for some nice BT stereo buds for when i'm mowing the grass.

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
What model are those BT buds? How are they to wear? How are they for isolation? I'm looking for some nice BT stereo buds for when i'm mowing the grass.

These work really well for cancelling noise. Super comfy you forget your wearing them. Seriously get them you won't regret it.
Oh the model is sbh80
DSC_0094.jpg

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Just got confirmation from Crutchfield the receiver will be here in three days.:-D

Posted via Android Central App

Looking forward to your report / review. Are you replacing a single or double DIN head? IIRC, this is a double and a cause for installation fear for me. I have a single DIN head now.

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Looking forward to your report / review. Are you replacing a single or double DIN head? IIRC, this is a double and a cause for installation fear for me. I have a single DIN head now.

I'm pulling the OEM radio/CD player out of an 07 Xrunner which is a double Din unit. So the install should be a breeze may have to modify the OEM brackets as the Metra kit uses plastic ones. If your tight for space then crutchfield has this underdash kit. Universal Underdash Double-DIN Receiver Kit Mount a double-DIN receiver under your dash at Crutchfield.com

Our take on the Universal Underdash Double-DIN Receiver Kit
by Ken Nail
This universal mounting kit allows you to install a double-DIN chassis receiver underneath or on top of your dash. You may have to modify your car and, in some cases, the kit itself. If you're purchasing a receiver costing over $119 and we have no installation kit for your vehicle, you can add this kit to your order, and we'll send it to you free.

Remember, most vehicles will accommodate a receiver in the dash. Not sure about yours? Please enter your vehicle information or call an Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to find out if your vehicle can. Warranty: 1 year.

I would call them and ask if your car will take a dD unit in the dash or just do it online. Good Luck!

Just got back from my local BB and the audio guy kicked me down some wire crimps for free. So I'm all ready for the install. I'm surprised they got them in so quick they beat amazon to the punch but then again why would you buy from them when CF gives you all the install goodies for free along with free shipping.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Smurf.....yeah, I've used Cruthchfield in the past for all my auto audio needs and they do a great job. I want to install the unit in an '08 PT Cruiser. What's funny is when you look at the unit from the outside, it looks like a double DIN, but, it's not. I'm sure I could make it fit.....just need my Dremmel and cutting tools. I'm getting to the point in my life though where I'd probably pay somebody to do it.

I want to install new speakers and a power amp too. So, it's a bigger job.

I also have Jump and I plan on using it to switch phones and experiment, so, I'm not sure how "committed" I want to be be to the Z1s accessory infrastructure. So, I've been thinking more along the lines of a full feature bluetooth head. That Sony unit though is very cool.

Ah well, decisions, decisions.....it's a tough life! :D

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Smurf.....yeah, I've used Cruthchfield in the past for all my auto audio needs and they do a great job. I want to install the unit in an '08 PT Cruiser. What's funny is when you look at the unit from the outside, it looks like a double DIN, but, it's not. I'm sure I could make it fit.....just need my Dremmel and cutting tools. I'm getting to the point in my life though where I'd probably pay somebody to do it.

I want to install new speakers and a power amp too. So, it's a bigger job.

I also have Jump and I plan on using it to switch phones and experiment, so, I'm not sure how "committed" I want to be be to the Z1s accessory infrastructure. So, I've been thinking more along the lines of a full feature bluetooth head. That Sony unit though is very cool.

Ah well, decisions, decisions.....it's a tough life! :D

Yea I was looking at the Pioneers but the only thing that had me worried was theft. Then the limitations of the UI itself were not very appealing. Jail breaking a phone to mirror the unit with HDMI cables and such just seemed to painful to even deal with. The one thing the Sony has going for it is it's ugly enough to hopefully detract thieves. And without the phone the unit looks pretty typical and bland hopefully this unit will not be popular with thieves. Got delivery confirmation for Wednesday so next week this puppy goes in the XRunner.
I did some digging and crutchfield says the d-D units won't work in the PT's. But I'm sure a savey installer can get the unit in.

Factory system
2006-2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser car audio profile
The original PT's center dash area was a busy place. After the interior redesign, it was still pretty busy, but it was also easier to deal with during a stereo installation. While a 4" double-DIN stereo will not fit (same goes for any receiver with a fold-down face), you can still choose from a wide variety of powerful 2" CD receivers or, if you're travelling disc-free these days, digital media receivers.

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My unit showed up a couple of weeks ago but was defective, the clamping mechanism failed and guess what my phone screen shattered when I was pulling it out of the cradle. I don't know what sony is doing about it. I sent the phone back last week and they just sent me a notification that it was being sent back to me. So I don't know if they fixed it or just sending back a broken phone. They did however email me a shipping label and sent the phone back using next day ups. Ups failed the delivery yesterday as I waited all day for it. Today they say it will be here by 10:30am yea right aint waiting around today for ups to screw it up again, got stuff to do like look for a repair center for my phone. I'm almost positive they didn't fix it I was never sent an email for the cost etc..

Anyway after testing the 2nd head unit the clamp seems to be holding. The unit sync'd right up with my wp but as usual no app for it so essentially it's kind of useless without the remote app. And I'm sure sony will never write one for wp anyway. Bluetooth sounds really good from the xperia and wp. Outstanding FM tuner the unit works really well with the Z1s and the phone charges while in the cradle. Nav, music, text reading all work well. But in all honesty if you already have a BT head unit I wouldn't spend the extra money for this receiver unless you really want it. For me replacing the stock unit in my x runner was a good upgrade since I'm already saturated in sony's eco system.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Smurf,

Thanks for the update......bummer about your phone. I hope Sony does right by you and fixes your phone.

Well, I don't have bluetooth in my PT Cruiser, in fact it is a stock stereo setup. So, for a geeky dad like me, this is just a sad state of affairs. Especially since I just bought my wife a new Jeep Cherokee and it has all the electronic goodies, which she like to remind me of........"Hi honey, thought I'd call you from the Jeep using the hands-free phone and the voice dial, works great, thank you so much!"..........BAH!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though, Father's Day and my b-day are only a couple of weeks apart and the family is willing to upgrade dad's car hi-fi. I don't think I'm going to be able to use this unit in my Cruiser. Think I'm leaning towards a Kenwood Excelon head. Any thoughts?

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Smurf,

Thanks for the update......bummer about your phone. I hope Sony does right by you and fixes your phone.

Well, I don't have bluetooth in my PT Cruiser, in fact it is a stock stereo setup. So, for a geeky dad like me, this is just a sad state of affairs. Especially since I just bought my wife a new Jeep Cherokee and it has all the electronic goodies, which she like to remind me of........"Hi honey, thought I'd call you from the Jeep using the hands-free phone and the voice dial, works great, thank you so much!"..........BAH!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though, Father's Day and my b-day are only a couple of weeks apart and the family is willing to upgrade dad's car hi-fi. I don't think I'm going to be able to use this unit in my Cruiser. Think I'm leaning towards a Kenwood Excelon head. Any thoughts?

Good to hear she's loving the the new ride LuvMusic the timing couldn't be better hey they owe you one lol. Good luck I hope you can get something to fit in that PT dash. What the hell just cut the fkr find a good installer I'm sure it can be done for dD units those custom guys can do anything these days.
UPS finally delivered the phone yesterday, kudos to Sony for fixing the phone I actually got great CS service. Ana at Sony was super helpful in getting the shipping label and typing down my ordeal with the defective receiver, and that the phone got damaged in the process. Crutchfield was really fast at sending my replacement unit at no cost to me. I called them asking what to do with the defective unit they said hold on to it until your replacement arrives then send it back with our shipping label. So really no down time there and they don't charge you for the replacement as long as they get back the defective unit. I guess the stars all lined up this month, Sony really blew my socks off kudos to the CE co's thank you Sony for making my life super ez.

Here are some pics, the unit went in like butter all wire colors were correct and made the job super ez I didn't even look at a wiring diagram for this job.
The Nav with turn by turn voice works really good check out this quick vid I was using google player with google maps.

WP 20140522 17 42 27 Pro - YouTube
WP_20140522_17_38_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20140522_17_40_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20140522_17_39_45_Pro.jpg
030000a1.jpg

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Smurf,

A quick update.....didn't go with the Sony dock. My family got me an Alpine system for my B-Day and Father's Day that included Bluetooth. Seems to be working awesome.

How is your system working out now that you have had some time to bond with it?

No8

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've just fitted the same unit, using it with my Z3, but I'm experiencing a couple of issues and wondered if you could help.

Firstly, how do you use the Navigation function and listen to either the Tuner/CD/music on phone/music on flash drive at the same time? As soon as I select another source while using the sat nav, it closes down!

Secondly, I've tried a 16GB,, 32GB and 64GB flash drive (all FAT32) but the unit can't play from any of them, instead giving a "No Music" error message, yet all play fine in my son's Sony 601 unit. The only drive I've found to work is a crappy old 8GB that used to have a resin R2D2 cover on it... Sony haven't supplied me with either a list of compatible drives, or told me the maximum capacity drive that is compatible with this unit, despite several requests.

Finally, do you know of a way to search music on the drive through a graphical interface, or do you have to just flick through until you get to the album you want? If so, this is a real pain in the arse, and a dangerous distraction when driving!

I'm seriously thinking of returning this unit to Sony unless I can resolve these issues. Really appreciate any help you can give!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez