Sooo...How's the signal strength?

tdoom15

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So how is the signal vs whatever phone you've had previously? This is one of the factors that has me holding off on purchasing (that and I love webOS).

We just got the s2 to replace my gf's 3D, I'll get more of a chance to play with it tom and see how it does vs the 3d and vs my pre. My pre had consistently better signal than the 3d.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not familiar with sprints service as I was on Verizon but so far it has been pretty good. It has dropped off a couple times on me but came right back up for data but I'm not sure if it is the service or the phone. Call quality is outstanding and I have had no issues with phone calls yet.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
So how is the signal vs whatever phone you've had previously? This is one of the factors that has me holding off on purchasing (that and I love webOS).

We just got the s2 to replace my gf's 3D, I'll get more of a chance to play with it tom and see how it does vs the 3d and vs my pre. My pre had consistently better signal than the 3d.
EGS2 Radio is Better then my EVO 4G and EVO 3D :)
Radio is rock solid Samsung & Sprint finally got it right

Reactions: milominderbinde

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Average so far. Its right there with my old Palm Pre. If bars are any indication though my Photon got stronger 3G reception.

I can't comment on 4G since its not available in my area (except for select areas)

bobby james

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
No issuses so far. I read on a forum (don't remember if it was this one) that it uses the same radio as the Nexus S. That worried me because I had the Nexus for about 2 weeks and had horrible reception, both phone and wifi. I couldn't even connect to my wifi in certain rooms in my apartment. Not the case with the Epic Touch. Strong signal everywhere so far and call quality is outstanding.

mpnalvin

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It looks to be about the same as my Pre- where I live, just outside of Houston.
Wifi is also fine so far, a little less than what I get on my laptop, but not a problem.

Aww. Sad moment. I've been charging my ET with my Pre USB cord, and my Pre just bonged to let me know it needed some juice too. Poor little Pre. :(

So far, versus Pre, I love how fast web pages load (even over Wifi Pre is slow to render). The touchscreen works far better than the Pre's -- no lag when scrolling, or need to press buttons twice to make sure they're working. I love having Skype and Netflix available. And I love the look of the screen -- just gorgeous.

On the negative side, I hate how long this thing is taking to charge, though the battery life is far better than the Pre once it is charged. That's a tradeoff I can live with. What I REALLY hate is the onscreen keyboard. I was trying to fill in a text field that was at the bottom of a web page, and the onscreen keyboard sat itself on top so there was no way to see what I was typing. And it keeps trying to change things like usernames into words. Grrr! Hopefully some of that is a "user education" issue. I am used to typing one-handed on the Pre. I'll have to see if I can still do that with the ET. The level of accuracy required for an on-screen keyboard is much higher because you can't feel your way along to the right key.

I've said more on the negative side here, because it is specific to the transition from the Pre, which you asked about, and also because there's already excellent coverage of the positives of this phone. Don't get me wrong though -- I love the ET, and there's not a question in my mind of taking it back.

If you have more questions from a Pre perspective, just ask.

Reactions: kimdushinski

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Phone and data are strong and BT works fine with my BT Speakerphone in the car. Currently using the hotspot as we're staying at a house on the beach while I do some migrating bird photography and everything is working just dandy.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I actually feel like the EVO had slightly better cell and WIFI reception. I would easily go past my mailbox and still be connected to my home's network. Not the case anymore. Like 5 feet shorter. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch.

Reactions: aog3

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I actually think the reception is worse than the evo 4g...my sister still has a blackberry tour, and she has 3/5 while I have 1/5 bars..wtf...data has been flaky too

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It looks to be about the same as my Pre- where I live, just outside of Houston.
Wifi is also fine so far, a little less than what I get on my laptop, but not a problem.

Aww. Sad moment. I've been charging my ET with my Pre USB cord, and my Pre just bonged to let me know it needed some juice too. Poor little Pre. :(

So far, versus Pre, I love how fast web pages load (even over Wifi Pre is slow to render). The touchscreen works far better than the Pre's -- no lag when scrolling, or need to press buttons twice to make sure they're working. I love having Skype and Netflix available. And I love the look of the screen -- just gorgeous.

On the negative side, I hate how long this thing is taking to charge, though the battery life is far better than the Pre once it is charged. That's a tradeoff I can live with. What I REALLY hate is the onscreen keyboard. I was trying to fill in a text field that was at the bottom of a web page, and the onscreen keyboard sat itself on top so there was no way to see what I was typing. And it keeps trying to change things like usernames into words. Grrr! Hopefully some of that is a "user education" issue. I am used to typing one-handed on the Pre. I'll have to see if I can still do that with the ET. The level of accuracy required for an on-screen keyboard is much higher because you can't feel your way along to the right key.

I've said more on the negative side here, because it is specific to the transition from the Pre, which you asked about, and also because there's already excellent coverage of the positives of this phone. Don't get me wrong though -- I love the ET, and there's not a question in my mind of taking it back.
If you have more questions from a Pre perspective, just ask.
Yeah I couldn't do the Samsung keyboard either once it started throwing its own words in there. I downloaded the stock android 2.3 keyboard from the market after only a few hours.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
NOT SO GOOD!!!
The Galaxy was switching between no bars and roaming while I was at my sister's house. Try to make a call and it was choppy and drops. My EVO 4g and Photon never roam while in her house. The Photon made crystal clear calls while there. All Profile and PRL were updated. 4g seems to work fine though.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
EGS2 Radio is Better then my EVO 4G and EVO 3D :)
Radio is rock solid Samsung & Sprint finally got it right

This.

I too had the HTC EVO 4G and I have to say that the radios used on the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G are far superior. I've done numerous speed tests throughout the day, and I can say with confidence that yy 3G speeds are 25% faster than what I've seen on my EVO.

In terms of the number of bars, it's the same as it was on my EVO.

Wifi radio is great... Especially when you have Wireless N. ;) I've been able to break 30Mbps which is basically my internet's max speed.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So what is the deal, how can some people think the signal is really bad and others think it is very good?

Are there different batches/builds, different factories, or do they just have very inconsistent quality?

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
So what is the deal, how can some people think the signal is really bad and others think it is very good?

Are there different batches/builds, different factories, or do they just have very inconsistent quality?

Actually, it's depend on where you live. 4G Coverage and Speeds in USA and the world. If you live in small town, it may be pretty low signal. If big cities, could be high signal or average either. I live near Boston, my signal strength is pretty high which is good thing to me ALWAYS! :D

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

PRL maybe......
A couple XDA members posted that they speed tested with low wifi bars and it was hot fast so I'm thinking it may be cosmetic for some.
The charger scrolling bug seems to effect some and not others.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I actually feel like the EVO had slightly better cell and WIFI reception. I would easily go past my mailbox and still be connected to my home's network. Not the case anymore. Like 5 feet shorter. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch.

I can confirm that wifi works 5 feet shorter from your mailbox. You need to mow your lawn btw....:)

Reactions: jiris