sprint 10$ exta per month?

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it, everywhere everyone was saying that Sprint was going up 10$ a month for data users whether ur 4G or 3G. And now I see commercials everywhere and Sprint.com still says the same prices. So did it go up or not? I switched to a 4G phone cuz I figured if I was goin to pay for it anyway why not have this kick ass phone. But still what's up with it......I must be missing something

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sprint has been charging an extra $10 fee for 4g capable devices for a while now. As I understand it, after January 30th Sprint will be charging this fee for all smartphones.

ATC Buckeye

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
That's how I understand it too. They call it "premium data". If you had a non-4g smartphone before Jan 30th, you're grandfathered in but as soon as you change or upgrade smartphones (whether it's to a 4g phone or not) you get hit with it.

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
4G phoines will continue to be an extra $10. Some people thought this meant that 4G was now a $20 premium but it isn't. It is $10 across the board for all smart phones.

Pretty shady advertising if they continue announcing the 69.99 everything price in my opinion.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Still the cheapest smartphone plans around. Sad that they charged an extra 10 a month for spotty at best 4g coverage, but still sprints 3g network works the best for me so Im still decently happy.

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yea I'm totally happy with Sprint all the states I travel to r totally covered and they r still the cheapest. Yes. But it still passes me off when I see the commercials still saying 69.99.....is it possible that's for new customers somehow? That doesn't really make sense either but...Grrr it makes me mad. Maybe I will just call Sprint and see what they say.

fwv3232

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It is a $10 fee for all smartphones so that there is not a cap on data....all the other carriers cap their data plans and charge huge amounts for overusage...Sprint is charging the amount so that you can continue to use the data as much as you want. National polls Spring still has the best rates of any carrier.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad they're not charging us more than that. That would either mean to pay it, or go to another carrier.

I still love em' though.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It is a $10 fee for all smartphones so that there is not a cap on data....all the other carriers cap their data plans and charge huge amounts for overusage...Sprint is charging the amount so that you can continue to use the data as much as you want. National polls Spring still has the best rates of any carrier.

I'm not certain that what I'm about to write is correct, but I've read that the no data cap is only for 4G phones, so if you happen to have a 3G smartphone you're going to pay the extra $10/mo and still have that 5GB "soft" cap.

Like I said, that may be completely wrong, but this is what I've read. I'm still very skeptical that Sprint is actually not going to cap data for 4G phones, considering the reasons why everybody else does it (people using their phones as wire line replacements and taking up tens or hundreds of GB/month downloading Blu-Ray torrents, etc.). My guess is this will end one of two ways: either Sprint will create a soft cap, or they'll go the VZW route and throttle people that use the top n% of data.

Followup Edit: Sprint's rates are indeed among the lowest (I think t-mo is pretty close), but with this new fee they are creeping dangerously close to carrier-ambivalence for me. If another carrier had substantially better service or a device that was exactly what I wanted, at this point the price difference isn't as big a deal and I'd probably switch.

Triple Threat

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not certain that what I'm about to write is correct, but I've read that the no data cap is only for 4G phones, so if you happen to have a 3G smartphone you're going to pay the extra $10/mo and still have that 5GB "soft" cap.

Like I said, that may be completely wrong, but this is what I've read. I'm still very skeptical that Sprint is actually not going to cap data for 4G phones, considering the reasons why everybody else does it (people using their phones as wire line replacements and taking up tens or hundreds of GB/month downloading Blu-Ray torrents, etc.). My guess is this will end one of two ways: either Sprint will create a soft cap, or they'll go the VZW route and throttle people that use the top n% of data.

Followup Edit: Sprint's rates are indeed among the lowest (I think t-mo is pretty close), but with this new fee they are creeping dangerously close to carrier-ambivalence for me. If another carrier had substantially better service or a device that was exactly what I wanted, at this point the price difference isn't as big a deal and I'd probably switch.

Sprint's phones, whether 3g or 4g, have never had a data cap. What you're thinking of are the aircards (mobile broadband, data stick, or whatever you wanna call them). The aircards have a a 5GB cap while connected to and pulling data from the 3G network. After 5GB you run into overages of 3cents a kb. While connected to and pulling data from 4G network the aircards have no limit( I went through about 16GB last month with one, with no lag or throttling of any kind) For all the carriers, the phones and aircards, have always had different plans and different rules. The $10.00 increase on smartphones is to insure that phones stay unlimited. Smartphones users use roughly 10-15 times the data a regular phone user uses so it makes sense that only smartphone users are seeing the additional charge

Reactions: fwv3232

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Sprint's phones, whether 3g or 4g, have never had a data cap. What you're thinking of are the aircards (mobile broadband, data stick, or whatever you wanna call them). The aircards have a a 5GB cap while connected to and pulling data from the 3G network. After 5GB you run into overages of 3cents a kb. While connected to and pulling data from 4G network the aircards have no limit( I went through about 16GB last month with one, with no lag or throttling of any kind) For all the carriers, the phones and aircards, have always had different plans and different rules. The $10.00 increase on smartphones is to insure that phones stay unlimited. Smartphones users use roughly 10-15 times the data a regular phone user uses so it makes sense that only smartphone users are seeing the additional charge

It's either that or...

Sprint received a lot of scrutiny when they started charging 10 dollars for unlimited 4G data since the original EVO was released. Springs allegedly pays Clear 9 dollars for every 4G-capable smartphone they sell to borrow their 4G. The problem is that people who live in areas that don't have 4G available still have to pay 10 dollars. My guess is that the reason behind that move is that many people travel, and those people would be most likely to travel to an 4G area, thus, they wouldn't be the ones to be giving out free data. This makes sense (kinda sorta) when one takes into account the fact that there are areas that don't even have 3G available where people still get charged the full 30 dollars for data... However, with Sprint facing a pending lawsuit for this, they had to come up with something good...and they did: Charge 10 extra dollars for data on every smartphone to give the appearance that their 3G/4G is so good that it's customers would pay a premium to get it (with the exception of some California residents who sue people for a living). I can complain though. I like having unlimited 3G and 4G data. I like being able to look at as many web pages and watch as many YouTube videos as I want. Some people get their data throttled to unusable speeds (for me) when they exceed 5 or 10 GB in a month on T-Mobile's, AT&T's, and Verizon's networks. How many of those people that got their data throttled on those networks do you think would'be paid 10 extra bucks for unlimited data...I know I would!... So, is it a genius strategy to add a 10 charge for all smartphone to sidestep a lawsuit, or a legitimate price increase to help cover the cost of being able to provide unlimited premium data?... At any rate, if they're gonna charge 10 extra dollars for smartphone, then they shouldn't aggressively advertise the 70 bucks for the everything data deal...

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fwv3232

LurkMoar

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Still the cheapest smartphone plans around. Sad that they charged an extra 10 a month for spotty at best 4g coverage, but still sprints 3g network works the best for me so Im still decently happy.

why do people keep saying this??

the cheapest cost of a smartphone plan with sprint is $79
guess how much tmobile is? $79
with an even more plus plan its even less, $59 i believe

and virgin mobile (ya sprint owns them) smart phone plans start at $25

"sprint" is NOT the cheapest!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member