Sprint Connection Optimizer: Battery Saver or Drainer?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if anyone can answer. I've never heard of people using it.. Only people turning it off :p.

I keep it off because I know when I'm near wifi I want to use so.. It's a quick swipe down of the notification bar and then tap wifi.. And then when I know I won't be near one that I would want.. Repeat the process and keep wifi off.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

killakel77

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I use Sprint Connection Optimizer and I don't know if it made a difference or not. But I can tell you this, I only have to charge my phone once a day with constant usages.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I use it all the time with the Epic 4G and will plan to use it on the SGIII. I like not having to remember to turn wifi on or off. I think it saves battery.

42rj21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Aside from the battery, I think it's a security issue. Right after I got this phone, I had to do jury duty in LA and the jury room had free wifi available. Of course it was unencrypted. While I was waiting, I was handling some pretty sensitive corporate emails, and got this message that there was an unsuccessful unauthorized log in attempt. That freaked me out. I remembered that the connection was unencrypted and quickly turned off wifi. And on throughout the day, the wifi would magically turn itself on without me toggling it. At the time, I couldn't figure it out. I eventually figured out later that it had this new functionality. An environment like that would be the perfect setting for a thief to setup in the corner and sniff the unencrypted data being transmitted. You would think that they would imbed some sort of feature where it wouldn't automatically connect unless it was encrypted or at least prompting me first.

From what I've seen out there, most casual smartphones users aren't all that sophisticated. Most don't know about security issues related to networks and data. They probably couldn't even navigate through advanced settings if their lives depended on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oneup