Sprint Unveils New Device at NYC..

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So after all the hype and the waiting Sprint and David Blaine have revelaed their "Big Industry" Device tonight at live NYC gala!

Sprint's new device is:

Kyocera ECHO:

phpgSPgLm50SPRINT_DavidBlaine_CNET.jpg

P1000598_1_610x458.jpg

P1000604_540x405.jpg

P1000593_540x405.jpg

Available later this spring for $199.99 with a two-year contract, the Kyocera Echo boasts two 3.5-inch WVGA touch screens and a "pivot hinge" that allows you to place the two displays side by side to form a larger 4.7-inch display. In development for more than a year and a half (even longer for the hardware), the Echo runs Android 2.2 and features software that is optimized to take advantage of the two screens.

There are actually four modes in which you can use the Android 2.2 device: standard, tablet, optimized, and simultasking. In standard mode, you can use the Echo as a traditional touch-screen smartphone. The pivot hinge allows you to tuck the second display under the first, so you can navigate and operate the handset like many of today's latest devices. Meanwhile, tablet mode lets you view and interact with an app on both screens

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20030895-251.html#ixzz1DJskPnVx

Word is that Sprint is going to showcase a 3D Device and the EVO 2 at the Mobile World Congress.

Also..coming very soon....WINDOWS 7 PHONE FOR SPRINT!! Stay Tuned!!

Last edited:

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Cool concept, but the phone itself is ugly. Plus I don't trust Kyocera at all with build quality. Do you have any sources about this so-called 3D device or EVO 2 for Sprint at MWC? No sources = No bueno!

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
What a joke...

Seriously? Flip out dual screens? Why would you even consider that a show stopper?

As an engineer personally, I'm disgusted.

Last edited:

Got2buzz

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Questions

How many of you now carry a SANYO device?

Why will developers waste their time on a "one of kind" device?

How many of you have no interest in having 4G?

How long until the hinge takes a dump?

PASS!:(

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Is the middle soft button a Windows button????

Doesn't look like the standard menu button on most Android devices.

Okay, I get the netbook-mini look of it. The quality looks very sub-par. I don't know if it is lights reflecting around the logo indentations, but it looks like the paint is already chipping off near the screen.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Very Reliable source....trust me..lol

My sources at HTC and Sprint are denying it. The same sources that have leaked reliable updates that I have posted here before it was public. So need some proof.. Otherwise it's no good. You are also a new member here with no background of credibility. Do you work for Radioshack? If that's the case your guys sources are nothing but smoke.

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My sources at HTC and Sprint are denying it. The same sources that have leaked reliable updates that I have posted here before it was public. So need some proof.. Otherwise it's no good. You are also a new member here with no background of credibility. Do you work for Radioshack? If that's the case your guys sources are nothing but smoke.

Guess we will find out next monday when MWC starts....to be continued...and why do i need proof...isn't this called the NEWS Section...its says "rumors" and so fourth....so deal with it...

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Guess we will find out next monday when MWC starts....to be continued...and why do i need proof...isn't this called the NEWS Section...its says "rumors" and so fourth....so deal with it...

You mean CTIA? Sprint won't be at MWC, from what I have heard. Next month will be when we know. Also no need to be rude.. This is just the way of these things. No sources and it's smoke. I wasn't trying to be rude. Sprint makes more announcements at CTIA. Just like they did last year with the EVO. It's mostly for manufacturers to make announcements at MWC from what I remember. Not carriers...

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You mean CTIA? Sprint won't be at MWC, from what I have heard. Next month will be when we know. Also no need to be rude.. This is just the way of these things. No sources and it's smoke. I wasn't trying to be rude. Sprint makes more announcements at CTIA. Just like they did last year with the EVO.

From what you heard? Is that "smoke"?? Cause Sprint will be their..That i know for a fact! But we will see next week...lets just let the cards fall and see what happens and see who has the better "sources"....peace out!

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
From what you heard? Is that "smoke"?? Cause Sprint will be their..That i know for a fact! But we will see next week...lets just let the cards fall and see what happens and see who has the better "sources"....peace out!

Have you ever covered a MWC event? It is not for carriers, it is a manufacturers conference. CTIA is what your thinking of. You got it completely twisted. Do your research next time.

http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/event/who_attends.htm

Dan Hesse is not on that list of keynote speakers. So no Sprint will not be there.
http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/conference/conference_overview.htm

Sprint will be making an appearance at CTIA 2011
http://www.ctiawireless.com/info/index.cfm/keynote-sessions

Last edited:

Pierpoint

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
How long until the hinge takes a dump?

PASS!:(

I was thinking along the same lines. I was like,"Hmmm a Kyocera with two LCDs?" Sounds like more parts that will need to be replaced when the manufacturer's defects start kicking in.

Alllthough I do appreciate them taking the path yet to be taken. We need more non-traditional ideas.

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Is the middle soft button a Windows button????

Doesn't look like the standard menu button on most Android devices.

Okay, I get the netbook-mini look of it. The quality looks very sub-par. I don't know if it is lights reflecting around the logo indentations, but it looks like the paint is already chipping off near the screen.

Not only that, it's filthy as hell.

In sales presentation is KEY! You know what they say about first impressions..

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
As much as people are dumping on this, I think it's a good idea in the future. Dual 4" displays, and using the fragments API to take advantage of both screens. So like the tablet version, you would see two separate sections of the app at once. That might be cool. As it stands though, not right now.

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think its pretty cool. They definitely could have done alot more with it, but the dual screen multitasking is a brilliant idea. I cant count the number of times that I wished I could have 2 apps open at the same time. I know its simple to switch between running apps, but not like this. Kindle on 1 screen, power amp on the other. Internet on 1 screen, docs to go on the other. etc, etc. I for one hope they do more with this.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The biggest problem, like others have noted, is the number of API's Sprint and Kyocera had to create just to get apps to work properly with the dual-screen. I fear that's really going to not only delay future OS updates, but it's also going to severely limit the number of third party developers willing to write applications that take advantage of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mt20apps