Standby Power Drain

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. In terms of screen on battery life, the Turbo is the best phone I've ever owned. But the idle drain is so much higher than any other phone I've used. It drains 1% per hour when not being used, even on airplane mode. It's almost as if something is running even when all apps and radios are off. Does anyone else have the same experience? Any fixes?

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
GPS can still be active in airplane mode, and looking/keeping a lock on those little buggers can be taxing. Something could be trying to keep your location. Any apps in RAM could be it. If found, consider wiping at least app cache, and maybe even app data.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. In terms of screen on battery life, the Turbo is the best phone I've ever owned. But the idle drain is so much higher than any other phone I've used. It drains 1% per hour when not being used, even on airplane mode. It's almost as if something is running even when all apps and radios are off. Does anyone else have the same experience? Any fixes?
I would consider a 1% idle drain as being acceptable. I don't have any recommendations except to say that the Doze power saving function in Marshmallow should improve this.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
GPS can still be active in airplane mode, and looking/keeping a lock on those little buggers can be taxing. Something could be trying to keep your location. Any apps in RAM could be it. If found, consider wiping at least app cache, and maybe even app data.

Thanks! Do you think this is possible even if I have my GPS/location seeing turned to off?

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure. I'm no expert, just an amateur who's dabbled here and there. Could also be wake-lock, and there are apps that sniff those out.

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site

I would think that 1% an hour would be sufficient. Think of it this way. 1% an hour would only lower your battery to 76% in a full 24 hours. Take that number and you can get 4 days straight out of it.

They do claim with periodic/normal/moderate use it can get about 2 days (which I haven't seen with my T2) but with the rate you're going, you could do just that.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I would think that 1% an hour would be sufficient. Think of it this way. 1% an hour would only lower your battery to 76% in a full 24 hours. Take that number and you can get 4 days straight out of it.

They do claim with periodic/normal/moderate use it can get about 2 days (which I haven't seen with my T2) but with the rate you're going, you could do just that.

You're right. And as my battery settled in, I've noticed it going through an 8 hour night and only losing 3%. That's really good! Very happy with this improvement.