Still happy with my Nexus-S 4G

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I am still pretty happy with my Nexus-S 4G. I am loving the stock/vanilla Android OS, after trying many different ROM's and launchers, I always seem to go back to the "pure" launcher and style. I do have the Oxygen ROM which is the base Android OS just tweaked and stripped to be very fast with good battery life.

I was tempted to get the Sprint Galaxy S2, while it is a great phone, probably the best Android device for sale right now, it just did not seem night and day radically better than my Nexus-S. The S II still runs Gingerbread and looks so similar to my Nexus I don't see the need to get that phone right now. And my Nexus is not slow by any means. I am eagerly waiting for the reveal of the next Nexus-Three device with "Ice Cream", that would be the first to tempt me away, or at least get Ice Cream running stock on my Nexus-S.

If there is any beef with this phone, it is the radio/network, and Sprint's poor 3G service lately. Hopefully we get good news next month when the CEO of Sprint discusses the future network plans on Oct 7th.

snap20110924_110901.png

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Clock = SiMi Widget in Market
LWP = Mystical Grass in Market

I am not a big live wallpaper guy, but this one is so cool, very minimalistic And keeping the black and green theme that Samsung phones with Gingerbread were designed.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I am still pretty happy with my Nexus-S 4G.
I'm looking to add a line and have gone into the Sprint store twice to do the side by side comparison thing. I absolutely love the Epic Touch. Hands down it's a great phone and I won't get into the plusses or minuses here. BUT I just can't get over the fact that it doesn't seem like it's 198, 170, whatever dollars better than the NS4G. If it was my only device, sure, I'd probably go for it, but like I said there just seems to be way more value in the NS4G at their respective price points.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree. None of the dual core phones really outperform the NS4G yet, so i don't see the point is switching. I put mine up against a friends new Bionic the other day and he was amazed that the NS4G was smoother. Just don't try to tell people on these forums with new dual cores that the Nexus is comparable...they'll call you a liar, lol.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i just got mine a week ago, and i have been considering switching to a different device, like the GS2, evo 3d, or photon. but like stated earlier, none are night and day difference especially when you compare price point? $29 bucks is crazy cheap for this NS4g!!! however, my ONLY complaint is my service! i never have 4 bars , usually one bar... and my 3g is super spotty. dont even have 4g in my area... closest places are about 1 hour away to pick up minimal 4g coverage. however when i compare my NS4g to my uncles evo and his BB, they both have a better signal than my nexus on the same network... makes me wonder.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
My one complaint is that I notice the limitations of a non-dual core device when running Navigation and Pandora at the same time. Sometimes the two hiccup and there's issues with the Nav app taking a while to change the image or the sound skips a bit. The other day, the phone actually froze to where I couldn't even turn it off! I had to pull the battery.

madeincanon

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for about 2 months now, and I've been in love. Dev support is getting better with it being on AT&T now as well.

Oxygen is definitely my favorite ROM, but I've been on stock since the 2.3.7 update. Tweaking the colors in Voodoo make the already amazing screen that much better too!

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
My one complaint is that I notice the limitations of a non-dual core device when running Navigation and Pandora at the same time. Sometimes the two hiccup and there's issues with the Nav app taking a while to change the image or the sound skips a bit. The other day, the phone actually froze to where I couldn't even turn it off! I had to pull the battery.

Two applications at once are about the only thing that slows this phone down. Just as fast as dual cores till you hit it with two heavy apps like that.

eblackman

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone and sorry if this is wrong forum to post this but can someone please explain what ROM is and how does it work. I see the term OXYGEN ROM. Once again how does it work and will it make my nexus better? How do you do it?

actionjackson22

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
A ROM is basically what your phone runs on. In this case, if your not rooted, your running Stock ROM which is basically what google made, Stock Android. Now there are custom ROMS rather than stock. If you look in the Root and hacks section of this phone's forum, you can see a list of custom ROMS such as Deck's ROM or Oxygen. Custom ROMS offer more settings to tweak, sometimes better battery life, and other various features. Kernels are what connect the ROM to your physical phone's hardware. If you install custom kernels, like the matrix 7.5 kernel, you can see better battery life and even change how the colors work on your phone's display making it more bright and colorful. anyway THERE YOU GO! lol

derwin

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
my brother is a die hard iPhone guy and he was bragging about rumored upcoming features of iOS 5. he said that you could talk into your phone, say "go to McDonalds" and it will verbally guise you to the nearest location. i took out my Nexus S and flatly said "navigate to McDonald's" and Google navigation opened right away. he just sort of muttered something about Apple doing everything well and sort of shut up about it. hahaha

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
my brother is a die hard iPhone guy and he was bragging about rumored upcoming features of iOS 5. he said that you could talk into your phone, say "go to McDonalds" and it will verbally guise you to the nearest location. i took out my Nexus S and flatly said "navigate to McDonald's" and Google navigation opened right away. he just sort of muttered something about Apple doing everything well and sort of shut up about it. hahaha

My friend will say things like Meh! I had netflix first!

Showed him Sega Emulator. With Sonic. He goes I have Sonic. I said yea... but this IS Sega. Show him another game. "Is that streets of rage!" Yea... "Meh! I had netflix first!"

Reactions: eriaa01

jenluvs2sing

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I LOVE how iPhone people are always quick to point out how their phone is better than yours, regardless of what you have. Makes me giggle.

I've had mine just over a week, haven't really done all that much to it, I want to learn the basics before I go messing with ROMs and such, but I'll start tweaking eventually. It's what I always do. ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Fruit phones will never compete with our Android devices. I will not explain my reasons why I say this its just my opinion and that's it :p

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Fruit phones will never compete with our Android devices. I will not explain my reasons why I say this its just my opinion and that's it :p

There's no need to explain why to anyone who owns a Nexus and has rooted it. Maybe if you haven't but I still can't see that being the case. My friend with an old build of cm7 who loves his phone keeps talking about the iPhone though. Said he's bored. Be realllllll boring on an iPhone when you can't mess with things.

I wish I knew how to build my own ROMs.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Building your own roms is not that tough Blackhawk. You seem very in touch things from reading you're posts around here. I think you would be very capable of some mods and changes to crate your own version of a ROM.

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Building your own roms is not that tough Blackhawk. You seem very in touch things from reading you're posts around here. I think you would be very capable of sound some mods and changes to crate your own version of a ROM.

I know I could do it if I knew how to do it; but, I don't know how to do it, lol. If someone had a well articulated guide/manual on how to do so I'm sure I could figure it out. I did a quick search earlier with no such luck of finding one. Anyone know of a really good one?