Still, No update to Gingerbread, Samsung doens't change!

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Epic for my wife last year, and all she has had is problems with her phone, from bluetooth not working once in a while to the phone locking up. I have formatted it, reinstalled nothing seems to get to work properly. I blame Samsung for poor implementation of there Froyo software. I told my wife that Samsung had great hardware, but their software wasn't that great and they never update their software ever. Gingerbread for the Epic should of been out months ago, yet Samsung seem to forget about the Epic. Now she is wanting an iPhone when it comes to Sprint, but of course she doesn't get an upgrade till August of 2012. She wouldn't have wanted to change if her phone had worked right in the first place. Now I get her complaining all the time about how bad her phone is.

Will Gingerbread ever come out for the Epic? She won't let me root her phone, so that is not an option. Will Samsung just give up on the phone, like I thought they would?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt they would give up. But I'm pretty sure they want to release it only when it's 100% ready. The leaks we've seen of GB for the Epic, have been pretty good, but not 100%.
All 2.3.3 all had radio issues that could crash the phone in low signal areas.
The 2.3.4 based ones either had issues with gps, or BT, or the browser back button. If samsung wants people to buy their phones in the future, they will have to make it right with us.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would like to think the race is on for sure with the EOL (End of Life) for the Epic 4g on Sprint's sales list being in October. I would think Sprint has the pressure on Samsung to get it out before that happens...

Bmwillz

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I would like to think the race is on for sure with the EOL (End of Life) for the Epic 4g on Sprint's sales list being in October. I would think Sprint has the pressure on Samsung to get it out before that happens...

Just what I predicted. The new phone will be out before the update. When does it become enough already with this phone.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
On the bright side, it hasn't taken as long as Duke Nukem Forever! But of course there's not much that has taken as long as Duke Nukem Forever...

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they should make it right with loyal customers purchasing their flagship phone a year ago, but from a business sense, how much more time and money will be put into a phone going out the door??

Yes, that is not the answer I want either.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
We will never see a gingerbread update. Hmmm...so unlike samsung to lie to their customers....not

You're an idiot. Why would Samsung devote this much time and energy to developing GB, leak it like crazy for months, only to give up in the final stages of bug testing?

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I don't think Sprint or Samsung considers the Epic to be any sort of priority.

Why would it?

Sprint has a hot line up of new phones: Evo 3D, Epic Touch, Photon, Nexus S 4G. New phones will always come to Sprint's doorstep. In fact, I would think that Sprint would probably be pleased that the Epic is reaching the end of line -- no more customer complaints; just get a new phone!

Samsung isn't pressured either. Their mobile division is a small part of what they do. They have phones falling out of the sky like raindrops.

Besides, 99% of people who have Epics don't know what this website is, don't know what rooting is, and don't know how bad their phone actually is. I'm sure most of them know it is an Android phone, but if you ask them if the phone had Eclair, Froyo, or Gingerbread, they'd probably think that was a preinstalled recipe app on the phone.

EOL indeed. God save the devs out there who made this phone semi-functional.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My phone never locks up, does everything it was advertised to do and does it very well. I think I could easily use this epic for another three years without Gingerbread. And yes I've been on this website and forum since I bought this phone 10 months ago. I have never had the issues that I've read here. Yes, I am running stock no rooting. Never have and never will.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they should make it right with loyal customers purchasing their flagship phone a year ago, but from a business sense, how much more time and money will be put into a phone going out the door??

Yes, that is not the answer I want either.

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think that the Epic was ever considered to be a flagship phone. It was always EVO this and EVO that... the Epic was on the premier level, but the EVO always had that top tier support and acknowledgement. I really hope this changes and the E4GT steps into this spot (which it should considered the specs, right?!?!?!), but who's to know? :confused:

kmarx

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
This will be the last Samsung phone I will own. I will only buy HTC or I really like the new Motorola Photon. Samsung is always behind on upgrading their software. For the most part their beta releases work but some of the programs that I use are not regonized when I use the beta programs so I have to return back to 2.2.

sweetmonster457

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The international Galaxy S has gingerbread. I've had Gingerbread on my Sprint Galaxy Tab w/3g for months. i know the epic has a keyboard, but other than that aren't they almost identical? Why is this taking so long?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycowboyway