Still Worth It?

hatsoffexpress

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
So I am a device addict. I have the D1, Incredible, the Fascinate and a WP7. However upon buying a Nook Color two Saturdays ago ( last one at Best Buy BEFORE they pulled 'em ;) ) I realized I wanted to narrow down my list to 1 Smartphone and a perfect compliment in the NC.

I currently have a Verizon and T-Mobile account, but was enticed by the "truly unlimited," nature of data plans on Sprint. Enter the Question...Is the EVO 4G still worth it. I am going to cancel my TMO plan and have one line left on contract with Verizon. I want the faster device (network speeds). Maybe I should just go Thunderbolt, but I'm hesitant only because of these Verizon Data Caps. And throttles.

The experience I have had with the Sammy Fascinate really makes me want to steer clear of the Epic, and the EVO Shift, just isn't for me.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Evo is great phone...

I can not answer the question because I have no idea of the power you need. I can tell you that the EVO will kick the shiit out of the Nook. The nook has a bigger screen...

so if you think the Nook is fast and powerful enough.. then.....

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been a Sprint customer now for about 3 years, and have super happy with them. Especially on the data side of things. The data is truly unlimited, and the speeds seem to be faster on 3G then VZW devices I have tested. Call quality is great, but it all depends on coverage in your area. I have also had the Evo since its June release and have never happier with a device. The community is also another big plus, especially with HTC.

Personally I would steer clear of Samsung on devices. As they are very nice devices, but when it comes to updates it is just a mess. As for community? It's very bare... Again it is all up to you, it will be your device in the end.

hatsoffexpress

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I see your point dan330, but I wouldn't be so confident that the EVO blows the Nook Color away in the speed department. It is definatley more feature filled but that OMAP clocked at 800 does pretty well...and that's stock. Plus as soon as the eMMC image is CWM flashable Ill be slapping Honeycomb on this beast. Win...but that's in my book. I actually am really interested in tethering the NC to the 4G speed of Evo when browsing the net and using e-mail/Facebook, but not being savvy of Sprints lineup begs the question....should I wait? What's coming out? I have an Incredible, so I have a good idea of what the experience will be like.

@splmonster, yeah Sammy lost my buisness after the Fascinate was forgotten by them, I seriously didn't get Nexus S based on principle. Where is the" Thanks Button?"

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I see your point dan330, but I wouldn't be so confident that the EVO blows the Nook Color away in the speed department. It is definatley more feature filled but that OMAP clocked at 800 does pretty well...and that's stock. Plus as soon as the eMMC image is CWM flashable Ill be slapping Honeycomb on this beast. Win...but that's in my book. I actually am really interested in tethering the NC to the 4G speed of Evo when browsing the net and using e-mail/Facebook, but not being savvy of Sprints lineup begs the question....should I wait? What's coming out? I have an Incredible, so I have a good idea of what the experience will be like.

@splmonster, yeah Sammy lost my buisness after the Fascinate was forgotten by them, I seriously didn't get Nexus S based on principle. Where is the" Thanks Button?"

Right on the post.. Button says Thanks.

Reactions: hatsoffexpress

hatsoffexpress

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
@splmonster I was using my rooted Nook to browse and the Thanks button doesn't show up on the hacked up kit I'm running right now.

Pulled the trigger by the way. Stopped in and grabbed an EVO today. Apple now owns Verizon. And I was blown away by the perks of being on Sprint. Excited to see how this thing plays out.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the EVO, and my wife has the EPIC. I prefer the EVO. I think I have better battery life than my wife, with basically equal usage. I also think HTC does a better job with updates and solutions than Samsung does.

The keyboard on the EPIC, in my opinion, is awesome. As a BB user for years, the keyboard on the EPIC is wonderful. I wanted something a little more streamlined, and with all the different keyboards available in the market, finding one I liked was not that difficult.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The Evo is great, but in my area Sprint is OK. I seem to have to call a lot on Network outages, which doesn't bother me technology fails I know. Its the 4 days of Phone tag trying to convince them its not my phone. After that they fix it quite fast.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I feel much better about recently buying my Evo. I figured Sprint was going to show off the Evo2, but instead they're all proud and beaming about the POS Kyocera Echo...lol Kyocera should just stay in the printer business. HTC rules the smartphone world.

hatsoffexpress

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I feel much better about recently buying my Evo. I figured Sprint was going to show off the Evo2, but instead they're all proud and beaming about the POS Kyocera Echo...lol Kyocera should just stay in the printer business. HTC rules the smartphone world.

Just got my baby rooted, ate a Rosemary Foccia Pizza and about to go ROM shopping! :D

hatsoffexpress

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the recommend Dan! I've been reading but haven't pulled the trigger on any ROM's yet because it seems like WiMax is a handful for a lot of developers and I am blanketed in 4G I get full signal in my brick apartment!

Do you know of any other ROM's that include functioning WiMax. I was going to hop directly into Cyanogen Mod but it has been called a "slut" on XDA forums so...

I'm rocking Sprint Lover's Debloated w/ Gingerbread ADW Launcher and Gingerbread keyboard...for now.
:cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usapana_098