Stock OS reinstall after rooting

bimgike75

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up an open box Iconia at Staples. The store manager told me it was just returned yesterday and the customer complained of issues with it locking up. I have used it for about an hour now but have noticed no locking issues. Two things I did notice, however, are:
1.) When I did a factory restore, I received an "installing .apk message" after the Android splash screen. It then showed a message "install successful" right after that.
2.) I also notice a Superuser icon in the apps, which leaves me to believe that this was rooted.

Is there a way to flash back to the original Android OS on this? It currently shows Android 3.1 on the system screen.

Since I paid only $260 for this ($400- 10% open box - $100 coupon) I really hope that nothing is screwed up with it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

trgilman

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Is that done by pressing in the reset button on the side? I did the factory restore selection withing the menu screen, but I didn't press the button on the side yet.

What you did was the full factory restore. If you are not having any issues with it, I would just leave it in it's current state.

Asaroth2010

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
If you did the factory restore your the closest to New your going to get (shipped with 3.01). It looks like it was updated to 3.1 I wouldn't worry about superuser app to much not knowing how it was rooted in the first place,try looking for an app named Iconia root . If you find it I'm not sure if running it again will unroot

bimgike75

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
When I go to the "About Tablet" section on the menu it lists the Kernel version as "2.6.36.4HoneyVillain-1.0+" and the Build Number as "HoneyVillain 1.05" I am assuming that there was more done to this than rooting... If I cannot return it to stock I am strongly leaning towards returning it.

Asaroth2010

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Custom Rom, has anyone figured out how to use the manual update file for 3.1?? I downloaded it when I was having such a problem getting the update. Could post link to it if you can use it

HarshReality

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I love mine.. its got speed and responsiveness but Ive rooted and done some tweaking.. As I am a clutterphobe I typically do a restore every few months but to be honest I didnt caare for the pricetag (450 when first released at BB) when I see a pricedrop or coupon I wince a bit. But I wouldnt give it up ;)

Asaroth2010

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
When I go to the "About Tablet" section on the menu it lists the Kernel version as "2.6.36.4HoneyVillain-1.0+" and the Build Number as "HoneyVillain 1.05" I am assuming that there was more done to this than rooting... If I cannot return it to stock I am strongly leaning towards returning it.
Iconia A500 Android Development - xda-developers
Look for [OTA] Full Package and Update. There are all the full packages and its updates

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
looking into buying this tablet, how does it measure up against other android tablets?

Despite problems with the latest update, the previous update went smooth, the Acer Iconia is a great tablet and in many owners opinions it is better than the others. I have had mine now since they originally launched & have had no problems at all. Though I'm staying way from the 3.1 update until they fix those problems in the next one. ha..I see that the transformer is having problesn with their latest update as well.

If you purchase an Iconia, before you even use it, do a factory reset first, it runs much smoother without any lag. or so I;m told..I didn't do a factory reset on mine & it runs as smooth as silk....go figure.

splatoid

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

That ROM is from the XDA web site. Did this Tablet come with a external sdcard. If so there may be a backup of the original ROM on the card.If not you can get a clean ROM for your tablet and you can flash it back to the original.
If you want to do this let me know and I will help you out with how to proceed. It should be quite simple since it was already rooted. I will give you links to where the file you need is and directions on how to do it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire