Storage- miscellaneous files 📁 (can they be deleted?)

MrRiceNGravy

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys. I was just wondering how much of your phones storage is took up by misc files? This seems like a good bit to me (9.85GB). Over half of my used storage is coming from misc files. And is it a bad idea if I delete those files?
TIA

Attachments

• 1456341447490.jpg
    1456341447490.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 60

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Storage- miscellaneous files 📁

Depends on what your misc. files are. If they're game saves or extra downloads, yeah, some of those files might be a bad idea to remove. If it's cached data, then go ahead (some of your apps might start up slower the first time after that, but no biggie).

srinathp1988

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

Click on the misc files, you will see the break up..for me it shows as 2gb but when i click on it, i dont see the sub folders adding upto 2 gb..

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

@spookdroid thanks... So I'm guessing this is normal or should u delete some stuff?

It's normal to a certain extent. Some apps do keep cached files for too long, so you can manually clear those either from the Application Manager or a 3rd party app that clears all caches. If you use 3rd party cleaners just make sure that what they're telling you they'll remove is actually something you want removed (some will try to delete old pictures or media files assuming you're backing them up elsewhere). Some Misc files cannot be deleted as they might be app files (extra downloads, config files, etc.) and some might be hidden from view.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Assuming that you are not rooted then you can delete whatever they let you delete without affecting the system, but it could affect specific apps. You should read and understand what they specific miscellaneous files before deleting

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
"System memory" is also included in the "Miscellaneous files" calculation. On my Verizon Note 5, "System memory" consumes 10.97GB.