Storing photos and videos to minimize storage impact on S23?

migs_inc

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Getting an S23 with fixed storage so I want to minimize the impact of files stored on the camera. I have a Dropbox account and I have backed up photos and videos stored on Dropbox for years.

What I ideally want is to have the phone only store thumbnails locally, so I can see the image on the phone, and then download one or more photos or videos to the phone if I am in particular need. Are there settings that would allow me to do that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Dropbox probably doesn't have the same functionality as Google Photos, where you can select a "Free Up Space" option that automatically deletes photos from local storage that the app knows has already been backed up to the cloud. I assume you'd rather not use Google Photos for this, since you presumably pay for a lot of Dropbox storage already?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
OneDrive has this option too.

If you have an Office.com subscription, it includes 1TB of cloud storage.

I have had this for years and best deal out there.Screenshot_20230225_141619_Samsung%20Cloud.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using AC Forums mobile app. This is not a potato.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I prefer to self host (big believer in the phrase, "The cloud is just some else’s hard drive.")

I use syncthing to transfer photos and videos to my home server. And then delete them off my local phone storage. For playback/access I view them off my Plex server through the Plex app.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
No, it is clearly not a potato nor any other vegetable. Thanks for your response and a laugh when one was needed.

Glad you got a laugh out of it. :D

I'm curious what that little tag means in @Talderon 's signature. Inside joke?:confused:

I am a fan of Stephen Colbert, and this is just one of the thing he says. My S23 Ultra is not a potato, and I just wanted to let everyone know. :p

https://www.cbsstore.com/products/t...-is-potato-charity-adult-short-sleeve-t-shirt

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qqw999adsfdg