Strange Bionic happenings

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
So I'm super happy with my phone, but I keep having small problems and I'm not sure if it's defective or not. One thing that bugs me a lot is sometimes I'll be using it and the screen starts thinking I'm pressing it in several places. An example would be on my keyboard I will try to use Swype and when I'm swiping to the next key, the path will fly all over the screen and type like KVKMSMOM nd fjfjf and then I go to erase it, and when I hit the backspace it will keep typing a key like vvvvvvv over and over again. It's getting really annoying and it only does if part of the time. And then I'll wait and turn it back on and it'll work again!
Another problem that could just be the phone in general is my battery life. I'll be on wifi only, everything is turned off, brightness down, etc. and the battery will drop like 10% in a few minutes. I've been turning off all the radios and everything and I've still only been getting like 6 hours of battery life. The biggest usage on my battery usage screen is the radios, so I'm just thinking that I may just be in terribly covered areas more often. But where my old phone was getting 3 bars, I get one bar. It's a bit strange.
Should I go back to Radioshack and tell them I think my phone is defective?

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
So I'm super happy with my phone, but I keep having small problems and I'm not sure if it's defective or not. One thing that bugs me a lot is sometimes I'll be using it and the screen starts thinking I'm pressing it in several places. An example would be on my keyboard I will try to use Swype and when I'm swiping to the next key, the path will fly all over the screen and type like KVKMSMOM nd fjfjf and then I go to erase it, and when I hit the backspace it will keep typing a key like vvvvvvv over and over again. It's getting really annoying and it only does if part of the time. And then I'll wait and turn it back on and it'll work again!
Another problem that could just be the phone in general is my battery life. I'll be on wifi only, everything is turned off, brightness down, etc. and the battery will drop like 10% in a few minutes. I've been turning off all the radios and everything and I've still only been getting like 6 hours of battery life. The biggest usage on my battery usage screen is the radios, so I'm just thinking that I may just be in terribly covered areas more often. But where my old phone was getting 3 bars, I get one bar. It's a bit strange.
Should I go back to Radioshack and tell them I think my phone is defective?

Obvious question here is have you installed any 3rd party keyboards, rooted it to freeze or rename bloatware, etc... or is it still mostly stock? Still sounds potentially defective to me, just thought i'd ask :)

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Obvious question here is have you installed any 3rd party keyboards, rooted it to freeze or rename bloatware, etc... or is it still mostly stock? Still sounds potentially defective to me, just thought i'd ask :)

I did root it, but the battery life was awful before, and this screen problem I'm pretty sure was happening beforehand too. Right now I'm at 87% after an hour of idling, and I've played music for 5 minutes and typed these messages

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Also, Swype is pre installed, and technically is a third parry keyboard, but it isn't the only place where the problem happens, it was only an example

DatkidPudge

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Same man.. I'm having battery issues.. and data issues.. i get like a good 8 hours of light to med usage.. which i guess is average, but if i put on 4g im looking more into the 5-6 hour range.. :/

My data issues are killing me tho.. One day I won't be able to load gmail, twitter, other apps.. but I'll still be able to use the internet? weird..

I'm waiting for costco to have bionics in stock so I can exchange, but if my Bionic is still acting up, and the Prime comes out within 90 days, I might need to exchange for that...Costco comes in handy for that I guess..

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Same man.. I'm having battery issues.. and data issues.. i get like a good 8 hours of light to med usage.. which i guess is average, but if i put on 4g im looking more into the 5-6 hour range.. :/

My data issues are killing me tho.. One day I won't be able to load gmail, twitter, other apps.. but I'll still be able to use the internet? weird..

I'm waiting for costco to have bionics in stock so I can exchange, but if my Bionic is still acting up, and the Prime comes out within 90 days, I might need to exchange for that...Costco comes in handy for that I guess..

I'm going to let my battery drain to 10% to see how long it truly should last, but right now after 4h 43m 4s I'm at 30%. I was at church for the past few hours, so I didn't really use it quite that much. I used it to download an app so I can have my bible and scriptures on my phone (very nice :)) and I looked up a new part for my car while I was talking with someone about it (I'm pretty sure my dad broke my cam with too long of bolts on my oil pump.), not much else.

dellenrules

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to let my battery drain to 10% to see how long it truly should last, but right now after 4h 43m 4s I'm at 30%. I was at church for the past few hours, so I didn't really use it quite that much. I used it to download an app so I can have my bible and scriptures on my phone (very nice :)) and I looked up a new part for my car while I was talking with someone about it (I'm pretty sure my dad broke my cam with too long of bolts on my oil pump.), not much else.

The things which drain your battery are:
Hotspot: This will kill your battery quickly. Very Quickly.
4G: If you don't need it, don't Use it. By turning it off your battery will last drastically longer
Wifi: If your not using it, it shouldn't be enabled. Turn it off.
Bluetooth: Not using turn it off. I will drain your battery.
Sync: I only use auto sync at night when charging. When this is enable it will drain your battery.
GPS: Turn sattilite GPS off when not in use.
Brightness: If you have brightness all the way up then your just plain stupid.

There is an app on the market called Extended Controls. I used it to create a widget similar to the Power Control widget with the added features mentioned above and Airplane Mode. I recommend it.

One thing i recommend is having your batter get down to 10%, then shutting it off and fully charging the battery.
One charge usually lasts me the entire day. Optimally, I got my bionic to last me 2 and a half days on one charge.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
4G: If you don't need it, don't Use it. By turning it off your battery will last drastically longer
Sync: I only use auto sync at night when charging. When this is enable it will drain your battery.

There is an app on the market called Extended Controls. I used it to create a widget similar to the Power Control widget with the added features mentioned above and Airplane Mode. I recommend it.

One thing i recommend is having your batter get down to 10%, then shutting it off and fully charging the battery.
One charge usually lasts me the entire day. Optimally, I got my bionic to last me 2 and a half days on one charge.
I actually do most of those things currently, but instead of just turning off the 4G radio when I'm not using it, I shut off all data when the screen is off. Wifi is always on when I'm at home, and the data radios stay off. I do keep 4G on when I have the data radios in use, but I switch to 3G if I'm getting poor 4G reception. I'm going to try the charging trick you said.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Another great app is Quick Profiles. You can use it to create sound profiles for different situations and adjust the volume of individual things like notifications, media, ringer, and alarm. You can also use it to control things like Bluetooth, Airplane Mode, and WiFi.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

If I must turn off every advanced feature of this phone just to make it last almost one day than maybe I should return it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If I must turn off every advanced feature of this phone just to make it last almost one day than maybe I should return it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You don't have to. I haven't done any of that and my phone lasts 12 hours easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
All I've done is turn off 4G and my battery is easily lasting 14+ hours.

Tomorrow I'm going to keep 3G on all day and see what happens. I'll keep the JuiceDefender on too, so it'll shut off my data radios when the screen is locked. Then maybe I can squeeze the battery life I want out of it. But I hate it when it's dead before lunch, a lot of that has to do with my school sucking at getting reception. If I don't get about 9 hours out of it tomorrow, I'm going to say it's defective and ask for another, there's no way that everyone else should be getting 9-14 hours or so on their battery and I get 6.
I got my phone down to 10% finally...it took a lot longer than I was expecting once I got the wifi on and the data radios off, I was surprised. I think it was about 7 hours or so, and I was on 4G for at least 4 of that. But I did charge it slightly when I plugged it into my computer to upload some photos real quick. I need to get a free app to transfer files between my PC and phone.
Also, I didn't want to type it in that last message, but since I'm on my computer now, the screen was doing that weird thing again where I'd be typing and it would type out a ton of different stuff. Like I'd be typing one thing and it'd freak out and since I'm using Swype it would type a lot more than what I was trying to type. If it keeps doing that, I'll just take the phone in for just that for a replacement, and then I also get a new phone to try out battery life better.

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Juice Defender Ultimate and I have been doing pretty well. Today I am at 14h and I have 32% left with moderate use. I chose the paid version because it allows you to customize the settings and it controls the Wi-Fi radio also. It does take about 10 seconds on average after I wake the phone for the data connection to be restored, but otherwise the app seems to be working well for me.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
In Denver on 4G. Got 10+ hours on moderate. I bought the extra battery and dock. This thing never sits or gets "plugged in.":p that 2700 extended battery should yield 24 hours. Maybe Verizon should consider slowing down the network to make are Bionics amazing? Nah, that would blow!

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Juice Defender Ultimate and I have been doing pretty well. Today I am at 14h and I have 32% left with moderate use. I chose the paid version because it allows you to customize the settings and it controls the Wi-Fi radio also. It does take about 10 seconds on average after I wake the phone for the data connection to be restored, but otherwise the app seems to be working well for me.

I love it so far, it saves a good amount of juice on the battery. I don't mind waiting about 5 seconds for it to reconnect to 4G or 3G, it's not a huge deal. By the time I type out something, it's already connected anyways. But what else are you doing to save battery? Are you on 3G all day? Turned GPS, bluetooth, etc. off? Because if you're at 14 hours, I should be close to that, and I'm not even close, you're getting twice the battery life I am.
Also, to save plenty of battery life, the widget to turn on or off the data radios is helpful as well, I usually keep them off if I'm say playing a game or playing music..stuff that doesn't need data. If I don't need data at the moment, just keep it all off.
I'm amazed though that it kept up my battery pretty well under a call. An hour call drained about 10% or so, and I was browsing the web over wifi during parts of it too.

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I love it so far, it saves a good amount of juice on the battery. I don't mind waiting about 5 seconds for it to reconnect to 4G or 3G, it's not a huge deal. By the time I type out something, it's already connected anyways. But what else are you doing to save battery? Are you on 3G all day? Turned GPS, bluetooth, etc. off? Because if you're at 14 hours, I should be close to that, and I'm not even close, you're getting twice the battery life I am.
Also, to save plenty of battery life, the widget to turn on or off the data radios is helpful as well, I usually keep them off if I'm say playing a game or playing music..stuff that doesn't need data. If I don't need data at the moment, just keep it all off.
I'm amazed though that it kept up my battery pretty well under a call. An hour call drained about 10% or so, and I was browsing the web over wifi during parts of it too.

I really have not changed any other settings besides what Juice Defender is doing. I do have the brightness on my display set all the way down and just toggle it up when I am outside. I do have the paid version of Juice Defender that has a lot of options to set. For example I can set schedules so that during the week it pings every 15min for email, updates, ect. but on weekends I can set it to 30 mins. It also completely disables the cellular data radios when I am on Wi-Fi. I am on 4G and have a pretty strong signal in the places I spend most of my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSun