Strange problems with Motorola G3 || SD card problems?

Speedemon

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
So a couple weeks ago I got a Motorola G3 as an early birthday gift. I also got an SD card a few days later that could hold 32 GB. Before my major issue happened I was having problems with directing games so they would be downloaded onto that SD card. They still get downloaded onto my internal storage so I have to move them myself over to the SD card which causes problems. Earlier today I chose the option to "Migrate Data" over to my SD card. At around 25% my phone crashed. I turned it back on an while booting up, it crashed. The second time I started it up, I got on to my phone without needing a password. The drop down screen at the top doesn't work, allowing me to only go to the Notifications part, which says "No Notifications" even when I know I have some. My phone also will crash randomly but rarely and I have no idea what is happening. Has anyone had this problem or can help?

TL;DR My phone crashed while moving data and now my password and drop down screen are ruined.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you format the card as Internal Storage or Portable Storage? If the former, it might be a problem with how Motorola has implemented Adoptable Storage. I've seen a few other posts about problems in this regard.

Speedemon

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for welcoming me! I have formatted the SD card as internal storage, but I don't know if that's the issue because it was working fine as internal storage before my problems.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Try this. Go to settings - users - switch to 'guest' and see if there's any change with the notifications. Switch back to 'owner' and check again. If nothing changes restart the phone and try again. Tell us how it goes.

Speedemon

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the horribly late reply, but I cannot find users in the settings. I can find accounts but that is only with my Google accounts.

A question though, do you think a factory reset would work? Should I take out my SD card and back up my data before doing it even if it is possibly corrupt?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset is always worth a try. If the card was formatted as Internal Storage, then I'm not sure if you can change it back to Portable Storage. If it's Internal Storage, the card is also encrypted, so that it can't be read by any device besides the phone that encrypted it.