Strange USB File Transfer Problem

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to copy files on my Nexus 7 (2013) to my PC prior to doing a factory reset on my Nexus 7. When I plug the Nexus 7 into my Windows 10 machine and I select Use USB for File Transfer (MTP) for the USB function, I can see my Nexus 7 on my Win10 computer. However, if I go into the Internal Storage and click on folders and look for files, i.e. I keep getting the message, "This Folder is Empty". The thing is, I know the folders are not empty.

If I use the file manager app that is installed on my Nexus 7 I can see all the files on my device. Pictures, documents, music files, etc. If I go back to my Win10 machine and look at these same folders, I get the message, "This Folder is Empty."

As if that isn't weird enough, if I copy a file from my Win10 machine to, say, my Pictures folder, I can then see that filename is on my Nexus 7 using either my Win10 File Manager or the File Manager installed on my Nexus 7.

I did some Googling and the most common response to USB file transfer problems is to make sure you have the proper MTP driver installed on your PC so it can read the Nexus 7 file structure. I've double checked that and I do have the correct MTP driver. Anyway, the fact that I can transfer files from my PC to my Nexus 7 and see them pretty much confirms I'm using the correct driver.

In summary, when my Nexus 7 is connected to my PC I can't see any files using my PC's File Manager, but I can see them using my device's file manager app. I can freely transfer files to/from the Nexus 7/PC and I can see these newly transferred files using my PC File Manager. But I can't see any files on my device using my PC to look for them.

What in the world is going on? How do I fix it so I can download files from my device to my PC?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I found a workaround. I select the files I want to backup before factory reset of my Nexus 7 by using the file manager in my device and "save as" each file to my Google Drive cloud account. Took about 10 minutes but it's done.

I'd still like to solve the problem with transferring files directly from my device to my PC hard drive.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I wonder if it has to do with compatibility issues due to the aging Nexus 7 hardware/firmware.

You already tried a different USB cable?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I wonder if it has to do with compatibility issues due to the aging Nexus 7 hardware/firmware.

You already tried a different USB cable?
I have not tried a different USB cable because I am able to send files from my PC to my Nexus. Once transferred I can see these files on my device using my PC, so I assume the USB cable is fine. Same cable also works on my Kindle.

I suppose I could try another cable just to be sure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Could it be that an update to the driver caused it to lose compatibility with older devices? Maybe you could try deleting the MTP device driver in the Windows Device Manager, and then reconnect the Nexus 7 via USB, which would then presumably force Windows to automatically search for and reinstall the needed driver.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Could it be that an update to the driver caused it to lose compatibility with older devices? Maybe you could try deleting the MTP device driver in the Windows Device Manager, and then reconnect the Nexus 7 via USB, which would then presumably force Windows to automatically search for and reinstall the needed driver.
Yeah, I did that in my first go around at trying to solve the problem. It didn't fix it.

I've since done a hard reset of the Nexus 7 to try to figure out why the new battery I installed is draining in 8 hours while the device is idling. Maybe this strange USB device to PC file problem will be solved by the reset.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I did that in my first go around at trying to solve the problem. It didn't fix it.

I've since done a hard reset of the Nexus 7 to try to figure out why the new battery I installed is draining in 8 hours while the device is idling. Maybe this strange USB device to PC file problem will be solved by the reset.

After the hard reset, I had to setup the tablet from scratch. Log in to my Google account and set that up. Next I added in a handful of apps and checked battery drain. Several hours later I added in some more. I moved some files that I had previously backed up to Google Drive onto the tablet. I also installed a different icon pack and wallpapers. Eventually, I had restored about 75% of my previous apps and the battery is working excellently.

Now when I connect the Nexus 7 (2013) to my Windows 10 PC I can see the files within the folders. I can transfer files between devices. All appears to be back to normal.

My advice to anyone that has a Nexus 7 that is draining battery or is sluggish to do a hard reset and start over. It's like getting a (almost) new tablet.