strange wifi issues

Capt.Cha

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
so im using the current version of bonsai and im having a really frustrating problem (not saying its necessarily bonsai's fault, just mentioned it for accuracy's sake). but whenever i try to turn my wifi, the wifi button doesnt turn green and underneath it, it says on. then in my notifications, its giving me the "wifi off. wifi not connected. select to turn wifi off" message but then i click it and my screen flashes a little bubble that says "turning wifi on..." and then it doesnt do anything. it takes a little while, sometimes 10 or more minutes, but i do eventually connect, but this is when i am literally on top of my router. so i was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have experienced this and/or know what to do about it. thanks very much

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
probably time to re-flash Bonsai. I like Froyo better than 2.1, but I have found that I have to re-flash the ROM about every 2 weeks, or it builds up hiccups like that. So far I have used Quantum, Truly Epic Rebirth 1.2, Bonsai 2 and 2.0.0.1, and now back to TrulyEpic Rebirth 1.5, which I doubt will be much better.

I also had a lot of random Bluetooth drops with Bonsai, and every Froyo ROM I have tried so far. Nicer to use than 2.1, but not as reliable.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
so im using the current version of bonsai and im having a really frustrating problem (not saying its necessarily bonsai's fault, just mentioned it for accuracy's sake). but whenever i try to turn my wifi, the wifi button doesnt turn green and underneath it, it says on. then in my notifications, its giving me the "wifi off. wifi not connected. select to turn wifi off" message but then i click it and my screen flashes a little bubble that says "turning wifi on..." and then it doesnt do anything. it takes a little while, sometimes 10 or more minutes, but i do eventually connect, but this is when i am literally on top of my router. so i was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have experienced this and/or know what to do about it. thanks very much

Just out of curiosity, have you tried actually going to Settings>Wireless and Network>Wi-Fi Settings? Sometimes, this happens to me where the green button on the notification drop-down isn't lit, yet it says on. And tapping it does nothing for my Wi-Fi connection. I find that simply navigating to Wi-Fi settings, then tapping the check mark to turn it off, then on again helps.

mjbelknap

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
wifi disconnects on sleep

Just out of curiosity, have you tried actually going to Settings>Wireless and Network>Wi-Fi Settings? Sometimes, this happens to me where the green button on the notification drop-down isn't lit, yet it says on. And tapping it does nothing for my Wi-Fi connection. I find that simply navigating to Wi-Fi settings, then tapping the check mark to turn it off, then on again helps.

Yes, but that shouldn't be necessary. I was going to start a new thread with this issue, good thing I found one already started. It looks like this issue has been discussed throughout many threads with no firm resolve yet. Hopefully bringing this back to the top will catch someones attention who has found a fix.

I'm running ACE ROM and Genocide x.03, but this seems to not be ROM related. It appears to be a general problem. I also use the power control widget and Juice Defender.

Symptoms: Only recently have I noticed that wifi will disconnect on sleep. I noticed while trying to run Pandora (on the white list in JD) the other night. It was connected to a power source and charging. When trying to wake the phone it became extremely laggy. No joke, it took a minute to wake up. From there I tried toggling the Wifi gui in the notification bar. It was very unresponsive if anything. I tried toggling the Power Control widget wifi icon to which it only gave me the dim green bar beneath the icon. I finally went into phone settings and found that under my wifi connection there was an error. I tapped that, it turned the wifi off, tapped it again and the connection was made almost instantly.

I thought life was good again and that I was experiencing a random fluke, until it happened again after the phone went to sleep. This time I spent around 5 minutes messing with it until deciding I was too tired to put any more thought into it.

So far I've seen people claiming periodic fixes by updating PRL, downloading this app or that, blah blah blah, but I haven't seen anyone come up with a substantiated fix. Unfortunately, I don't have an open wifi network at my disposal, so anything I try will have to be tonight. Just hoping that someone already figured this out and can point me in the proper direction so as to not waste an entire night. Thanks all!

Reactions: arhoolie

arhoolie

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I, too, have noticed wifi disconnects which seem to be related to my EPIC going into sleep mode. I'm running a stock EPIC 4G, no custom ROMs, no root, nothing.

If I disable/re-enable wifi, it's fine, for a while. This happens several times during the course of an evening. Frustrating, to say the least.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Reset your router. Unplug the router, wait 15 minutes and plug it back in. This fixes the problem you are describing on my fascinate every time.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

mjbelknap

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I could see that as a viable solution if my devices were having problems connecting, but alas, they are not. Let's try again...

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I simply was sharing how I fix the same issue Capt. Cha was describing. Mine will connect but not allow data flow. You don't have anything to lose trying a router reboot. Ok, I'm done. Bye.