Stuck on the Registering Device

jamesosully

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm still relatively new to the rooting thing. I've managed to root my Epic and my gf's Hero with few issues. I got my NC on Sunday and by Sunday night had it rooted with no problems. I started playing around with the different versions of Android (Nookie and Honeycomb) and started having issues when I booted into CWM and couldn't get out. I downloaded a .zip from the XDA forums that managed to get me out of that. However, once I finished the booting up process, everything seemed to be working fine, except my Google account would not load. I had a good internet connection, verified by getting on the web via the device. So, I did the reboot 8x to try and get it back to stock. Now I'm left freaking out. It goes through the set-up and stays on the Registering Device screen. I had it on all night last night and just had the circle.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I'm stuck at work, but I'm going to try everything I can when I get home to try and get this sucker back to stock and start the whole process over again.

Thanks all!

Rerun

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you're running the nookie version of Droid, complete the following to register:

1.) Create a youtube account and link it to your gmail.
2.) Log into the youtube app on your nook using your full gmail address and password. NOTE: DO NOT USE YOUR youtube password or username. Only the gmail credentials will work.
3.) Go to the gmail application on your nook, press the menu icon (the icon with three horizontal lines next to the half circle).
4.) Select "refresh"
5.) Go back to youtube and log out. If you don't follow this last step, youtube will crash each time you open it.

Now, you should be all set with full access to gmail and google services.

jamesosully

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Right now the machine should be completely stock since I interrupted the reboot 8x. It is getting stuck on the point of the set-up where it tries to register the Nook to B&N. All I get is a revolving circle. I can't get past that to even look at books or anything else for that matter.

Rerun

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Did you wipe system and data before reverting back to stock? If not, go back into CWR and do so under "mounts." Now, insert an sd card with the stock .zip and select install from sd card. Reboot and you should be back to stock and able to register.

jamesosully

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
When I had the issue of CWM rebooting into itself, I know for sure I wiped the data and the cache, not sure if I did the system. At that point I used that .zip to remove CWM since I could not get the Nook to completely boot up. Would you suggest I boot up CWM from an SD card? And just to confirm, I will have to re-root, correct?

Rerun

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Correct. Boot CWR from the SD. Under "mounts", wipe "system" and "data." Now, install the stock zip and you should be ready to go.

Rerun

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
And yes, you will have to reroot, but first you'll install the stock zip, register with B&N, update to 1.1 and then install the autonooter.

ddigby

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking this is a Google issue. There are multiple people reporting similar issues.

I was unable to re-authenticate my account after clearing google services framework data to change my build fingerprint. I did something else at the time which I thought might have been the cause of the issue so I reflashed from scratch and the issue persists.

ddigby

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I changed DNS servers in my build.prop on the off chance that the auth servers had been relocated and google hadn't updated dns info on their own servers... unsurprisingly that did nothing.

I also checked my phone. It doesn't appear to be having any problems adding/authenticating new google accounts.

Not sure where to go from here. I have an sd card image I made the other night when I got everything set up the way I thought I wanted it. I am going to try writing that and see what happens.

Rerun

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If you're already rooted and can't access g services, try the youtube workaround I suggested in my first post within this thread. I just resolved this issue for a coworker using that method.

ddigby

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm back in business! Thanks everyone for your help. Thank goodness that's over because I've spent the entire day obsessing over it!

Me too, I thought I'd somehow mystically hosed something and couldn't track down what. I went out for a beer and came back and now it's working.

I am guessing it resolved itself for you as well?

jamesosully

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Me too, I thought I'd somehow mystically hosed something and couldn't track down what. I went out for a beer and came back and now it's working.

I am guessing it resolved itself for you as well?

Yeah, pretty much. Once I returned everything to stock and re-rooted, everything is working like a charm.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trickycactus