Successful Bluetooth Audio Connection

cliffh44

Banned
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2011 SRX and a HTC Thunderbolt.

I've had the phone paired via bluetooth with the car for quite some time even though I have to decline the phonebook connection each time it connects. No big deal.

What I had been trying to do is use the USB connection in the center console to play music from my Thunderbolt in the same manner as an iPod. I noticed each time I pressed the AUX button and my phone connected a message would pop up saying no compatible file formats were found. A subsequent message would then say I could now disconnect my device. (I still believe this will work but think there's an issue with the directory structure on the SD card.)

Instead of disconnecting the device, I pressed the config button and was presented with another screen asking if I wanted to pair a bluetooth device. I went through the prompts, selecting the option to pair a bluetooth audio device.

I then had to put my Thunderbolt into search mode looking for GMusicConnect.
After the pairing to GMusicConnect was completed, I had access to the music files stored on my phone through the new additional bluetooth connection.

I have to manually start the music app on my phone but once it's started playback, I can then change songs using the controls on the steering wheel.

Using the aux audio input works as well but I didn't want to have 2 cables connected to the phone (charge, aux).

Hopes this helps someone.

Reactions: FrankXS

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
A few things:

1) BT audio sound quality isn't nearly as good as USB
2) My car gets oodles of extra functionality if you pipe music in via USB (Ford Sync lets you say things like "Play Artist Bare Naked Ladies" or "Play Track Another One Bites the Dust" and it will search my phone for the proper track or artist to play).
3) Plugging in to USB also charges phone (albeit not as quickly)

I too never got it to work exactly as I wanted, and ended up getting a micro SD card reader / USB key combo and loading my music onto that. I actually like this way better as I just keep it plugged in all the time.

Also, there's a workaround for the phonebook pairing bug. I've gone four months and my BT connection still automatically re-enables every time I get in my car (and I paired my phonebook up front).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...onnection-problem-thunderbolt.html#post928902

Last edited:

cliffh44

Banned
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
A few things:

1) BT audio sound quality isn't nearly as good as USB
2) My car gets oodles of extra functionality if you pipe music in via USB (Ford Sync lets you say things like "Play Artist Bare Naked Ladies" or "Play Track Another One Bites the Dust" and it will search my phone for the proper track or artist to play).
3) Plugging in to USB also charges phone (albeit not as quickly)

I too never got it to work exactly as I wanted, and ended up getting a micro SD card reader / USB key combo and loading my music onto that. I actually like this way better as I just keep it plugged in all the time.

Also, there's a workaround for the phonebook pairing bug. I've gone four months and my BT connection still automatically re-enables every time I get in my car (and I paired my phonebook up front).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...onnection-problem-thunderbolt.html#post928902
I've read your post about the phonebook connection.

Unfortunately, if doesn't work for me. I don't even use FB or the Friend Stream and still run into the same problem with the phone book.

I've not given up on the USB connection.
The reason I settled for the Bluetooth connection for now is so I can use the steering wheel controls and not have to continually pick up the phone to change tracks.

The BT audio quality, while it may not be as good as USB, it's not bad at all especially since USB isn't working at all at this point.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever tried an app called bluetooth file transfer? I used to use it to pair the phonebook with my Garmin navigator. Phone wouldn't send phonebook any other way I could find. I use the headphone jack to connect to console for music but you can send music files through bt as well.

cliffh44

Banned
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually no, I haven't tried bluetooth file transfer. never heard of it before but thanks for the tip.

I initially connected my phone using the headphone jack but didn't like the fact that I would have 2 cables going to it if the need arose to charge while driving.

Truthfully, I see no reason I should not be able to use the USB port, but I checked the owners manual and it states some devices are not recognized as playable devices.

I also checked the SRX compatible file formats (FAT 16 /32) so obviously that's not the issue. The manual does state there is a limit on the maximum number of top level folders and sub-folders.

My plan is to buy another SD card and put my music files on it without anything else to see if that works. If not, I'll follow the same directory structure as found on an iPod and see what happens with that.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'll be curious to see what happens.

Bluetooth file transfer is free and I've used it since days of og droid. Why not try it b4 spending money?