Super disappointed in battery charging

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why this test is such a drain but I am very sad to have to return this brand new developer edition HTC one.

Situation:
In a car with the screen on using google maps navigation. At the same time I'm playing a podcast through bluetooth. Phone is plugged in and says charging.

Problem:
The battery slowly drains, despite the battery charging indication. After an hour of half of driving and starting out with a full battery I ended at 79%. After spending several hours on site with a couple short calls and driving back the battery was at 50%, despite being plugged in and charging almost all day.

Phones I've had that have no problem doing this and end up with 100% charge: Galaxy Note 1 and 2, iPhone 3gs, 4 and 4s. On the other side of the coin both Galaxy Nexus handsets that I've owned had the same problem. Before anyone cries foul and says my cable or adapter is bad, keep in mind both work fine on my Galaxy Note 2 with its huge screen on in the same situation.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The One's screen is a lot brighter and also has twice as many pixels as the Galaxy Note 2 (as well as every other phone you listed) despite being smaller physically smaller, so that isn't a valid comparison. More pixels = more transistors which means higher power consumption.

The phone charges slowly compared to most phones in order to preserve the overall life of the non-serviceable battery, so it won't keep up with all that you want to run simultaneously.

If you use navigation a lot and want to keep the screen on, this isn't the phone for you.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Respectfully I disagree, I think it's pretty important for a mobile phone to at worst maintain it's charge state while doing things when plugged in. I could completely understand if the charging rate was drug down to very slow or a stand still while the phone was in use, but ending up with a dead battery while the phone said it is charging is a real problem.

I really did want to love the phone, the hardware and screen are fantastic.

Last edited:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Respectfully I disagree, I think it's pretty important for a mobile phone to at worst maintain it's charge state while doing things when plugged in. I could completely understand if the charging rate was drug down to very slow or a stand still while the phone was in use, but ending up with a dead battery while the phone said it is charging is a real problem.

I really did want to love the phone, the hardware and screen are fantastic.

Disagree with me about what?

I said the One charges too slowly to keep up with what you're trying to do with it.

If it's important to you, you'll have to get a different phone...

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Disagree with me about what?

I said the One charges too slowly to keep up with what you're trying to do with it.

If it's important to you, you'll have to get a different phone...

It isn't charging slowly, or at all. It's actively discharging and not keeping up while plugged in.

I have the RMA to the HTC store already, once I found where to do it the process was quick and approval was instant.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It isn't charging slowly, or at all. It's actively discharging and not keeping up while plugged in.

I have the RMA to the HTC store already, once I found where to do it the process was quick and approval was instant.

Um, that's what I said...

The phone doesn't charge fast enough to keep up with what you're doing. Therefore it's still losing charge as you go. So with that type of use you will always have less charge than when you started.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
1. The term charging implies that a battery will end up with more power in it. This isn't what the phone is doing so it needs to display not charging or some other term that isn't misleading. This is going to lead to unexpected behavior.

2. My main argument / gripe here is that situations like this shouldn't even exist unless the power source is inadequate and outside of the phones control. IMO this is a defective design to even allow this to happen. I might be persuaded to let the situation slide if I was doing something really processor intensive but really it is just ticking along.

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
2. My main argument / gripe here is that situations like this shouldn't even exist unless the power source is inadequate and outside of the phones control. IMO this is a defective design to even allow this to happen. I might be persuaded to let the situation slide if I was doing something really processor intensive but really it is just ticking along.

I'm inclined to agree with you here, especially if all you're doing is using navigation and streaming music. I'm currently between the One, MAXX, and X on Verizon when I decide to upgrade from my GNex. Hearing this makes me a little more wary on the One. If I go on a trip that takes several hours, it would be terrible to lose over 1/4 of a full charge while being plugged in.

I can understand wanting to prolong the life of a non-removable battery, but a phone charger should be able to handle navigation without losing juice.

I'm wondering if everyone's One is the same or if yours has something wacky going on.

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually using your gps is an intensive task on your phone. Also, technically your phone is still charging so it isn't misleading. If you didn't have it plugged in it would of died quicker. The thing is like the other person said is that you are using more power than what the charging is putting back into your phone. It is the way the htc set it up to charge. Usually phones have two stage charging sessions. First is the fast charge and that is when it charges it for 0 to 80 percent in about a hour. Then the trickle charge which it takes about another hour to charge the last 20 percent. With this phone to preserve the battery life, since it is embedded in the phone, has one state and that is the trickle charge.

Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This is due to quick charge being disabled. The galaxy phones have it on so it allows for a way faster charge... The HTC One sadly has it disabled so if you are using heavy apps it can sometimes outweigh the charge it's getting.

I have heard of some people getting stronger chargers and it seemed to help.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
1. The term charging implies that a battery will end up with more power in it. This isn't what the phone is doing so it needs to display not charging or some other term that isn't misleading. This is going to lead to unexpected behavior.

The term charging does not imply what you said. It means that juice is flowing into the battery. It does not also exclude the possibility that your usage may be concurrently discharging the phone even faster.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The term charging does not imply what you said. It means that juice is flowing into the battery. It does not also exclude the possibility that your usage may be concurrently discharging the phone even faster.

EXACTLY! That's all that is going on here. To the OP, I would recommend installing a decent battery app so you can actually see the current draw of your device, but since you're returning it there is no point. For others out there with similar concerns, this is a good way to see what's really happening with your battery. Especially if you feel like it's charging slowly. And it's been mentioned earlier but there are higher current chargers for a car.

Posted via Android Central App

ccrooks

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If screen brightness is an issue, using car mode might help, since it drops the brightness of the screen way down (without turning it off) while you aren't touching the phone

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

And that would be described as a net "discharging", not charging. Total negative current flow out of the battery. Two plus negative three equals negative one sort of situation.

The thing is it is perfectly possible to design a power supply circuit that won't over charge the battery but WILL supply enough power to the phone itself. This must be the area where they decided to cut costs though.

If your on a long trip you don't need to keep your GPS on the whole time!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

I did turn the screen off for as much as I thought I could on the highway. But much of my trips are back roads and I'm not at all familiar with the area yet, so I really need it on and I had it on for almost all of this trip. If I hadn't turned the screen off it would have been much worse I think. This will get better eventually as I learn the area, but having a GPS on takes so much stress out of the trip.

If screen brightness is an issue, using car mode might help, since it drops the brightness of the screen way down (without turning it off) while you aren't touching the phone

This is an excellent point! On my Note 2 google navigation even does this for you automatically, or perhaps it's part of the Samsung customization that does it. It dims the display a bit and comes back up to full bright when it has something to say. For reasons unknown to me the HTC phone didn't do that that I noticed. I also wouldn't be happy having to dig in settings every time to do this either.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
It depends on ur charger. Is it one made for the phone or a different brand. If its not rated it wont charge well when ur running all the radios in the phone at once.

from what ever phone I feel like using today

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with descriptive phrase net discharging. I just don't think the word charging by itself automatically implies the word net.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Max you should of just tried a different charger.. As said previously it helped resolve this exact issue of GPS navigation and drain for some.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
It depends on ur charger. Is it one made for the phone or a different brand. If its not rated it wont charge well when ur running all the radios in the phone at once.

from what ever phone I feel like using today

Max you should of just tried a different charger.. As said previously it helped resolve this exact issue of GPS navigation and drain for some.

Go ahead and prove me wrong, I've already returned my HTC One. To duplicate this I was using google navigation, Dogcatcher podcast player playing through the Presto speed changer plugin. Audio was going out via Bluetooth and screen auto brightness was enabled. Neither the HTC One nor the Galaxy nexus can do this without ending up with a dead battery eventually. I know the nexus devices have hardware compromises to reach their price point, just wasn't expecting this with a flagship HTC One.

With my same power supply and cable the Note 1 and Note 2 work fine and keep the battery topped up. Before switching to android I never experienced this type of problem with any of the iPhones I've owned. I have no place in my life for a slow charging phone or one that sometimes doesn't charge, especially if it's going to have a small battery like the HTC One.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Go ahead and prove me wrong, I've already returned my HTC One. To duplicate this I was using google navigation, Dogcatcher podcast player playing through the Presto speed changer plugin. Audio was going out via Bluetooth and screen auto brightness was enabled. Neither the HTC One nor the Galaxy nexus can do this without ending up with a dead battery eventually. I know the nexus devices have hardware compromises to reach their price point, just wasn't expecting this with a flagship HTC One.

With my same power supply and cable the Note 1 and Note 2 work fine and keep the battery topped up. Before switching to android I never experienced this type of problem with any of the iPhones I've owned. I have no place in my life for a slow charging phone or one that sometimes doesn't charge, especially if it's going to have a small battery like the HTC One.

Please read the entire thread before commenting. I don't have to prove you wrong when it's been done... In this forum.

Also again as said in the thread... The Galaxy phones have quick charge enabled so of course your Note 1 and 2 charge fast with the default charger... If you are unsure what quick charge is just Google it real quick. No reason for you to sit here and act like we are lying.. It doesn't benefit me at all to lie to you on why this is happening... I'm simply just trying to tell you the answer to your question on why this issue is occurring.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoDo1975