Swapping Rooted Phone

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
My husband's Epic is rooted and running Midnight Rom 3.1 and loving it, but thinking of trading for an Evo (yes the other side).

To switch phone numbers on Sprint, meaning activate it on another line, does it have to go back to stock?

I remember having a problem with daughter's HTC Hero, I had activated on my line, rooted, and checked it was all okay, but couldn't get Sprint to recognize it to activate it. So I took it back to stock and then it transferred fine and just re=rooted.

Therefore, don't know if it is Sprint, the root, or the phone. Anyone have any feedback? The other person wants it rooted so would rather not revert unless I have to.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My husband's Epic is rooted and running Midnight Rom 3.1 and loving it, but thinking of trading for an Evo (yes the other side).

To switch phone numbers on Sprint, meaning activate it on another line, does it have to go back to stock?

I remember having a problem with daughter's HTC Hero, I had activated on my line, rooted, and checked it was all okay, but couldn't get Sprint to recognize it to activate it. So I took it back to stock and then it transferred fine and just re=rooted.

Therefore, don't know if it is Sprint, the root, or the phone. Anyone have any feedback? The other person wants it rooted so would rather not revert unless I have to.

I would Odin back to stock then root/EXT4&CWM3/midNIGHT 3.1.

You talking about 5 minutes to Odin back to stock, then what about 20 minutes to get it DK28 Froyo/rooted and back up to functioning midNIGHT 3.1. Save yourself the headaches and spend the 30 minutes or less..

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping not to have to go through that just to get it back to where it was for his friend, then probably have to figure out how to put the new rom on when it comes in.

I've been rooted so long, I will have to go back and read the step by step directions like a noob;)

If anyone else successfuly got a rooted phone to activate on a line, let me know, otherwise I figured this was the answer.

Just patiently waiting for our wonderful chefs to come up with new shiny roms . .

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
When you flash back to stock... Before you do actually... Make sure to back up in cwm. save u some time after you flash back.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Wait, you can swap phone numbers on to different phones! Then when the rest of my family gets the Epic 2 or evo 2 or something (as long as it's dual core), I can switch with them for my Epic :O (preferrably my mom cuz she barely knows how to work the phone, even less, the text messaging).

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I do that a lot - stuck on contract, want different phone. You can buy
one elsewhere, friend, family, Ebay, or Craigs List and activate on your line with ESN number.
I even sell my "older" new phones when updating.

Just be careful - be sure to check the ESN number with Sprint. Most sellers
are honest, but you need to be sure its clean and clear = meaning they didn't
drop service, not pay bill, do something to get it blacklisted. If they do that,
you are stuck.