Swimming in the ocean

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
We are going to the Dominican Republic in June and I'm wondering if it is safe to wear my Watch 5 while in the ocean. Otherwise I will have to bring my heavy Analog Invicta watch with me and wear it. Maybe I will look into buying another Invicta watch. They usually have pretty good deals on them on their website. I know there's a water setting that will disable the screen and always on display on the Watch 5.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Having used all of my IP-rated smartwatches in pools and ocean, I can attest to them being OK in there. HOWEVER, like the above comment states, salt water CAN lead to corrosion, so remember to rinse your watch after a dip in the ocean. Another thing to consider is the sand on the beach (it can scratch the glass/body if you're not careful, especially when drying up and inadvertently dragging a sharp grain of sand all over the screen). This is true for any watch, though, but granted, the 'Pro' version has materials that are less prone to that than the regular model or other 'rugged' watches.

Reactions: tony bag o donuts

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Having used all of my IP-rated smartwatches in pools and ocean, I can attest to them being OK in there. HOWEVER, like the above comment states, salt water CAN lead to corrosion, so remember to rinse your watch after a dip in the ocean. Another thing to consider is the sand on the beach (it can scratch the glass/body if you're not careful, especially when drying up and inadvertently dragging a sharp grain of sand all over the screen). This is true for any watch, though, but granted, the 'Pro' version has materials that are less prone to that than the regular model or other 'rugged' watches.
Thanks for that heads up. Maybe I'll look for a cheap screen protector to use on it so the sand doesn't scratch it. Or I won't even wear it or take it with me at all and just wear my other watch.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
We are going to the Dominican Republic in June and I'm wondering if it is safe to wear my Watch 5 while in the ocean. Otherwise I will have to bring my heavy Analog Invicta watch with me and wear it. Maybe I will look into buying another Invicta watch. They usually have pretty good deals on them on their website. I know there's a water setting that will disable the screen and always on display on the Watch 5.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro
Samsung always says water resistant in fresh water. If it were me I would take the watch off in any pool of water.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that heads up. Maybe I'll look for a cheap screen protector to use on it so the sand doesn't scratch it. Or I won't even wear it or take it with me at all and just wear my other watch.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro

Spigen sells a protector that covers the entire watch (screen and body) and is easily clipped on/off. The watch is not that frail on its own, however... I've taken mine sans protector several times to the beach (live in SD) and the only tiny scratch to the paint I have is not from there but from bumping my wrist on my car door. OUCH. Just remember to rinse it off after the ocean and you're good.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Remember the watch is not guaranteed against water damage so not using it or using a least expensive watch is the better idea.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

You're right about sand. I didn't even think of that and I shield my phones from sand when we go to my family's cottage in the summer.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I live in Florida. I don't do the beaches with my smartwatches (I've owned more than one Gear S3, a Galaxy Watch 3 and now a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro), but I don't hesitate to take them to the water park. I'll wear them in the lazy river and wave pool all day. Water slides are fairly in and out. Never an issue and I keep the watches for years. Like others, my concern would be sand. It gets every-freaking-where

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey there... have fun!
I have had many iterations of galaxy watches. Have a salt water pool and swim.... the watch has shown NO sign of problems, since I rinse with fresh water afterward and use the waterlock.
Be aware, swimming is a battery killer AND beach sand, Sun, aren't friendly to ANY devices.
Good luck.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I live in Florida. I don't do the beaches with my smartwatches (I've owned more than one Gear S3, a Galaxy Watch 3 and now a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro), but I don't hesitate to take them to the water park. I'll wear them in the lazy river and wave pool all day. Water slides are fairly in and out. Never an issue and I keep the watches for years. Like others, my concern would be sand. It gets every-freaking-where
Sand is such a nuisance!

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Stay away from water on your watch it's not warranted for water damage all thought they say you can use it under water.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
We just got back from our vacation and I wish I would have taken my Galaxy watch 5 with me. I saw plenty of people using smart watches. Mostly Apple watches even swimming in pools. I only went in the ocean twice while we were there and I definitely would have removed it then. I found myself wanting to check my wrist for notifications quite often.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
We just got back from our vacation and I wish I would have taken my Galaxy watch 5 with me. I saw plenty of people using smart watches. Mostly Apple watches even swimming in pools. I only went in the ocean twice while we were there and I definitely would have removed it then. I found myself wanting to check my wrist for notifications quite often.
You will just need to go back and use a smartwatch :).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just remember, water and radio signals do not mix well. You may be able to use your watch and have its OS and sensors work, but any BT/WiFi/LTE signals will die with very little immersion into the water... So getting notifications is not something you'll experience while in the water unless both phone and watch are above water and within range of each other (or good signal if it's an LTE model).

mb7b64

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
I've been using my Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 for a few weeks now, especially during my beach trips. The water resistance feature has been quite impressive, and I haven't experienced any issues after swimming in the ocean with it on. It's great not having to worry about taking it off every time I want to take a dip. However, always remember that while it's water-resistant, it's still crucial to rinse it with fresh water after exposure to salt water. The salt can be abrasive and might damage the watch's finish over time. In fact, during my last trip to Dubai, I combined my love for water sports with my trusty watch. While looking for some ocean activities, I discovered https://yeprent.com/, a platform offering various water adventures. It was reassuring knowing my watch could handle the splashes while I was wakeboarding. Plus, having my Galaxy Watch track my movements and health metrics added an extra layer of fun to the experience. If you're a water sports enthusiast with a techy side, it's a combo I highly recommend!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy