Question Swipe algorithm

sbtcabman

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Has anyone noticed a degradation to the swipe algorithm on Google Pixel phones? More often than not it is so far off base and can't remember/access/giveashite about the personal dictionary. It is so annoying that my phone has more frequent flyer miles than I do. I am convinced these devices truly are the Spawn of Satan. Any remedies? Or just put up with it and know that A.I. will eventually kill us all. And yes, I'm a Geezer with less and less patience. And no, I won't/can't learn double thumbs with my big mitts (I corrected it to mitts when it inserted nuts which just ain't right in so many ways)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I haven't noticed any degradation myself -- if anything, the word prediction has gotten somewhat better over the years when gesture typing.

What language is your Gboard set to? I'm assuming it's English, but for which country/region? Your typing "giveashite" makes me think you're from the UK or thereabouts, so if the language is set to English (US) instead of English (UK), I wonder if that might have some impact.

sbtcabman

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I haven't noticed any degradation myself -- if anything, the word prediction has gotten somewhat better over the years when gesture typing.

What language is your Gboard set to? I'm assuming it's English, but for which country/region? Your typing "giveashite" makes me think you're from the UK or thereabouts, so if the language is set to English (US) instead of English (UK), I wonder if that might have some impact.
Hi B! Nope I'm a limey by heritage but just a n East coast rat from CT. I've always loved the twist the gentrified English lads added to make **** more palatable, so to speak. So it is set to correct language and region. I'm just thinking it's my electromagnetic field. Or my tin foil hat. Or it doesn't like me. I can sometimes get Gmail to type backwards without a clue how. My geek buddy leans towards the e-field thingy. I mean really, stuff appears that has no positional relation to what I swipe. Just another mystery. Or aliens. Or my other buddy says the Chinese control everything. I have a 5a. My Pixel 4 was great. This has been crappy since I got it and getting worser.

sbtcabman

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Which pixel do you have?
You using a screen protector?
Hey Stang! Thanks for the welcome!! It's a 5a I bought directly from Google two days before they announced the 6 and marked the price of mine down $200. No screen protector. Ok, confession time. I keep refusing to upgrade to whatever. That involves a new learning curve and I'll go off road and crash. Turn the screen sensitivity down is my next stab in the dark.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey Stang! Thanks for the welcome!! It's a 5a I bought directly from Google two days before they announced the 6 and marked the price of mine down $200. No screen protector. Ok, confession time. I keep refusing to upgrade to whatever. That involves a new learning curve and I'll go off road and crash. Turn the screen sensitivity down is my next stab in the dark.
Hi , ok so let's try in safe mode just in case a 3rd party app is responsible for this

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed a degradation to the swipe algorithm on Google Pixel phones? More often than not it is so far off base and can't remember/access/giveashite about the personal dictionary. It is so annoying that my phone has more frequent flyer miles than I do. I am convinced these devices truly are the Spawn of Satan. Any remedies? Or just put up with it and know that A.I. will eventually kill us all. And yes, I'm a Geezer with less and less patience. And no, I won't/can't learn double thumbs with my big mitts (I corrected it to mitts when it inserted nuts which just ain't right in so many ways)
Yes. Get a Samsung ! 🤐
~ I'm just thinking it's my electromagnetic field. Or my tin foil hat. Or it doesn't like me. ~ I mean really, stuff appears that has no positional relation to what I swipe. Just another mystery. Or aliens.
Have to admit that I've wondered the exact same thing from time to time. 😉

Though truth be swyped, when we recently set-up a family member with a Pixel 7, briefly for a week, before returning it, I don't recall if the Pixel swyping was less accurate or not. 🤔

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
Ah, the woes of the swipe algorithm! It can be a bit finicky, can't it? Have you tried resetting the keyboard's personal dictionary? Sometimes giving it a fresh start can do wonders. As for the AI apocalypse, fingers crossed it's still a while away! Hang in there, Geezer!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is just Pixels. It may be me, which case it maybe you in your scenario, but I noticed several months ago or maybe even a year ago that things suddenly took a turn for the worse. I constantly struggle with "the" it turns to "three" nearly every time and that doesn't even touch the other random "corrections" it makes. Until posting this here I've been hesitant to try another keyboard because I've heard so many mentions of what crap Samsung's offering is and how G-Board is supposed to be so much better. Honestly, I haven't found one better than the original Swype. Oh, and if any of you try to tell me how MS bought them and Swiftkey is the same thing, I have a big pile of dirt you can eat.

While I am sometimes amazed that it gets some of my wild lefthanded eyes crossed swipes correct, I'm equally as floored when I swipe the same word 3 or 4 times slower and slower with more accuracy and instead of giving you other possibilities, like the word you might actually want, it keeps giving you the same 3 words that you don't want.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bendytoy