Switch from Moto X to Xperia Z3?

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to Android and bought a Moto X (2nd Gen) a few months ago. I love Android, and the Moto X, for the most part. Pros: Moto voice controls, reading me texts when I'm driving, etc.; Cons: battery and camera.

I was wondering if anyone else made the same switch (Moto X (2nd Gen) to Sony Xperia Z3) at some point, and if so, what's the verdict? I know I'll like the camera and battery better, but what worries me is that I'll miss those Motorola features more than I realize.

Thanks in advance...

Jonathan Lin1

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I started with moto x; used it for like 4-5 days and returned it for the z3. The only thing I regret is not getting lollipop right away, which is kinda big to me. I wish I got a nexus 6, but it was too big for me.

The biggest factor for me was moto x battery life sucked.. I had to charge it at least once in the middle of the day. With the xperia z3 I just charge it nightly. I have 12+ synced accounts and don't have to use any battery saving app. Camera was also better on xperia z3.

If you really want pure android, then nexus 6, GPE, or moto x are your options. I'm using the google play launcher on my z3, to try and simulate the pure android experience, and it does a decent job.

The battery life was the big key decider for me. Also, I hated the design of the moto x, the curved back, made it very difficult to text or use phone while setting it on the table. You probably could get a case that prevents that, but I like bumper cases, so that didn't help.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
If battery life and camera are of big concern to you it may be worth switching over as the Z3 has a good camera and good battery life.

You may miss some of the Motorola additions, depending on how much you used them but a few of those features may be found on the Z3 as we'll.

The OK Google hotword works, however sadly it won't work when the screen is off. Some of rest of Motorola's additions can be added through Play Store applications, but they won't be as good as the real thing.

Anyways, do read this:

http://beta.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-z3-1263309/review#article-body

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Re that techradar article, the author really goes on about the card and USB covers protruding. Mine doesn't AT ALL. They're both completely flush. Not that it matters once you put a case on. Also I LIKE the magnetic charger--I use a magnetic cable not the stand but the convenience of not having to constantly open and close the USB cover more than cancels the presence of the port.

So far the only negatives I've encountered is low notification volume (which can be helped by running tones thru a PC to normalize and amplify the mp3 volume) and an area of slight pink tint in the center of low light closeup photos. Hopefully both will be fixed with a firmware update.

techaddict2

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I came from the 2013. Moto x and i never look back the Sony is a really flagship device camera battery screen etc Great! I gave up the moto notification but it worth it

techaddict2

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Re that techradar article, the author really goes on about the card and USB covers protruding. Mine doesn't AT ALL. They're both completely flush. Not that it matters once you put a case on. Also I LIKE the magnetic charger--I use a magnetic cable not the stand but the convenience of not having to constantly open and close the USB cover more than cancels the presence of the port.

So far the only negatives I've encountered is low notification volume (which can be helped by running tones thru a PC to normalize and amplify the mp3 volume) and an area of slight pink tint in the center of low light closeup photos. Hopefully both will be fixed with a firmware update.

You can change the notification sound to a different one to a louder one and problem solved that's what i did. I had the same issue plus bump up the volume simple.

techaddict2

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

They should make every phone to have a magnetic port it soo convinent does not wear out or brake like a USB could.

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I came from the 2013. Moto x and i never look back the Sony is a really flagship device camera battery screen etc Great! I gave up the moto notification but it worth it

I love the Moto assist in the car, where it reads your texts. The voice assist would be nice too, but my company email requires a pass code, which almost negates the assist entirely (it still works, but requires you to type or speak the PIN code, which in the former case is an aggravating pain in the ****, and in the latter case is a security risk).

So while I will miss some of the Moto innovations, I couldn't really take advantage of them to their full potential anyway. Thanks for your response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63