switched back to VZW ... unlocked phones ... never expected these problems

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I finally bit the bullet about 6mos ago and bought 2 unlocked phones on Swappa. Mine is a Note 10+. I'm not nearly as happy with unlocked as are the diehard unlocked fans.

Finally having gotten sick of T-Mo's slow speeds after about 4 years we switched back to VZW about 10 days ago.

We realized that likely our biggest problem with slow speeds, dropped calls and lousy connections at home is that 1/2 of our house used to be an old schoolhouse and I do mean old. We're talking we live in the area the Laura Ingles grew up. So we have 1/2 a house with really thick walls. Nothing can be done about that. The other half of the house is newer but we still have the same kind of problems. All issues likely include rural living where the signals are poor anyway. We had a booster from TMO that I'll be returning. That helped a little bit but nothing impressive.

So, this little project took me 4 trips to the VZW store. Somewhere in there I did take home a Note 20 (the low end version) and wound up taking it back. Did not impress me in the least and I have never not loved a Note :( I am using my Note 10+.

Ok, so now I no longer have a Visual Voicemail app even though I'm paying for it and I need it badly. At work I now have an overly slow connection, worse than TMO. I tried one booster app from the Play Store which did nothing, still no more than 2 bars when sitting at my desk. Before I try more any recommendations? I do not have a rooted phone nor do I want to root.

I've heard sometimes the Visual Voicemail is on the SIM so maybe I got a SIM that didn't have it?

Open to suggestions. Maybe I should have tried US Cellular instead, sigh ....

Deb

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Regarding visual voicemail - this comes up from time to time. Most carriers don't offer broad support for their visual voicemail on unlocked devices. Here's a recent thread on the Verizon support community related to this on that carrier - https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Series/Visual-Voicemail-App/td-p/1167822

You'll notice that someone even points out that the FAQ says it's available on all smartphones, but there is an invisible caveat there - it has to be a Verizon-branded device!

Regarding your signal strength - no carrier will assure service within a structure. One of the ways they mitigate this is through the support of WiFi calling and texting (which, by the way, often requires a carrier-branded device).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
On the unlocked model the samsung visual voicemail worked with my AT&t SIM for free but wasn't compatible with my T-Mobile SIM so couldn't use it .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't believe any claim made by a "booster app" in the Play Store -- I'm not sure how an app could possibly boost cell signal.

Is wi-fi calling out of the question for you, since you have a non-Verizon phone?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't believe any claim made by a "booster app" in the Play Store -- I'm not sure how an app could possibly boost cell signal.

Is wi-fi calling out of the question for you, since you have a non-Verizon phone?
The one time I tried an unlocked phone, Wi-Fi calling was a no-go for Verizon.I dogs get visual voicemail via the Google dialer app, though.
WiFi calling is available on unlocked samsung models with Verizon sim

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I finally bit the bullet about 6mos ago and bought 2 unlocked phones on Swappa. Mine is a Note 10+. I'm not nearly as happy with unlocked as are the diehard unlocked fans.

Finally having gotten sick of T-Mo's slow speeds after about 4 years we switched back to VZW about 10 days ago.

We realized that likely our biggest problem with slow speeds, dropped calls and lousy connections at home is that 1/2 of our house used to be an old schoolhouse and I do mean old. We're talking we live in the area the Laura Ingles grew up. So we have 1/2 a house with really thick walls. Nothing can be done about that. The other half of the house is newer but we still have the same kind of problems. All issues likely include rural living where the signals are poor anyway. We had a booster from TMO that I'll be returning. That helped a little bit but nothing impressive.

So, this little project took me 4 trips to the VZW store. Somewhere in there I did take home a Note 20 (the low end version) and wound up taking it back. Did not impress me in the least and I have never not loved a Note :( I am using my Note 10+.

Ok, so now I no longer have a Visual Voicemail app even though I'm paying for it and I need it badly. At work I now have an overly slow connection, worse than TMO. I tried one booster app from the Play Store which did nothing, still no more than 2 bars when sitting at my desk. Before I try more any recommendations? I do not have a rooted phone nor do I want to root.

I've heard sometimes the Visual Voicemail is on the SIM so maybe I got a SIM that didn't have it?

Open to suggestions. Maybe I should have tried US Cellular instead, sigh ....

Deb
I'm have unlocked Samsung's on Verizon. Look for a green voicemail app icon. It allows you to upgrade to Verizon premium visual voicemail.Screenshot_20201003-004723_One%20UI%20Home.jpegScreenshot_20201003-004924_Voicemail.jpegScreenshot_20201003-004941_Voicemail.jpeg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But does it matter if the unlocked phone used to be from a different carrier? I know that certain carrier-specific variants can be limited in certain respects.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But does it matter if the unlocked phone used to be from a different carrier? I know that certain carrier-specific variants can be limited in certain respects.
The only one I know that don't have it on samsung (WiFi calling) is Att on the unlocked

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Now on samsung unlocked visual voicemail could be carrier can block that , like with T-Mobile SIM but Att works .

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey Deb! Great to see you out and about again... note 10+ best of the 5 notes I've owned!
Have friends with manufacturer unlocked Samsungs on VZ with no problems.
You got great info about their Visual VM too.
As for your house... get near the windows. Had a house in LA that was like a Faraday Cage... once the signal locked on though I could move away from the window. Yeah I know...
Good luck!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
In my area Tmobile has better service than VZW does anymore. It was the best switch I did two years ago plus VZW is way to expensive.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm have unlocked Samsung's on Verizon. Look for a green voicemail app icon. It allows you to upgrade to Verizon premium visual voicemail.View attachment 327198View attachment 327199View attachment 327200

Ok, so yesterday I got an incoming call and the Samsung VM app popped up to be installed. I went ahead and did this. It's blue not green and it's already the premium and there's an option to downgrade to Basic. So maybe it turns blue on premium, I dunno.

The problem w/this one seems to be that when I get a voicemail it's going to my texting app not the Visual VM. Any ideas how to fix that? I like to keep the two separate.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
In my area Tmobile has better service than VZW does anymore. It was the best switch I did two years ago plus VZW is way to expensive.

I'd have to say they're about even where we're at but TMO seemed a little better. Seems like it just depends on which way the wind is is blowing or something like that. Ugh. I got the monthly cost down to just $20 more on VZW than TMO and I can live w/that. If update to autopay that will eliminate the difference altogether. Plus I can get my company discount if I set it up. So, currently I could not complain about pricing which is why we left VZW in the first place.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so yesterday I got an incoming call and the Samsung VM app popped up to be installed. I went ahead and did this. It's blue not green and it's already the premium and there's an option to downgrade to Basic. So maybe it turns blue on premium, I dunno.

The problem w/this one seems to be that when I get a voicemail it's going to my texting app not the Visual VM. Any ideas how to fix that? I like to keep the two separate.
I've never seen that happen....your voicemails should be in your inbox

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey Deb! Great to see you out and about again... note 10+ best of the 5 notes I've owned!
Have friends with manufacturer unlocked Samsungs on VZ with no problems.
You got great info about their Visual VM too.
As for your house... get near the windows. Had a house in LA that was like a Faraday Cage... once the signal locked on though I could move away from the window. Yeah I know...
Good luck!

Hi and nice to see you, too :) I really do need to get back here more often. It's a nice place to hang out just for fun :)

I'm finding I'm quite a bit less excited about phones in general these days, I guess I'm really getting old. The Note 10+ is better than the Note 20 for me that's for sure. Although I do like the LG Stylo's but the LG cameras are really lacking in my opinion especially in comparison with the Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech