Switching from iOS.... or trying to. I need some advice

EmbraceNext

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I just bought the OnePlus 7 pro. I love the hardware. However, I am really having an issue with the OS itself. Things that I miss, "Tap the top to scroll up" and the ability to have your notifications only show once on the lock screen (I found samsung OS allows for this) but not other flavors. In android auto there is no taping to bring up texts... just feels unfinished. This is absolutely NOT a rant, but mainly a call for help. I want to move off of iOS. I read and hear people say all the time that Android is so customizable you can do whatever you want. I am not finding that. It feels way more restrictive. So far the best part is being able to traverse the file system and handle downloads really well. How do I get the features I am looking for if I can do whatever I want? I am not a developer, I am more on the network and infrastructure side for my career.

I am returning the OnePlus 7 pro due to their customer service more than anything. I am thinking of holding off for the Pixel 4. But if I do that, how can I keep the notifications from showing up more than once? I appreciate the help! Thank you.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome

But if I do that, how can I keep the notifications from showing up more than once?

I'm not sure I follow on this point. What's the issue you're having?

In android auto there is no taping to bring up texts

I can tap on a new text and have it read to me, with the option to reply being presented (for verbal response and dictation of text if you say yes) at the end. Are you expecting different?

Not sure I can help on the scroll to the top feature.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Some browsers have a button that appears on the bottom for immediate scroll to top on one tap (Samsung browser has it for example). You don't have to use Chrome if you don't want to. And Samsung Browser is actually available for non-Samsung phones in the Play Store.
You also don't need to use Android Auto. There are several driving apps on the Play Store. You can fine one with the interface and features you like best.

EmbraceNext

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Thats good to hear that there are multiple auto apps. What I meant by that btw, is on iOS CarPlay, there is an actual text app, so I can tap that and bring up a past text. With Android auto, I couldn't find that. But if there are other ones to test out that would be good.

I didn't know about the other browsers either. I am actually excited about edgium coming to Android. Maybe that will work how I want. I can try the others as well.

So the issue with notifications... Here is an example:
If I get a text, I glance over and see it. It isn't something I need to take care of right now. Then a minute or 2 later, the same notification pops up. On iOS they are called 'Notification Reminders'. I see that Samsung has the ability to stop it. However for more vanilla Android devices, that option doesn't seem to be available.

So for a OS global tap to the top, that isn't available? I can't believe how much I used that. Its crazy that we don't know what we have until it is gone :)

Thank you for the help. For everyone reading this, PLEASE understand this is NOT an iOS vs Android flame war. It is an actual plee for help to get around some of these features I didn't know or think that I would miss. I am sending the OnePlus 7 pro back, not really because of Android, but other reasons. Not a fan of the curved edges and it is massive. My hands are small. SO I am having issues with that. Again... Thank you!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
However for more vanilla Android devices, that option doesn't seem to be available.

I don't get these reminders. I get the audible and visual notification, then it just persists in the notification shade until I either swipe it away or tap it to open the app but I don't get additional audible notifications. I have a Pixel 2 XL, about as "vanilla" as you can get these days.

EmbraceNext

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I think I am going to try again with the pixel 4. Another question on notifications. How do I get them to show on the lockscreen in chronological order? So for example, I have 3 notifications showing. Top being 16 minutes old, 2nd 2 hours old and the bottom one 'NOW'. Sometimes the 'NOW' doesn't show at all on the lockscreen and I have to open the phone and pull down. Then its like the 6th down.