Switching roms, and back again. Couple of questions

racermech

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I am on Bamf 4.9 and am pretty happy. But I really want to try the CM7 build and maybe a couple of others. But I want to make sure I can go back to where I am if needed. So I think this is the steps.

Using rom manager. Back up current rom
Download CM7 (or whatever rom I want)
Wipe cache and davik, flash the rom like normal.

If I dont like the rom, do I simply flash my old backup from rom manager? Do I Hboot and wipe cache then flash the backup? Not sure what steps to take to get back to Bamf 4.9 if I am not happy with CM7 or other roms.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I am on Bamf 4.9 and am pretty happy. But I really want to try the CM7 build and maybe a couple of others. But I want to make sure I can go back to where I am if needed. So I think this is the steps.

Using rom manager. Back up current rom
Download CM7 (or whatever rom I want)
Wipe cache and davik, flash the rom like normal.

If I dont like the rom, do I simply flash my old backup from rom manager? Do I Hboot and wipe cache then flash the backup? Not sure what steps to take to get back to Bamf 4.9 if I am not happy with CM7 or other roms.

Use ROM Manager, or just boot into Recovery... make backup
Download CM7 and put it on your SD Card.
Enable GPS, open Navigation app... lock on GPS with an address... leave it running
(Reason for locking in GPS is that most AOSP have an issue/bug with GPS unless you do the above).
Recovery again.
Wipe DATA, Cache, and Dalvik cache, then flash CM7.

If you don't like that ROM, boot into Recovery, load backup... simple... then boot up.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The only step I'd add would be to do a wipe (inc. cache/dalvik) first when you boot into recovery before you restore the backup.

Is it necessary? Eh, maybe not, but it takes about 60 seconds -- and I prefer to have a blank canvas whenever I install a ROM or restore a backup, and it's not like you need that data anymore.

You may also want to backup the new ROM first, before wiping and restoring the backup...or maybe not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis