Syncing Huawei 'Gallery' with Google Photos [not solved]

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi everyone

I have seen the same question here but the answer did not solve or explain properly the problem.

I have an Huawei P20 Pro and the sync on Google Photos is enabled.

When I take a photo from the P20 Pro the image is saved on my cellphone and sent to the Google Photos cloud.

If I delete a photo through the Google Photos app it will also delete the picture on my cellphone storage.

Problem

When I am on the Huawei Gallery app (which is also the only app that you can view photos when you are still in camera mode) and delete a picture, this only deletes the picture from my cellphone storage, but it DOES NOT delete them from Google Photos cloud.
Which makes no sense for me because the sync is enabled and if I delete a picture on my cellphone and it doesn't apply to the cloud, then the sync is not working properly.
Another point: the functionality 'free space from cellphone' of Google Photos app is exactly for when you don't want to keep the picture on the storage but just on the cloud.
If I delete it on the cellphone and it doesn't apply to the cloud, then it is doing the same job as 'free space'.
For me it sounds as a bug.

In other words, any actions I do on Google photos cloud carry through to Huawei Gallery, but any changes I do through the Huawey Gallery app do not carry onto Google photos cloud. The result is that it can be extremely annoying to have spent 20 mins deleting photos of my phone only to have them reappear again on Google photos and require me to do the same exercise again.

Question

Does anybody know how to fix this bug? I want a proper sync:
1. delete from cloud -> delete from cellphone storage.
2. delete from cellphone through the Huawei gallery app -> delete from the cloud.
3. 'free space from cellphone' (Google photos functionality) -> keep picture ONLY on the cloud and remove from the cellphones storage.

PS.: the Sync is already enabled. The only step not working properly is number 2.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which makes no sense for me because the sync is enabled and if I delete a picture on my cellphone and it doesn't apply to the cloud, then the sync is not working properly.

Welcome to Android Central! The key thing to understand is that Google Photos is not doing a true "sync" in the strict technical sense, but rather is doing a backup. Syncing means that whatever you do to a file on either end is reflected on the other end. However, with Google Photos, you can delete the device copy of the photo on the phone's storage, but the backup will remain in the cloud. That's what the Huawei Gallery app is doing -- deleting the device copy.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt