Taking bets on the level of bloat

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Who's betting there will be a lot of bloat on the VZW version?

I'm (cautiously) optimistic that Samsung is strong arming the carriers on a lot of aspects of the phone. Hopefully this will carry over to the amount of bloat as well and Samsung can keep it to a minimum.

-Suntan

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I think it will be loaded with bloat like their other phones.

I also think it's the other way around and Verizon is the one strong arming the phone companies. Verizon is the biggest carrier and a phone on their network equals alot more sales. I think they tell the phone maker take the bloat or take it elsewhere.

Even the Nexus had two Verizon apps pre installed and I wonder if it was an argument over bloatware that delayed its Verizon release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
i was just playing with my buddies droid 4 and it was so bloated im pretty sure it could float.

i am praying that the s3 is not full of crapware and that anything on it can be easily removed.

i have a DINC now. I have to force my head from blowing up everytime i have to choose to use the free google navigation instead of vzw paid navigation.

p.s. John Malkavich is a huge tool for doing apple siri commercials

Reactions: droidmyme

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
i was just playing with my buddies droid 4 and it was so bloated im pretty sure it could float.

i am praying that the s3 is not full of crapware and that anything on it can be easily removed.

i have a DINC now. I have to force my head from blowing up everytime i have to choose to use the free google navigation instead of vzw paid navigation.

p.s. John Malkavich is a huge tool for doing apple siri commercials

Lol :D. I agree. And I'm pretty sure Siri is not as smart as they show on the commercial. But I digress

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
We can only hope that Samsung decided to get all "apple" and not allow any bloatware. I do think they will be throwing in Color and their damn backup assistant.

Just checked their product page and unlike other phones this one doesn't list anything but Google apps. Peace.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
We can only hope that Samsung decided to get all "apple" and not allow any bloatware. I do think they will be throwing in Color and their damn backup assistant.

Just checked their product page and unlike other phones this one doesn't list anything but Google apps. Peace.

and why do i need backup assistant? same as why do i need 4 different nfl apps?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I expect this phone will have the typical VZW bloatware on it.If it doesn't I will be surprised.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
What if it comes with Bing like the Fascinate did. Any ex-Fascinate owners remember that? Even the search button was hard coded to Bing.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Why do u think there is a delay. Vzw still has a deal in place if its not a droid brand it gets BINGED and heavely saturated in bloat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Why do u think there is a delay. Vzw still has a deal in place if its not a droid brand it gets BINGED and heavely saturated in bloat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

They don't bing many devices and that deal ran out awhile back. Look at the recent high end phones released none had bing. Droid branding or not

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
It's been awhile but hopefully Verizon doesn't bring back the Bing android phones and hopefully the guy who was in charge of that debacle was moved to a easier position.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
US carriers have been pretty much kept on a tight leash by Samsung for the GS III launch :)

It doesn't matter though, ICS can disable apps and this phone is very easy to root.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope, 2 minutes and they are disabled if I want them gone. So again, why should I care?

Jeez Debbie-Downer, a lot of us are here because we are stoked about the new gadget we will be getting in about a month. What else do you want to talk about?

I suppose you're that guy who would respond, "Why do I care if we are having a nice day outside, I'm sitting inside" to anyone trying to make small talk in a waiting room...

In any case, bloat takes up space on your phone whether you disable them or not. They cause headaches if you want to permanently delete them and then go about getting future upgrades. Finally, they affect the timeliness of OS releases with carrier testing and can be the reason why a phone doesn?t even get a future release. Just ask anyone running a VZW phone with 512MB of memory and isn?t going to get ICS. Yeah, ICS runs fine on 512MB of memory when it is stripped down, but carriers can?t bloat out the phone and still have it run properly so they just don?t do it at all.

Yeah, the GSIII should have capability and space to spare, and with ICS you can disable them. With root you can eliminate them altogether. Still, the best option is for Samsung to force carriers to keep the bloat to a minimum from the beginning.

As for why you should care? I guess I?m left wondering why you are still hanging around here.

-Suntan

Reactions: woolster22

TallyHo

Junkie
Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Jeez Debbie-Downer, a lot of us are here because we are stoked about the new gadget we will be getting in about a month. What else do you want to talk about?

I suppose you're that guy who would respond, "Why do I care if we are having a nice day outside, I'm sitting inside" to anyone trying to make small talk in a waiting room...

In any case, bloat takes up space on your phone whether you disable them or not. They cause headaches if you want to permanently delete them and then go about getting future upgrades. Finally, they affect the timeliness of OS releases with carrier testing and can be the reason why a phone doesn?t even get a future release. Just ask anyone running a VZW phone with 512MB of memory and isn?t going to get ICS. Yeah, ICS runs fine on 512MB of memory when it is stripped down, but carriers can?t bloat out the phone and still have it run properly so they just don?t do it at all.

Yeah, the GSIII should have capability and space to spare, and with ICS you can disable them. With root you can eliminate them altogether. Still, the best option is for Samsung to force carriers to keep the bloat to a minimum from the beginning.

As for why you should care? I guess I?m left wondering why you are still hanging around here.

-Suntan

All that said, it is simple to just root and remove the bloat. As far as waiting for updates, that will be an issue as we wait for radio updates, but sshouldn't matter so much on OS updates because those that really get their panties in a bunch over bloatware (we have 2GB RAM and 11GB free on phone and 64GB expand) like it is really going to cause a space issue for them are most likely going to ROM their phone anyway, so it won't matter.

On that note.....how much space do you really need? 11GB + 64 GB = 75GB or even 91GB if you get the 32MB model of free space. I have 185 apps on my DX and use 1.5GB of space. I can easily pair down my music that I want offline access to or don't want to stream down to 20-25GB and even with that I'd never get close to actually listening to all that.

I think the bloat thing is overrated with these new phones with so much space. It was a bigger deal back when the DX came out due to only having 8GB and 16GB card max (best available then). Now with 75GB or 91GB available easily, bloat shouldn't matter at all other than people feeling like a company has no right to put their own software on a phone they distribute. If you don't like it, ROM it, or don't buy it.....simple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jagwap