TB top phone... to avoid?!

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Got that within a week of buying the phone. Still shouldn't have had to get it in the first place along with a bucket of chargers. I should not have to plan my day around charging this phone.

You have some issues with your phone or something if you can't get a full day out of your phone on an extended battery. Unless it just runs non-stop and in that case no phone would last all day.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Put simply, its mainly growing pains for new tech. Tbolt is an awesome phone, but you may need to do some tinkering to get it right.

onegimp

May 10, 2011
Visit site
You have some issues with your phone or something if you can't get a full day out of your phone on an extended battery. Unless it just runs non-stop and in that case no phone would last all day.
I can get a full day out of the extended battery. The point is that I shouldn't have had to buy one in the first place to get through a day on one charge.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Thunderbolt has potential, it just never measured up to HTC and VZW hype. Up until mr2 I had a usable phone. Then came the unknown data drops, for me and countless others, which left us with delayed SMS & MMS messages and no internet connection. I even dropped phone usage (found they either showed as missed call or pending voicemails). To recover I use plenty of my extended battery reserve (went from 100%-69% trying to reconnect). I am in Rochester NY, one of the initial 4G rollout cities and up until mr2 I enjoyed 4G data without this 4G-3G-1X-no connection I have now. I'm stock and believe HTC & VZW owe me a fully functional 4G phone without having to root. I paid for more than I'm getting now :-( . I can't even get them to suggest anything beyond their goto "factory reset" , remove LTE OnOff, and not even a hint the onus is on them to fix a flawed update.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know... My battery seems to be fine. this is one charge with the standard battery

snap20110803_143834.png

snap20110803_143831.png

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't know... My battery seems to be fine. this is one charge with the standard battery

Yeah, that's not bad. If running exclusively on 4G, however, I'm sure you can't get results like that. (your screen shot shows you were using wifi at least when the screen shot was taken).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the battery is show-stopper either, and I've had my standard battery last 26 hours (while using exclusively 3G) before... but 4G does suck the life out of it. (And I really like leaving 4G on when I can!)

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is only slightly worse on LTE vs wifi but then again, the Dallas-Fort Worth area is blanketed in LTE reception for the most part. Rarely do I look down and see 3G anymore. I'm also using Llama to detect where I am and both Turn on Wifi and log me in automatically at several places I frequent.

So there's a place I like to hang out that is in a 3G area a ways south of Fort Worth. As soon as I walk in the door Llama detects and logs me into the club's wifi and then turns it off again when I leave. No fuss, no muss. The app is free and does lots of other neat stuff but this feature alone is magical.

ronshane#AC

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I love my TB,it stays consistently on 4g unless i leave covered area .As far as battery life goes i average around 5-6 hrs a day ,shorter if i use mobile hotspot.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
No change whatsoever with MR2 here, still crashes often, resets itself several times a day and loses GPS reception randomly and often. With the new Skype just released which was one of the main things I was looking forward to with this phone, the FFC is disabled.

Getting more and more annoyed and frustrated. Almost thinking about taking T-Mobile and their store only new deal up on the g2x.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No change whatsoever with MR2 here, still crashes often, resets itself several times a day and loses GPS reception randomly and often. With the new Skype just released which was one of the main things I was looking forward to with this phone, the FFC is disabled.

Getting more and more annoyed and frustrated. Almost thinking about taking T-Mobile and their store only new deal up on the g2x.

I think u should return your phone under warranty. Most tb's are much better since mr2

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Have you done a factory reset? Of not you should.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't put much faith in a person who calls a tablet a phone even if it does place phone calls. It's called a tablet so that is what it is. Likely this Marty Gabel has his iphone in a place where the sun doesn't shine set on vibrate.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and the "fauxG" thing? Yeah, we get it, you came up with a clever name...for a network that actually DOES live up to it's advertised speeds? Sorry, the "fauxG" thing made sense for the Inspire review, but it really doesn't fit for Verizon's LTE.

haha, that's what I call Tmo's "4G". at least LTE is new tech, ie the generation after CDMA and GSM/HSPA.

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt say it is a terrible phone just disappointing. I had no issues with my bolt until mr1 then I had random reboots, along comes mr2 and no more reboots now I just lose my data connection randomly. Wish I could go back to when it worked all the time, before they started "improving" my perfect phone. I'm seriously thinking of switching to the incredible 2 same main internals on proven network technology. I don't have 4g in Nebraska anyway so I basically paid a bunch of money for an unreliable 3g phone

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh ya, without 4G this phone would be a huge mistake imo. When I got mine vzw offered 2 choices with LTE and I chose the wrong one. I do like being able to use data while on a phone call but data shut offs are a drag.

Just had to restart today. Turning off the network then turning on again sometimes works but not always. I kind of wish I had opted for the more expensive 1 year contract.

Today I connected headphones and the phone mistook them for headphone with voice dial and then the phone twice initiated calls to the most recent number I dialed. There are always easter eggs waiting to be discovered in the tbolt.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh ya, without 4G this phone would be a huge mistake imo. When I got mine vzw offered 2 choices with LTE and I chose the wrong one. I do like being able to use data while on a phone call but data shut offs are a drag.

Just had to restart today. Turning off the network then turning on again sometimes works but not always. I kind of wish I had opted for the more expensive 1 year contract.

Today I connected headphones and the phone mistook them for headphone with voice dial and then the phone twice initiated calls to the most recent number I dialed. There are always easter eggs waiting to be discovered in the tbolt.

Have you tried getting a replacement phone? You have more problems than anyone else I've seen on this forum. My phone is pretty much flawless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azrae9484