TBE Extreme Rom - Help!

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
First off, Howdy! I am brand new to all this stuff, and am just starting to figure it all out, so please bear with me if I ask stupid or simple questions. ;) I rooted my TB, was having issues with Verizon's update that they were pushing, so I loaded a new rom (TBE Extreme). I tries a couple, but 1 was just 2 plain, and 2 gave me no service, so I settled on this one, since it is very similar to stock, just a lot of the crap out. Basically everything works fine, except that SUPERUSER seems not to work. I have Titanium, it cant get access, nor can Root Explorer. Guess it's not that big a deal, since most of the bloat is out, but still...

Also, is there a simple way to maintain all of my settings, personalazation, and apps when switching ROMs?

Thanks for all your assistance to this noob!

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
First off, Howdy! I am brand new to all this stuff, and am just starting to figure it all out, so please bear with me if I ask stupid or simple questions. ;) I rooted my TB, was having issues with Verizon's update that they were pushing, so I loaded a new rom (TBE Extreme). I tries a couple, but 1 was just 2 plain, and 2 gave me no service, so I settled on this one, since it is very similar to stock, just a lot of the crap out. Basically everything works fine, except that SUPERUSER seems not to work. I have Titanium, it cant get access, nor can Root Explorer. Guess it's not that big a deal, since most of the bloat is out, but still...

Also, is there a simple way to maintain all of my settings, personalazation, and apps when switching ROMs?

Thanks for all your assistance to this noob!

have you tried clearing the SuperUser app cache/data & then trying to run TitaniumBackup?

easiest way=TitaniumBackUp. this will backup all of your user apps&data. as far as personalization--that would border SystemData--you never want to back that up. different ROMS have different frameworks and wouldn't play nicely with each other if ROM A's code were restored into ROM B's files.
with TitaniumBackup i can load a new ROM & have all my apps&app data restored within 5 minutes. it makes flashing ROMs a breeze.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
not entirely sure. It was a "one click" method, the download was "TB_autoroot" if that helps. Superuser was granting permission prior to loading the new rom, so my guess is it must have had full access, but i'm sure you would know better than I.

The personalization makes a bit of sense, but is there no way to preserve things like assigned ringtones? thats really the biggest P-I-T-A for me, since I have lots of personalized ringtones for people. And I have found no way to even set group ringtones! FML! lol...

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
there's a good chance you don't have Busybox installed--something that SuperUser needs. most ROMs have it, but i've found a few which don't include it in the ROM itself. i'm not certain if your newly flashed ROM has it. so you'd be required to manually install it for SuperUser/root apps.

you can push it to your device from the the market link, found here

download/install the app and then try running SuperUser again/TitaniumBackUp again.

i'm on an AOSP ROM, so i can't recall if it's easier/hard to assign group ringtones, but you could try Group Ringtones from the market. it does the same thing.

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
what Superuser version do you have

open the app, scroll to the right to see "Settings"
i'm running 2.3.6.3 (database version 5)
SU Binary
2.3.2-efgh

(also, did you fully wipe cache/data/dalvik (i do these 3 times) before installing this ROM?---if you're noticing other problems within the ROM, there's a good chance it was a bad flash & reflashing it would fix it)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
if you haven't made any modifications to the ROM just yet,
i would
1) check the MD5Sum of the ROM zip, just to be sure
2) wipe data/cache/dalvik 3 times
3) flash the ROM again

if you still can't get root access, then you can rule out a bad flash.
my reasoning==rather try this before you setup the phone than after you've gone thru and customized it.

also, just to rule it out:
did you check if you have SU by using a terminal emulator & keying "SU"?
if that doesn't return a # symbol, then there's something else plaguing your ROM.

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
"1) check the MD5Sum of the ROM zip, just to be sure

also, just to rule it out:
did you check if you have SU by using a terminal emulator & keying "SU"?
if that doesn't return a # symbol, then there's something else plaguing your ROM.[/QUOTE]

not sure what that means...

I have the ZIP for the rom, so I can certainly unzip and look. the other stuff is greek to me, though i can certainly do the other stuff easy enough!

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
tried wiping cache 3 times. still wont allow SU. I will try reloading the rom when I get home, and let you know the results!

Thank you so much for being such a gracious help so far:D

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
ok, update here. I tried reloading rom several imes, same issues with SU, so.... I said screw it and loaded virusrom. Guessing TBE is buggie in that regard. Anyway, thank you project.in.process for all your assistance! Tis just seemed like the simplest fix!

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The issue sounds like its because you installed super user from Market, SU has to be in the correct location to grant access rights and the Market download installs in wrong directory.. Uninstall SU and download the one from http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and then place it on the SD Card root and flash it with the bootloader, this should resolve your issue.

Instructions:

*Download and place it on the SD Card root
*Power off device and then power into bootloader (Volume Down and Power until white bootloader screen)
• Select Bootloader / Recovery (Up and Down arrows to select and power to enter)
• Once in Recovery select Install zip for SD Card / choose zip from card/su_2.3.6.3_efgh_signed.zip
There should be a SuperUser (Skull icon) on the launcher menu to indicate rooted..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital