terrible nexus luck

god_trentonj

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had 4 different Nexus S 4gs. The first two didn't ring properly. I'd be sitting at my computer (a foot from my airave) and all the sudden I would get a notification that I have a voicemail. Both phones. The third one had a screen distortion and the Sprint store swapped it out right away. The fourth (and my current) has issues with the data connection over 3g. My wife's Evo gets 3 times the download speed that mine gets :(.

I've been working with the kind folks at dan@sprint.com. Today they offered to swap me out to a different phone... but their choices were ridiculous in my opinion. They offered the Samsung Replenish, the HTC Evo Shift, and the HTC Arrive. Obviously none of those phones hold a candle to what the Nexus is supposed to be (and what I thought it was).

I'm not sure what to do... I've heard that Sept. 9th with the contract changes is a way to get out of Sprint service.... You all have any suggestions?

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my third NS4G, and while the connection problems have lessened, they haven't vanished. I've been eyeing that 9/9 date, myself, as I'd rather dump Sprint and pay $200 than break contract later and pay $350. It's frustrating, as so many people have had no trouble whatsoever that it's difficult to determine the root cause: hardware, software, or network.

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I had similar problems. Rooted and flashed to Oxygen 2.2.2, have not had a single problem yet.

Coincidence? Perhaps, just sharing what helped for me.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had 4 different Nexus S 4gs. The first two didn't ring properly. I'd be sitting at my computer (a foot from my airave) and all the sudden I would get a notification that I have a voicemail. Both phones. The third one had a screen distortion and the Sprint store swapped it out right away. The fourth (and my current) has issues with the data connection over 3g. My wife's Evo gets 3 times the download speed that mine gets :(.

I've been working with the kind folks at dan@sprint.com. Today they offered to swap me out to a different phone... but their choices were ridiculous in my opinion. They offered the Samsung Replenish, the HTC Evo Shift, and the HTC Arrive. Obviously none of those phones hold a candle to what the Nexus is supposed to be (and what I thought it was).

I'm not sure what to do... I've heard that Sept. 9th with the contract changes is a way to get out of Sprint service.... You all have any suggestions?

I just went through this just a week or two ago on my Epic 4g. Initially started off with my 8 month old Epic having display issues then it turned into 3 bad refurbs in a row. Finally after many attempts on the phone with Sprint they offered me the device swap. That is how I ended up on the Nexus S 4g. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with my Nexus.

As far as the devices offered to swap out to I got the same offer, Intercept/EVO Shift/Kycero/NS4G. Its based on the current selling value of your device your coming from. So seeing how the Epic 4g is currently selling at $150, these are the phones that area available for under $150 mark. Since the NS4G has dropped in price recently the options to swap to are even less...

god_trentonj

May 13, 2010
Visit site
How many Pre's did you go through?

My third Pre was fantastic.

Thanks for all the feedback and support all. I appreciate it! Spoke with a person in retention's and she offered to move an upgrade from a different line to this line so I could get into something new. I'm considering it seriously. The two lines I have that could be upgraded probably won't for some time since they are before the 10 premium data fee....

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I went through TONS of EVO 4Gs. That's why I bought a NS4G. I sold my EVO for the same price as I paid for the Nexus (not with sprint).

The signal strenght isn't as strong as my EVO and I dropped a call because of it.

I'd buy a Photon but I want to see what Sprint pushes out in Oct/Nov....

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

baltien

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Been having the following issues from jump with my Nexus S:

-Slow and erratic 3G coverage is by far my biggest gripe. Sometimes it's slow to the point of being unusable. I'm not expecting to blink and the page be loaded but geez, TWO FULL MINUTES of trying to load and it still fails?

That's pitiful.

Not to mention the wild fluctuation of bars. It will go from five bars to none. Or from two, to five. Even if I'm standing still, the signal is all over the place. I've never seen that on a cell phone. I even took it to the local Sprint store here and showed a rep. I held it next to an Evo to prove the Nexus gets crappy reception (the Evo had full bars and my Nexus had two). The rep looked me dead in my face and said she didn't see a problem. :confused:

And to top it all off the Nexus doesn't even get full reception while right next to the Airave in my house.

Wifi reception is pretty terrible as well. Just swap "wifi" for "3G" above and you get my drift.

-Back button randomly sticks. Can't figure out what triggers it, but I've even tried using the phone without any third party apps for a week and got the same issue.

-Keyboard loads slowly, and sometimes doesn't scale to fit the screen properly. Usually, just closing whatever app I was using and then reopening it fixes it, but it's still annoying.

The kicker? My girlfriend got a Nexus S about a month after me and has ALL THE SAME EXACT ISSUES. As a result, I will never ever in my life purchase another Samsung product. My new Evo should be arriving tomorrow and it can't come fast enough. For the Nexus S 4G to supposedly be a "flagship" phone the experience has been nothing short of a nightmare, and Google should ashamed that their name is attached to such crap.

The Evo will be the last stand for me. If that turns out to be crap as well I'm ditching Sprint once the iPhone hits Verizon. I'm tired of this.

EDIT: For anyone that cares, 2.3.5 did absolutely jack for me. Also, I tried a few different ROM and while some had nice features, none could fix the underlying issue that is the piss poor radio inside the NS4G.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svtracy