Thank you ICS

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Being gentle here. I'm not sure an operating system can affect radio performance. The radio is still the same radio and is still receiving the same signal. It has to. Physics is unaffected by software, it just *is*. So while ICS may report it differently, the signal induced in the antenna and processed by the analog circuitry remains exactly the same. I would ignore the signal reporting. As well as he battery reporting. Those are mostly marketing numbers anyway. The marketing departments of every phone maker want their phones to look good, so by heavens those bars WILL be as high as they can get away with them reporting the elements shown as (nice grammar, Mike :) ). The reporting code probably just hasn't been fiddled with by the marketing department. Yet. When the patch comes out and your signal apparently goes up, I will bet you that marketing had something to do with that.

You can make a completely dead antenna report full bars if you want to. It doesn't reflect the real world.

Oh, and yes. Yes I am engineer, and yes I have designed wireless and antenna systems. Thank you.

That's why bars don't matter and you have to go by dbm values. That's raw signal data

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Reactions: maxman1

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
That's why bars don't matter and you have to go by dbm values. That's raw signal data

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

I doubt it. The signal into the antenna is still exactly the same. That's my point. Some marketer wants to report -155dB as -90, that's simple enough to do and will bump your bars up. But the signal entering the antenna and the amp circuits remains the same regardless of operating system.

In other words, those numbers are whatever Moto wants them to be.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Being gentle here. I'm not sure an operating system can affect radio performance. The radio is still the same radio and is still receiving the same signal. It has to. Physics is unaffected by software, it just *is*. So while ICS may report it differently, the signal induced in the antenna and processed by the analog circuitry remains exactly the same. I would ignore the signal reporting. As well as he battery reporting. Those are mostly marketing numbers anyway. The marketing departments of every phone maker want their phones to look good, so by heavens those bars WILL be as high as they can get away with them reporting the elements shown as (nice grammar, Mike :) ). The reporting code probably just hasn't been fiddled with by the marketing department. Yet. When the patch comes out and your signal apparently goes up, I will bet you that marketing had something to do with that.

You can make a completely dead antenna report full bars if you want to. It doesn't reflect the real world.

Oh, and yes. Yes I am engineer, and yes I have designed wireless and antenna systems. Thank you.

Please explain why after update the phone now drops calls, the calls are cut up in the same areas that GB worked just fine in. I'm not going by just what the signal is reading, I am also going by how phone works.

My phone also fluctuates in signal and the roam indicator comes on in areas GB never had a issue. Did The developers set the phone up to roam also, I'm sure Verizon doesn't want the phone to roam.

I realize that the reading of the signal can read any way it's set to, but the phone has signal issues that really effect how the phone works and it happened after the update to ICS, so something got changed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Please explain why after update the phone now drops calls, the calls are cut up in the same areas that GB worked just fine in. I'm not going by just what the signal is reading, I am also going by how phone works.

My phone also fluctuates in signal and the roam indicator comes on in areas GB never had a issue. Did The developers set the phone up to roam also, I'm sure Verizon doesn't want the phone to roam.

I realize that the reading of the signal can read any way it's set to, but the phone has signal issues that really effect how the phone works and it happened after the update to ICS, so something got changed.

I have not dropped any calls or data signal whether its mobile data or Wi-Fi since I updated to ICS. I have no idea why so many people are complaining because its just not happening to me. That doesn't necessarily mean you're imagining things as software updates effect all of us differently. For example, I've seen many complaints about decreased battery life but mine has stayed the same if not slightly increased. I hope everything works out for everyone but I'm glad I'm not experiencing this.

vndlewis

Well I didn't ask for ics. I hate everything about it. After ics installed on its own, I can text but making a call is a joke. It won't go through and if it does you have no idea what is being said. GPS only works in the town I live in. The second we go somewhere it quits working. Battery life is horrible. Yesterday after 5 hours I was down to 40% and I wasn't using it. I use to be able to go 12+ hours and not be that low. My favorites is all messed up. I use to have my husband, mom and dad. My husband is now there 4 times and so is my mom. My dad is there 3 times. Every one on fb is now in contacts twice. I don't want everyone on fb in my contacts. I use to only have 48 contacts, now I have over 1800. Hate that I can't tap the screen to snooze the alarm clock. Now I have to grab the phone and hope i can hit the correct button without having to put on my glasses. I really hope I don't do it the old way and miss oversleep.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I didn't ask for ics. I hate everything about it.

In your position, I would be taking that phone back in a half-heartbeat. I don't know what went wrong, but obviously something went BADLY wrong and I wouldn't put up with the problem for any longer than it would take me to drive to the store I got it from.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I work at a business that recently made a HUGE upgrade in the way we did our entire process in relation to the customer experience. Half of the customers LOVED it, and the other half HATED it. It was funny to see that the half that hated it, was always those 45 yrs old and older. For some reason, change is their enemy and it clouds their logic. It becomes "I hate EVERYTHING about it" when in reality that would be impossible. Or if it were true, sell the dang thing and get something else.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I work at a business that recently made a HUGE upgrade in the way we did our entire process in relation to the customer experience. Half of the customers LOVED it, and the other half HATED it. It was funny to see that the half that hated it, was always those 45 yrs old and older. For some reason, change is their enemy and it clouds their logic. It becomes "I hate EVERYTHING about it" when in reality that would be impossible. Or if it were true, sell the dang thing and get something else.

Hmm. Sounds familiar. Let me see.... oh yeah. I hear the same thing every time Facebook changes :) At least in that case nothing important is being broken.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
In today's world, you are never "stuck" with anything unless it's a bad president of the United States. With cell phones, you have about 7 good options to sell it and buy something else. Sure, you might not be able to sell your Maxx and pay retail for a Galaxy S3, but if you literally, and honestly HATE EVERYTHING about ICS, you can easily afford a phone that will never be upgraded from GB. So sell it, and improve the quality of your life. It totally sucks to have a phone that doesn't meet your needs. I've been there. The changes are worth it so that you can return to something that is effective and fulfils your needs.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm 46. I don't hate change. I even signed up & participated in the soak test so I'm not concerned about that. I'm concerned that this phone was a solid reliable device before ICS and not so much now. It's not any more complicated than that.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx