The android email app seems inferior? Or am I? Please help!

chris136

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
In MS Outlook and with the android email app K9, the email account name is what is used as the sender's email address for outgoing emails.
With the android standard email app, it seems to ignore the Account name field, and show the sender's email address, as the same address from where emails were retrieved.

When email forwarding is used, this is a show-stopping problem.

For example, emails are addressed to me at 'chris at my-company'. The 'my-company' domain email forwarding is set up to forward these emails to my ISP at: 'chris at my-ISP'. The android app will receive the email from 'chris at my-ISP' no problem. But when I reply, is says the email is from 'chris at my-ISP' not chris at 'my-company'. I do not seem to be able to override this behaviour.

In both Outlook and K9, the account name (if different to the incoming settings) is what is used for the sender's name. So emails retrieved from 'chris at my-ISP' will show the sender correctly as 'chris at my-company'. Which is my proper email address, and to where the email was originally sent. Am I missing something, or have the android developers?

How do I change the senders name on outgoing emails?

Thanks, Chris

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I think Maildroid might do what you need, but don't hold me to that, I just seem to remember seeing it in there. You can check it out or email the developer to find out.

Otherwise, I suggest this:

Get a Gmail account, Chris@gmail.com. Have Chris@my-company forwarded to Gmail.

In Gmail online settings, you can set it up to do 'Send as'. Set it up as Chris@my-company.

This way you can use whatever email client you like. I used to do this a few years ago for my wife's business when her private domain service only had POP3.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Last edited:

chris136

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I will check out Maildroid.
As I said, K9 will do it but the interface is a bit old-fashioned.
Just surprised the standard android email app fails on such a basic requirement.

chris136

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions.
K9 allowed aliases, but for me the interface looked dated and with so many features, it seem more complicated than I needed.
AquaMail costs, unless you want to use the lite version. Recently, it has been receiving some mixed reviews.
Maildroid had adverts, unless you buy the expensive pro version.

I settled on using Gmail which is free, allows aliases, has regularly updates, as is built by a company I respect.

Thanks again for your advice,
Chris

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gennenb