The beauty of rooting and custom ROMs...

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been into this rooting and custom ROM thing for a few weeks now, and the more I've done, and the more I've learned, the more I love the phone I have. The more I do and learn, the less I am watching and waiting to see what phone Virgin Mobile USA is getting next. I am becoming less and less interested in replacing this Optimus V I've now invested myself in and that I've made my own.

A month or so back, I had all eyes on the Optimus Black, as a replacement to my Optimus V, even though I'd only had the OV a month or two. Since rooting and playing around with custom ROMs, namely Bumblebee and my favorite, Harmonia, I've become much happier with the idea of keeping this phone for a long time. It's awesome now that I've begun to make what I want out of it.

Thanks to everyone that works on these ROMs, recoveries, apps, tools, etc, that make all this possible.
You've made what I originally considered a "starter" and "for now" phone into one I really consider a keeper that gives me great joy every time I use it.

To anyone on the fence about rooting and installing a custom ROM. It just might change the way you feel about your phone. If you like it already, you'll probably love it once you've invested some time and personal taste into it.

Thanks again!

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly why I will NEVER own an iPhone! I hate the idea of my phone looking and acting exactly the same as everyone else's. People see my phone, and regardless of which phone they have, they are always jealous, including iPhone users and those with supposedly better Android phones!

If you want to push your phone to the limit, try one of the IHO CM7 based ROMs, you will be amazed at the extras included, and you might not go back to a Froyo based ROM afterwards. ;)

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly why I will NEVER own an iPhone! I hate the idea of my phone looking and acting exactly the same as everyone else's. People see my phone, and regardless of which phone they have, they are always jealous, including iPhone users and those with supposedly better Android phones!

If you want to push your phone to the limit, try one of the IHO CM7 based ROMs, you will be amazed at the extras included, and you might not go back to a Froyo based ROM afterwards. ;)

I'm definitely tempted! The one thing holding me back is fearing that everything will not working properly, though I don't know what that fear is based on. I'm not sure how far the IHO CM7 ROMs have come, maybe everything works great now and I was reading an old thread.

Regarding the iPhone. I owned an iPhone 4 last year, briefly. I really really liked iOS. I still own an iPod touch 4th gen. And though I still like iOS a lot, it becomes quite boring. There's a few things I miss about the iPhone, but at this point, there's a LOT MORE I'd miss about Android (especially a rooted one) if I ever moved back to an iPhone.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If you have a couple of hours to spare over the weekend, you have enough time to try out several ROMs. Spend a half hour doing a complete backup, use TitaniumBackup or MyBackupPro etc and go into recovery and do a backup (important!). Then spend 10 minutes wiping, formatting, and flashing a new ROM. Once signed in, spend another 10 minutes downloading the backup app you used, but only restore a couple of your most used apps, NEVER RESTORE ANY SYSTEM APPS OR DATA!!! Try out the ROM for a half hour or so, go through the settings and see what it can do. Then try wiping, formatting, and flashing another ROM if you have time/desire.

If you end up liking one of the ROMs, and want to try it out for a day or two, restore the rest of your apps (no system apps!!!).

If you are not happy with the ROMs you try, go into recovery, and restore the backup you made, no harm done. ;)

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've tried out Bumblebee, Harmonia, Rodimus (sp? too lazy to open a new tab and go look haha), and backside...and although I do like IHO, I still can't bring myself to separate me from my Harmonia 1.5 (even with it's missing 30 MBs lol)

I know I'm currently waiting to see what LeslieAnn can do with IHO and GB, the 2.1 beta looks nice already!

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the IHO roms are pretty much fully featured.

there is nothing that isnt working for me. but be warned. once you go Gingerbread with CM7 mods, you will never want to go back to 2.2 Froyo again.

Gingerbread is already a fast enough and pretty enough android but when you get all the crazy mods that CM7 lets you do, it makes froyo feel ancient.

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Another thanks to everyone. I'm just like the OP. After flashing to Backside IHO, I've found myself less interested in what the next best VM phone will be.

And I just found out about UOT Kitchen. Going to play with it later today.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Another thanks to everyone. I'm just like the OP. After flashing to Backside IHO, I've found myself less interested in what the next best VM phone will be.

And I just found out about UOT Kitchen. Going to play with it later today.

I'm interested in playing around with Backside soon. What recovery are you using?

Sent from my VM670

takehull

Hipster Retro Jelly Bean
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same thoughts lately even though I was planning on a jump to the Triumph when it came out, and I'm glad I spent that money on this new toy instead. I'll likely pick up the Black next February, as my little V will be around a year old at that point. I've had the little gut since before it was originally released, and due to some awesome developers I've had a great experience with the Optimus V. It'll likely be passed down to my younger brother who is also on VM, with a custom ROM and data2ext thrown on shortly afterward as a nice parting gift.

To Jerry, LeslieAnne, MMarz, elloie, blarf, and the others that have made this community an awesome one over the past seven months, thank you. You've helped make my experience with this phone am enjoyable one.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennygreene