The camera!!! The good, the bad & the ugly

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's just me but the camera still doesn't feel right.. One out three pictures still look crappy. I updated my new firmware last night, but the camera seems alittle better. I don't know maybe I'm just demanding to much.

I went from an LG Dare and the camera on that phone was amazing.. it took amazing pictures.

jdaly

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed a dramatic difference in the focusing, especially using the barcode scanner. Try it out again and see what you think. The focus used to go in an out while pressing down the side button, now it locks in really quick when you press it and scans the barcode immediately - barely have time to frame it.

As for the picture quality of the camera, I really haven't done enough testing on that.

MajorMajor

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
After updating OS the shutter and the flash are in synch now. Before the update any indoor pictures that I took were useless. Anyone else noticing this?

hookbill

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I didn't find anything wrong with the camera before the update. Matter of fact I can't find much wrong with the phone period.

I have 1 complaint and that's the fact that you can't do voice call with blue tooth. I'm stumped as how they could miss that, every flip phone does that.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I have been playing with it since my update yesterday.. It's okay, defiantly better then before. The real test is when i go to my next concert. The video on it is awesome.

I still think another update is needed for the focus.. it just doesn't have that crispness... and I think it's upsetting that I always have to have the flash on to take a decent indoor picture.

The camera on the droid is terrible compared to the iphone. My best friend and I did a comparison and his iphone took 3 pictures to my one in the same amount of time.

All in all i think it's a step in the right direction

deftdrummer

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The best camera is the one you've got with you. If it just so happens to be 5MP and has a flash there are worse things. Yes the iPhone 3GS renders saturation and white balance better when compared to the Droid, but by no means does that make the Droid a "lousy" camera.

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
The camera on the droid is terrible compared to the iphone. My best friend and I did a comparison and his iphone took 3 pictures to my one in the same amount of time.

Have your friend take an indoor pic with his iPhone .. no flash. When I am out, all of my iphone friends try to take a pic at a party or somewhere indoors and theirs dont turn out .. then I step in with my dual led Droid flash and snap away .. lol

And then they used to say, send that to my email b/c I can't get pics by txt .. (of course now they can but it took awhile) lol

there are some good tips on this site about tweaking the camera .. like setting auto focus to infinity, etc .. do a search. It helped my camera take good pics this weekend (indoors).

acidsamuraix

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
It's a fixed camera, the zoom (i'm almost positive) is digital, which is fake. Dont zoom in, just blow up a picture later and crop it, it's the same thing. When you zoom in with the camera, you're losing resolution.

The video cant do it likely because it would alter the size of the video picture on the fly, which would be pretty stupid.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think the update fixed it a little, but I always have to remind myself that it's a cell phone camera. It's not going to take absolutely beautiful pictures... That's what my SLR is for.
Regardless, it's a big jump from my last phone camera, which was only a dinky little 1 MP with no flash. So I'm happy regardless.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Exactly correct. Cell phone camera is just that and should never be a replacement for a real camera.

I agree and disagree. I always have my phone with me.. I'm not alway carrying my camera, I think a solid smartphone should have a solid camera on it. Now if I was a regular phone then hey thats fine but I have a droid and I want it to be prefect, including taking a clear picture.