The device or the app, this is a debate, sort of...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I was recently caught up in a debate over why someone's Twitter was only showing 24 notifications on an S10+. It's been forever since I've allowed notifications to just stack up but I've seen notification badges up to 99. I said, if this only seems to happen on Twitter it's the app. Someone else chimed in that it's a Samsung thing. I can't find anything to support either.

So your mission should you choose to accept it is to comment in this thread, or quote anything in this thread, so that AC will send me an email and I can get my email app badge to either stop at 24 or go beyond that, to end the debate once and for all. Unless you can point to a reliable source for the published answer. That would work too.

I tried quoting myself but AC sees that the same as commenting in your own thread and it doesn't count. I tried sending myself emails from different accounts but it is adding them to each other as conversations which only get counted once.

Can you help me?

The debate has ended and I was at least correct that the notification badges are not controlled by the device. I was able to exceed 24 unread notifications.

Last edited:

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I was recently caught up in a debate over why someone's Twitter was only showing 24 notifications on an S10+. It's been forever since I've allowed notifications to just stack up but I've seen notification badges up to 99. I said, if this only seems to happen on Twitter it's the app. Someone else chimed in that it's a Samsung thing. I can't find anything to support either.

So your mission should you choose to accept it is to comment in this thread, or quote anything in this thread, so that AC will send me an email and I can get my email app badge to either stop at 24 or go beyond that, to end the debate once and for all. Unless you can point to a reliable source for the published answer. That would work too.

I tried quoting myself but AC sees that the same as commenting in your own thread and it doesn't count. I tried sending myself emails from different accounts but it is adding them to each other as conversations which only get counted once.

Can you help me?
Hope this helps.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hope this helps.

Yeah it did but it only took me from 10 to 11. While 73 other people looked at the thread but couldn't be bothered. Kind of burns my biscuits though when I come on here and try to help others and I realize that only 1 in 3 posts anything, in this case 1 in 3 would have put me over the limit that I needed. I digress. To you though I say, Thank you.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Up to 100 now and no one can even put a "1" in the reply box and press reply?

Wow, I though we were better than that.

astrodan13

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Here's a screen shot of my home screen. It shows 85 new notifications on YouTube. Only have 2 unfortunately on my email app. I'm on a Samsung S10 + with Verizon. I don't believe Samsung limits your notification count. I'd think more maybe the app, app setting or possibly a setting on the phone somewhere. I've definitely have seen 99 notifications on a few apps on my phone before. Screenshot_20200326-233119_One%20UI%20Home.jpeg

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Here's a screen shot of my home screen. It shows 85 new notifications on YouTube. Only have 2 unfortunately on my email app. I'm on a Samsung S10 + with Verizon. I don't believe Samsung limits your notification count. I'd think more maybe the app, app setting or possibly a setting on the phone somewhere. I've definitely have seen 99 notifications on a few apps on my phone before. View attachment 318490

This was my point. I edited the opener to say that the debate was over, as you were posting this. Thank you for your support and the screenshot. My point to the other person was no one has enough time to sit and say, Twitter gets 24, YouTube gets 99, Chrome gets 50... for over 12 million apps. It doesn't even make sense that Samsung would care. Anyway they went on to say in another post that Samsung was also controlling the chronological order they were viewing their messages in and how many messages were being displayed. Again I pulled out a little logic and asked if anyone had that kind of time to say, Email newest to oldest, Netflix most popular to least, Facebook best friend to just friend... for millions of apps. Hahaha. Probably the same kind of person who bought 2 shopping carts full of double ply quilted. LOL

Thanks again to both of you.

astrodan13

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
You're welcome! Right now with the 85 YouTube notifications, I only show about 4 or 5 in the drop down menu. If I go into the app itself, it will show all of them. I still think it's probably a setting in the app itself or the app might only show a certain amount depending on the app in question. On the other hand, if you were never showing ANY notifications for any app, that would be a system wide notifications set to off. I believe it's also possible to only show notifications you want to show on an app by editing the notifications in the settings on the phone. For example, you want your email and text messages to show notifications, but not any other applications. I think you might be able to do that with the lock screen also. Android is definitely very customizable. I think that's what drives most people crazy. And the newer Samsung phones bury settings in other settings. It can get tricky sometimes.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Here's a screen shot of my home screen. It shows 85 new notifications on YouTube. Only have 2 unfortunately on my email app. I'm on a Samsung S10 + with Verizon. I don't believe Samsung limits your notification count. I'd think more maybe the app, app setting or possibly a setting on the phone somewhere. I've definitely have seen 99 notifications on a few apps on my phone before. View attachment 318490

that's not the Samsung email app you have there.

astrodan13

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I hope you don't think I was being condescending. I was a BlackBerry user for over 15 years. I only went android about 8 months ago and I'm still learning new tricks even to this day. Every Oem has its own tweaks that may not apply to other phones. I'm grateful that there are so many knowledgeable people in the forums, or I would be out of luck also. I was going crazy trying to get 'tap to wake' to work on my work issued Note 8. It doesn't have it! But my S10 + does. Even little things like that can be frustrating. I'm probably still in the crawling stage too with Android lol!
So here you go. Some of us are slower than others and need specific directions

astrodan13

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I actually prefer the BlackBerry Hub and app suite. I've also played around with the Outlook app and it works pretty close to the Hub. I'm so used to the Hub and it just works for me. On my work issued Note 8 I only use the Gmail app and I get lost in it. But it works.
that's not the Samsung email app you have there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali