The Difference Between HD and not-HD photos is HUGE

arrowsun

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
If you hear people complaining about photo quality on this phone, chances are they haven't found the switch-to-HD setting on the camera.

Phil Hamlin

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Have been nervous to adopt this phone for the camera concerns. My Note 2 is getting long in the tooth, but the camera has always been solid.

So... HDR mode, or HD? Please say more! Maybe a screenshot of the setting, and potentially, some lower light photo samples?

Thanks!!

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Judging by the two comparison photos, I'd say the OP is taking about HDR.

I agree when you're taking photos of landscapes or inanimate objects that HDR really has produced superior results for me on my OG Moto X.

And of course, scenes with lots of shadows and high contrast are improved.

Sent from my Moto X

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
HD (High Definition) is simply a video specification for how many pixels make up each frame. It's either 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i or 1080p). Neither of the photos you posted even approach those resolutions.

I suspect you are referring to HDR, or High Dynamic Range. That's a photographic technique where several shots are taken at various exposure values and then combining them to make a more lifelike image. Smartphones are amazing. The first HDR image I took I used a tripod, a Canon Rebel XSi, a nice lens, and several hours to process in Lightroom. Now it's all done automagically.